Stabilizers: A Must for Passage-Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The passive stabilization systems (paravane, rolling chocks, Flume tank) are very appealing in that they can function at anchor as well. Here in SoCal the anchorages are extremely rolly. We have a flop stopper off each midship cleat which helps a lot but it'd be great to pole them out.

Muirgen, do you use the same fish on your paravanes at anchor, or do you hook a separate device (i.e. flop stopper) for use at anchor?

We just use the same fish on the paravanes for flopper stoppers. Though I think there are actual flopper stoppers under the master bed, but we've never tried them, just use the regular paravanes.

SanFrancisco to Panamá

We have been cruising for just over 7 years full time, traveling from SF to Panamá, while spending 5 years going the US border as far south as Manzanillo Mexico, without stablizers We have cruised 30-40 miles off shore very successfully by picking out weather windows. Sure they would be nice, but money might be better spent on a good battery bank…maybe lithium, a good solar aray. A good water maker. These products allow you to stay off the dock and enjoy anchoring out. We have been off the dock for months at a time. We just finished two months in the San Blas Islands.

The question I think is more of, where do you plan on cruise, can you cover required distances in a few day,. Weather forecast now are good for 48-72 hours. how flexible is your schedule, can you wait for good weather windows.

It has worked for us we are just beginning a 2500 miles run from Panamá to Mexico on Tuesday without stabilization and that is not a concern for me, during coastal cruising.

I think the need for stabilizers is boat dependent in addition to the other deciding factors. Some boats have a more tolerable ride without them than others.

Lots of responses. We've been shopping for awhile and recently signed a contract. She is easily sea sick and we've had guests on our sailboat that get easily seasick. No brainer for us on stabilizers. What we're seeing as we've been looking...

1. There are almost as many full displacement trawlers with stabilizers as without. So it hasn't been difficult finding them with fins.

2. Price difference in much older (you're looking at an '85) boats isn't as great as if you are to add them after the fact. At least that's what we've seen as we've been looking.

3. Several older DeFevers on the market w/ stabilizers. They are great boats and you may want to get onto the DeFever Cruiser Forum and ask owners there. Also the forum has a 44 or two for sale with stabilizers.

4. Paravanes and flopper stoppers are less expensive solutions! But then they aren't deployed in crappy weather with just a push of a button. Although they are easier to maintain.

Enjoy the search....

Last edited:
Stabilizers !!

Passive stabilizers are for very few and are practical in only open ocean cruising.

We recently crossed the Pacific in June in our 2006 Diesel Duck 462-which was certainly designed to do exactly what she did - handle the seas with grace and glory-even in the worst of it with 40' seas. We had our stabilizers in the water the ENTIRE crossing - even on nice days. We pulled them in while we had a very calm day with minimal seas (under a foot) and the difference of the side to side motion was certainly noticeable and the speed once they were out wasn't even anything noticeable or anything to make the decision to keep them up or put them back in. The comfort of our crew was key and priority and it certainly was beneficial to have them in. Even in the worst of our journey - we lost the stbd side stabilizer and for 8 hours we were in high seas with only the port side in. Once we reached calmer seas-we thankfully had a back up spare-which I would absolutely recommend to have. I am so very thankful for our stabilizers and couldn't imagine how boats can cross without them...guess it just makes for a tougher belly!
www.mvlacosta.com/blog if you would like to read all about it.

We owned a 2001 DeFever 44+5 CPMY and used it for the Great Loop cruise. The full-length deep keel gave it plenty of lateral stability and the flat after section of the cockpit gave it form stability. I would not put stabilizers on this boat for a couple of reasons. 1st we wanted to do the loop and stabilizers in the canals just snagged stuff. 2nd, we wanted to go to the Bahamas and stabilizers were notorious for snagging sand bars. Newer ones today, will break away rather than holling the boat.

The 44 is different. The keel is shorter and the flat section is not that long compared to the 44+5. It is a boat that will let you know you're at sea.

But let's talk about that.

If you plan to just cruise around Kentucky and the rivers. I wouldn't bother.

If you're planning on doing the Great Loop, you won't see 3 to 6 foot seas unless you missed the NOAA broadcast before heading out so, I wouldn't bother. Only one short segment between Atlantic City and NY will you be offshore (or you could take the ICW, but you need to pay attention and not miss a buoy). If you do hit rough seas, drive from below. You won't be thrown from side to side - woohoo and you won't have the 1st mate screaming, "get me off this effing boat!"

If you're planning on Passagemaking and extended offshore cruising, well then that's another story all together. Put on the stabilizers. I like the rolling but the first mate, well that's another story.

These full-displacement passagemaking boats have wine-glass hull forms like sailboats and are designed to roll with the sea. Keeps it from being a "white knuckle" ride.

Consider stabilizers on an offshore passagemaking boat for SAFETY as much as for COMFORT.

Being in big seas in a rolling boat stresses and tires virtually everyone aboard, and having stabilizers smooths out the roll and makes onboard life both safer and far more comfortable.

Tired, worn-out captains and crewmembers make many more errors, and such errors lead bad judgment and endanger both the boat and the crew.

Even with great weather routing, you cannot always avoid bad weather, especially on ocean crossings, but stabilizers will help your boat and your crew weather the storms with more comfort and safety.

I crossed the Atlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Gibraltar as captain of my Nordhavn 47 with both stabilizers and paravanes, and the passage was a good test. In my experience, the paravanes were about two-thirds as effective as the stabilizers as reducing roll, but they impose a significant drag penalty (roughly 1 knot at a nominal 7-knot speed of advance), which active fin stabilizers do not. Also, keep in mind that setting and retrieving paravanes typically requires two people and takes 15-20 minutes, depending on sea conditions. Stabiizers turn on and off at the flick of a switch.

If you have a sailing background, rigging, deploying and recovering paravanes is much easier to understand because of the many lines involved--sheets, guys, halyards, downhauls and more. While non-sailors can learn the rigging, it doesn't come natural.

Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:
My Willard 40 has a round bottom and came equipped with paravanes. For 15 years in the Sea of Cortez I used them about 30% of the time. In Alaska I almost never used them except in the open ocean. Coming down the coast from Alaska to Mexico I had them deployed the entire time.

I personally would never purchase a boat with active stabilizers. They do a better job of stabilizing than paravanes but require expensive maintenance. They are also susceptible to snag kelp or crab trap lines. I almost purchased a Willard 36 once that had active fins but when i inquired the cost to remove them it killed the deal. I am in a minority who feels this way but, for cruising away from shoreside support I believe a boat should be as simple as possible.

If, like Peter, I had owned a boat with active fins, I may have felt differently.

If you are comfortable with paying US prices for boat mechanical maintenance ( ~$120/hr) then get them. If you wish to keep things simple, install paravanes.

I also installed roll chocks two years ago in Mexico and found that I then used the paravanes less. But for lots of open ocean passages you probably want something better, like paravanes.

Whoever tells you that paravanes are difficult to launch and retrieve does not have a proper rig.

My Willard 30 was also a rolly boat. i used her for 22 years in Alaska and the inside passage and never had stabilization. Sometimes it was very uncomfortable but that discomfort was not worth another $50k and the every-two-years required maintenance to the seals. It was not even worth the cost to install paravanes. But SE Alaska has very little open ocean water.

I think your decision boils down to how you would use those funds if you don’t spend it on the boat. No one who already has spent money on active stabilization will tell you it was money wasted. But that is human nature.

Yes yes yes!!!!

Hello, we're new to the group, sorry for a greenhorn question.

We are considering purchase of a 1985 DeFever 44 Offshore, but is has no stabilizers. It's our first large (to us) boat. We will be living aboard full-time, cruising open ocean a lot of the time, and several people have shared they would NEVER buy an ocean-going boat without stabilizers. While this boat can withstand WAY worse weather than we can, we (and especially the Admiral) don't want an overly roly-poly ride in even mild weather. We've heard from other DeFever owners that without stabilizers this boat will roll 40+ degrees in 5-8ft seas, still perfectly safe but no one will be keeping their lunch down. Adding stabilizers would be roughly $70K extra cost.

Are we just putting too much emphasis on the rough ride, or do others feel it's important to have stabilizers?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
Kevin & Kellie

My wife and I have been cruising the North Atlantic coast from the Bahamas to Nova Scotia. Cruised in all kinds of weather and waves. Our last two boats were a 55 and a 65’ trawler. We would NEVER consider owning or traveling on a boat without stabilizers. NEVER!

On the occasional time we were forced to due to a hydraulic malfunction we knew the real value of them.

Another time is in the calm waters of the ICW. Cruising along at 9-10 knots we are targets for the sport fishing boats that have little regard for their wakes. Even with stabilizers their wakes can wreak havoc when they pass.

Consider stabilizers on an offshore passagemaking boat for SAFETY as much as for COMFORT.

Being in big seas in a rolling boat stresses and tires virtually everyone aboard, and having stabilizers smooths out the roll and makes onboard life both safer and far more comfortable.

Tired, worn-out captains and crewmembers make many more errors, and such errors lead bad judgment and endanger both the boat and the crew.

Agree 100%. After a week rolling in 25+ footers the two things I suffered from were fatigue from the constant motion (no sea sickness thankfully) and from the noise (Jimmies and poor engine room sound insulation).

5-8 foot seas without stabilizers?

Hi K & K...
We have a DF 49 Euro with stabilizers. Prior to that we had a 40' Fathom w/o fins and the difference is night and day. We took the fathom across the Strait of Juan de Fuca in the Fathom with a beam sea for about 30+ miles and my wife was ready to disown me...

On the other hand, we brought our DF around from Seattle and we're currently in Boston for the summer. Reasonable beam seas don't bother us, but, depending on the interval, with 5-8 foot seas on the beam or nose outside the breakwater, and we'll probably choose to hang out for a day or two. Perhaps if it's 5' following sea, I'd try it... Even with stabilizers, I normally look for the interval to be 2-3 seconds longer than the highest reported seas, so 5-8' seas would require an interval of 8-11 seconds... Also, keep in mind that a report of 5-8' seas means that there will be an occasional 10-12 footer thrown in just to keep you humble...

Of course the boat will handle much larger seas, but I'll guarantee than the crew will not be looking kindly on the Captain even after a pretty short trip in short interval 5-8' seas...

Just my two cents...

Stabilizer from Oz

70k seems a lot. Are they the powered fins (which only work when underway)?
A lot of trawlers in Australia fit what are called "bat wings". They consist of a foil or solid 11/2" plate fixed at the waterline on each beam. They can be mechanically raised and lowered and locked in position. A mate just fitted them for 16k and they make a huge difference while underway or at anchor. The only time he lifts them is when coming in to a Dock.

A lot of trawlers in Australia fit what are called "bat wings". They consist of a foil or solid 11/2" plate fixed at the waterline on each beam. They can be mechanically raised and lowered and locked in position. A mate just fitted them for 16k and they make a huge difference while underway or at anchor. The only time he lifts them is when coming in to a Dock.

Could you post some pictures? Pretty sure I haven't seen a retractable version.

Ted

Short answer: absolutely not necessary. We cruised over 45,000 miles in two trawlers without stabilizers. If you need your boat to be more like your home and are looking for a way to spend more money, then consider stabilizers; if you understand that your boat is a boat, maybe bumpy at times, don't!

Hello, we're new to the group, sorry for a greenhorn question.

We are considering purchase of a 1985 DeFever 44 Offshore, but is has no stabilizers. It's our first large (to us) boat. We will be living aboard full-time, cruising open ocean a lot of the time, and several people have shared they would NEVER buy an ocean-going boat without stabilizers. While this boat can withstand WAY worse weather than we can, we (and especially the Admiral) don't want an overly roly-poly ride in even mild weather. We've heard from other DeFever owners that without stabilizers this boat will roll 40+ degrees in 5-8ft seas, still perfectly safe but no one will be keeping their lunch down. Adding stabilizers would be roughly $70K extra cost.

Are we just putting too much emphasis on the rough ride, or do others feel it's important to have stabilizers?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
Kevin & Kellie

Could you post some pictures? Pretty sure I haven't seen a retractable version.

Ted
Look on Youtube for "Project Brupeg". It covers these extensively. It's a steel trawler, so not sure if they can be applied to fiberglass.

Interesting to hear from cruisers who have done some extensive ocean crossings.

There are a few exceptions, but the majority of people who have stabilization on their boat generally love them, and wouldn’t get another boat without them.

I am only in the coastal cruising category, but log some fairly extensive miles in unprotected waters since I retired 3 years ago. This is our first boat with Stab, and very thankful for it.

Bluewater N47 in post #70 makes some important points.

I guess we must be lucky in our part of the world

Coastal cruising manages to get us within several days of open water passages to other lands
And weather can be glassy calm for those passages if you plan and wait for them.

Have done several runs to New Caledonia and Vanuatu on various vessels under 55ft - 1100nm of open ocean 6d 6h @7.5kn from Brisbane, no stabilisation and no spillages.

To go to New Guinea is 800nm of coastal then 450nm of open ocean 2d 11h @7.5kn

To go South East Asia is 2500nm of coastal then 250nm of open ocean 1d 11h @7.5kn

Everything onwards after that is pretty much day tripping.

Would I like stabilisers on our current vessel?
Absolutely and if it was achievable under $10k I'd be on it.
But I believe passage planning and no schedule is more important than stabilisers.
Sit back, have a drink, take in the scenery and wait

We lived aboard our DeFever 44 for several years, without stabilizers. I agree the boat can handle seas far better than our bodies. But I would not have that boat again without stabilizers. We looked into adding them and the cost was prohibitive. There was no problem when we were punching into waves, and most times, but not all, when they were from behind. But any other direction was not comfortable, or safe, especially on long passages or going through the night. It drives the depth sounder crazy too.
Having said all this, a friend had a repair of theirs and it was many thousands of dollars. If you can, wait for a stabilized boat and be sure your surveyor knows to check them thoroughly, age and condition.

You will live to regret it

Short answer: absolutely not necessary. We cruised over 45,000 miles in two trawlers without stabilizers. If you need your boat to be more like your home and are looking for a way to spend more money, then consider stabilizers; if you understand that your boat is a boat, maybe bumpy at times, don't!

Given that you have a choice get a boat with stabilizers. You wife will hate you if you do not.

Short answer: absolutely not necessary… If you need your boat to be more like your home and are looking for a way to spend more money, then consider stabilizers; if you understand that your boat is a boat, maybe bumpy at times, don't!

This POV overlooks that some passengers and crew may not be as comfortable with boat motion as a typical captain. Following this I would have to leave my wife at home for much of the cruising outside the breakwater, which I prefer not to do.

Details and pictures please

Look at the content from my selection of YouTube videos for Savage the Trawler. There are some shots of the vanes in action and others showing mountings and rigging. There's even some footage of a sailboat in Cape May helping me fix a 'birds nest' when I got caught half deployed with rough waves.

Look at the content from my selection of YouTube videos for Savage the Trawler. .

Nice one but steel boat makes things easier therefore cheaper
and the mast was already there I'm guessing

But to add a mast to a boat without one or framework to support those loads especially if bulkheads aren't in the right place to support it will add a whole new magnitude of $$

Still sticking with our $30,000 guestimate based on others that have done the design and framework from scratch
And that framework will then be shading our solar as well
So not as easy or cheap for some unfortunately

Last edited:
My Willard 40 has a round bottom and came equipped with paravanes. For 15 years in the Sea of Cortez I used them about 30% of the time. In Alaska I almost never used them except in the open ocean. Coming down the coast from Alaska to Mexico I had them deployed the entire time.

I personally would never purchase a boat with active stabilizers. They do a better job of stabilizing than paravanes but require expensive maintenance. They are also susceptible to snag kelp or crab trap lines. I almost purchased a Willard 36 once that had active fins but when i inquired the cost to remove them it killed the deal. I am in a minority who feels this way but, for cruising away from shoreside support I believe a boat should be as simple as possible.

If, like Peter, I had owned a boat with active fins, I may have felt differently.

If you are comfortable with paying US prices for boat mechanical maintenance ( ~$120/hr) then get them. If you wish to keep things simple, install paravanes.

I also installed roll chocks two years ago in Mexico and found that I then used the paravanes less. But for lots of open ocean passages you probably want something better, like paravanes.

Whoever tells you that paravanes are difficult to launch and retrieve does not have a proper rig.

My Willard 30 was also a rolly boat. i used her for 22 years in Alaska and the inside passage and never had stabilization. Sometimes it was very uncomfortable but that discomfort was not worth another $50k and the every-two-years required maintenance to the seals. It was not even worth the cost to install paravanes. But SE Alaska has very little open ocean water.

I think your decision boils down to how you would use those funds if you don’t spend it on the boat. No one who already has spent money on active stabilization will tell you it was money wasted. But that is human nature.

15 years with Trac stabilizers. Zero maintenance cost except once every 7 years they are to be pulled, bearings replaced, etc. Not sure what that cost was, but around $1500 from memory, or around $200/year. Yawn.

We had pretty much the same experience on our boat with paravanes. About 5 min to launch, 8/10 to bring in and lift. Ran a N46 up the coast of California with electric winches to retrieve, took 5 min max. The place they stow the fish was a P.I.T.A. but the system worked well. It lost .5kt at the same rpm cruising vs. running clean. If I was setting up a new offshore boat I most likely would do paravanes as they are slightly more complicated that an anvil if set up right. It is for simplicity only I would go that way. On a coastal boat I would do active fins. Gyros seem cool but they freak me out a bit.
As we look for the next boat some system is a must if I want the Admiral to be at all happy.
Hollywood

Hollywood, my personal opinion is that active fins seem to improve efficiency. I suppose it's because they keep the vessel more on the designed water line (upright), rather than heeling with a bit of helm wandering. The Floscan verified this in trials.

I guess we must be lucky in our part of the world

Coastal cruising manages to get us within several days of open water passages to other lands
And weather can be glassy calm for those passages if you plan and wait for them.

Have done several runs to New Caledonia and Vanuatu on various vessels under 55ft - 1100nm of open ocean 6d 6h @7.5kn from Brisbane, no stabilisation and no spillages.

To go to New Guinea is 800nm of coastal then 450nm of open ocean 2d 11h @7.5kn

To go South East Asia is 2500nm of coastal then 250nm of open ocean 1d 11h @7.5kn

Everything onwards after that is pretty much day tripping.

Would I like stabilisers on our current vessel?
Absolutely and if it was achievable under $10k I'd be on it.
But I believe passage planning and no schedule is more important than stabilisers.
Sit back, have a drink, take in the scenery and wait

Yes! plan your travel days for good weather, and hang out in port during bad weather.

Haven't seen raising batwings.
The wings I am familiar with are horizontal sheet steel, 1/2" or so, affixed beneath the keel, extending to the maximum beam and secured in place by verticals that are bolted to the hull above the WL. They work well on FD boats with round hulls. Always in use, little or no drag losses.

Interesting topic. Always interesting to see when a convenience becomes a necessity.

"I would never buy a car without cup holders. I didn't have them in the past and constantly spilled my beer. Never again. I don't know how people lived without them."

Now if cup holders were $28,000 (and a $9,000 install), maybe more would go old school and get by without cup holders.

I read an article on the effectiveness of stabilizers (which I now can't find again) that was interesting in that it rated the systems by "real world" usefulness for recreational boats. Probably not something that the sellers of stabilizing systems would agree with. The expensive gyro stabilizers rated slightly better than paravanes, hydraulic fins, bilge keels, etc. All of them were in the 30-40% effective range. Why was that? Because a $35,000 gyro system doesn't work when it is turned off (like when at anchor). If turned on at anchor, it requires running a generator constantly to power the thing and noise/fuel burn/maintenance was figured in to this study's "effectiveness." Upon seeing an approaching cargo ship in calm seas, the generator and gyro can be turned on and will hopefully spin up in time to neutralize the ship's giant wake. If not, that's $35K for nothing. The gyro system can hold the boat rock solid when running, but when figuring in overall cost, not so effective. Same with paravanes. Only work when moving, increase fuel burn, installation and maintenance cost all reduced the overall "effectiveness" of the system. Some would pay any amount for a boat that doesn't bob on the water (causing unsecured items to tip over!), but this article was looking at "bob per buck."

The highest rated stabilizer system? Anti-roll tanks. Granted the actual effect in reducing a roll is way less than a gyro system (when running), but the anti-roll tank is "always on," zero maintenance, and relatively inexpensive to install. The article rated anti-roll tanks at above 70% effectiveness. I can hear the howling protests.

I've been experimenting with an anti-roll system on my boat. I'm into it almost $100 for my system. My wife noticed the difference even when tied up in the marina (we get an occasional wake from ferries). Probably the subject of another post, but something that might be considered by anyone looking at a "necessary" stabilizing system.
Wow!
You really should start making these and sell them for $200

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom