Stabicraft? Anyone have one, or have experience with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stabicraft tender

Any Stabicraft would make a marvelous tender for a big boat. I have had 300 hours aboard a 2050 Fisher I recently sold. They are very well made, minimal maintenance, unsinkable and virtually indestructible. It is not a coincidence that they are the craft of choice for most of New Zealand’s maritime rescue services. With prudence I made numerous traverses of the Columbia River Bar and also ran the boat from Seattle to Ketchikan. The boat was always willing to take more than I could, very confidence instilling. One thing ... these boats ride ROUGH in big water. They are bouyant as a wood chip, literally able to jump from one wave crest to the next. The boat itself will not be the limiting factor. The light weight does, however, translate into remarkable fuel efficiency. My 20 foot boat had a max HP rating iof 150. Powered by a Honda 135, my Floscan showed 3.4 mpg running 30 mph enroute to AL. I only sold my Stabicraft to gain some creature comforts, 600 miles is a long way without a head ... not really a factor for a tender.

Attachments

• 30B3A93E-02F8-43B8-B1E5-1FF1BB629BCF.jpg
    30B3A93E-02F8-43B8-B1E5-1FF1BB629BCF.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 52
Stabicraft 2100

I recently purchased a new Stabicraft 2100 complemented with foam filled pontoons, 6mm hull, 200HP Mercury Pro XS. We have been stacking on the hours this summer, despite the weather not being the best. I have taken it out 1.5 meter swells with 25 knot wind here in NZ. The only other boats out in that stuff was large sailing boats and 10 metre flying bridge fibreglass charters.

I purchased the boat due to its well known safety and the fact that most deaths here in NZ are on boats less than 6 meters in length. Many have commented on slapping hulls and wet rides... I can say, that I have not found this to be true. In meter swells, this boat can cruise at 3500 RPM 41KPH... if everyone on board is up for it... I find the waves actually fold under the hull design and smooth out the ride. I have had 2.5 meter waves come over the top where all you see is blue sea in through the cabin windscreen... hahhaha... always time to slow down and take things a bit calmer... We have really enjoyed jumping it... particularly when going with the waves and wind.. I guess you can say it is a rugged beast that instills confidence and ahem.. boytoy fun... It is a stable ride... particularly at rest. What I really like about it...is that in rough seas.. you can have three large men on one side leaning to see a catch and the boat hardly tilts...

I do wish that it had more room up front for someone to sit, as we often beach it on the islands and its nice to have someone spotting for rocks...

I have lived in Washington, Oregon and have done heaps of fishing in
Alaska and I can definitely recommend it as a strong contender to the alloy boats made in Oregon, Washington and Canada... I personally love the look of the boat.. It just looks rugged and mean... and it lives up to the look. Happy to answer questions... BTW... I am in no way affiliated with Stabicraft and Mercury... just an average 9-5 guy who likes a bit of fun on the weekends with the kids and friends...

Stabicraft, butt ugly at best. The boat you have when you know nothing about boats. Just joking.
I have an aluminium tender, only 3.7 mts but pretty beamy and fitted with flotation collars (inflatable) called Aero Floats ( Airofloat Stabilizers) They offer great protection to the mother ship, fantastic stability and really good for we older folk who still free dive, to get in and out of the water.
They are easy to install and remove, just fitted with sail track on side of dinghy.

I wouldn't call them ugly Benn, (by the way, where are yuh - haven't seen a post from you for yonks), but rather like the Super Sarca anchor I used to own and love...not ugly but no-nonsense, business-like, in a pleasingly agricultural and functional sort of way... :D

Attachments

• 1550-fisher-66.jpg
    1550-fisher-66.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 99A96B4E-28BB-4D62-8B3F-1118DEE1DFD3_1_105_c.jpeg
    99A96B4E-28BB-4D62-8B3F-1118DEE1DFD3_1_105_c.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
A friend just bought a Stabi about a year ago, 18' I think. I fished out of it a couple days last summer. The welding and general build quality seemed good. The pointed nose though must be an acquired taste.

Twisted: Doesn't Nordhavn throw in a tricked out "freebie" tender for the owner after spending several million dollars?? Lol. Hopefully at least the bubbly is gratis at the launching!!

Back
Top Bottom