Old 08-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Krogen's roll. The difference with and without stabilizers is substantial with Bay Pelican. On a 30 year old boat for the east coast I would not invest the money. If you were on the west coast of the United States or going to the Caribbean (not the Bahamas), or up to Atlantic Canada/Maine it would be worthwhile.
Copy that, some people don't realize the Pacific Ocean can get fairly snotty, even in SoCal. I spent time on ships when I was younger and some of the worst weather we experienced was of the Central Coast, just north of Santa Barbara.

I still know enough to be dangerous about the subject. I am hoping to get out on a boat eventually with them, and more reading.

Tough call to make considering the expense. Also, coming off light weight ECs, I always said the next one would be as bullet proof as possible, with the least amount of moving parts as possible.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I'm sure there are some, but I've yet to run across anyone who has said, "I sure wish I didn't have stabilizers."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Fletcher,

On my boat (heavy w/ long roll period), I find the short steep chop to not affect the hull due to different roll periods. It is the longer, larger swell that makes me use the stabilizers, due to roll periods syncing up.

Make sense?

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Fletcher,

On my boat (heavy w/ long roll period), I find the short steep chop to not affect the hull due to different roll periods. It is the longer, larger swell that makes me use the stabilizers, due to roll periods syncing up.

Make sense?
I am trying to visualize it, but having trouble. I need to go the manufacturer site and learn more, than I should be able to understand what you are saying. I have been spending most of my free time looking at the other systems for the new boat purchase, and have not done the proper Stab research yet.

All good though, and I appreciate the feedback.

OP-I waited a few days before I started to ask questions because I did not want to high jack your thread. Rather than starting a new one, figured I would just jump in and hopefully some of the Q/A is also helpful for you.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Fletcher,

Make sense?
Exactly,

A longer roll period is more comfortable, although if it is too long it begins to decrease stability. Most boats have a roll period in seconds equal to about 1/3 of their beam in feet.

Lets say the boat's natural roll period is 5 seconds. A swell period of 4 seconds or 6 seconds will have a somewhat limited effect on the boat. But if the swell period is 5 seconds there will be problems. A swell period of 2.5 or 10 may also multiply the rolling effect in some circumstances because there is occasional synchronization of movement.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Exactly,

A longer roll period is more comfortable, although if it is too long it begins to decrease stability. Most boats have a roll period in seconds equal to about 1/3 of their beam in feet.

Lets say the boat's natural roll period is 5 seconds. A swell period of 4 seconds or 6 seconds will have a somewhat limited effect on the boat. But if the swell period is 5 seconds there will be problems. A swell period of 2.5 or 10 may also multiply the rolling effect in some circumstances because there is occasional synchronization of movement.
Offshore CA deep swell periods are 10 to 15 seconds. Big swells can be 18 or more...just a rough estimate.

I equate a 2.5 period to wind chop.

Are you saying you have swell periods of 2.5 to 10 seconds?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Offshore CA deep swell periods are 10 to 15 seconds. Big swells can be 18 or more...just a rough estimate.

I equate a 2.5 period to wind chop.

Are you saying you have swell periods of 2.5 to 10 seconds?
Our swell can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 20 seconds. Sometimes there are 2 swells at differing intervals and directions with winds from a third direction, so it can get very short and confused, especially in the backstairs passage where I do a lot of boating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstairs_Passage.

Fletcher - I find the the that it is easiest to understand the relationship between boat and swell is when anchored and the wind blows you beam to the swell. It might be no problem for a while, then the gentle rock suddenly just gets bigger and bigger. There has been no noticeable change to the swell size or direction. But the interval (frequency) has altered slightly, becoming in synch with your boats natural roll.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers