Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
City of Stuart FL Suing Corps.

So they are suing the Corps to "drain" Lake Okeechobee to 11 feet! How does this affect those crossing?

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus..._hsmi=82544367
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
11 feet would lower the main channel to 5 feet and the rim to 3.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Looks like it's going to be the Keys for us
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Aren't these the same people who maintain the waterways and dredge and mark channels all over the country? Geez. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
The Lake O discharge is a big, big problem. I realize that it makes it harder on those of us who may want to cross the lake, but we need to see the bigger picture here. South Florida is on the verge of environmental collapse due to the mismanagement of the lake for many years by many different groups, agriculture south of the lake (big sugar) being chief amongst them.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Doubt anything will change for this summer or next. The Corp will tell them that lake level and water discharge are directed by Congress. If the rainy season and or one or more hurricanes fill the lake up to levels deemed risky, they will take measures they deem appropriate as directed by Congress. As to fertilizer and other contaminants that may be getting pumped into the lake and tributaries, they aren't mandated to control that. Again, a problem Congress will need to address.

While I'm sympathetic to the problem, it's like asking your local police department to not enforce the law. They will tell you to get the law changed.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Actually the levels were very close to that in 2019. We're talking about hitting that level on June 1 and I know it was around 11.2 last year.

The Corps spokesman was talking about how bad it was, lake businesses were, and residents were complaining.

As in all matters Okeechobee there are many sides, far more than two. Stuart is also referencing EPA regulations that the EPA just decided to not enforce.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Maybe they will dredge the shallow spots.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:52 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
Can someone explain the fill/drain cycles of the lake, and what the issues are? The article gave no insight into what the problem is, other than discharges down the St Lucie.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
The Feds will do whatever they want, public be daymned.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Can someone explain the fill/drain cycles of the lake, and what the issues are? The article gave no insight into what the problem is, other than discharges down the St Lucie.
The lake fills during the rainy season (summer) and tropical storms. Farmers can draw water from the waterways for irrigation. Because much of the farm land is low lying, they also are allowed to pump excess rainwater (with fertilizer) back into the waterways. Dumping this excess water changes the salinity balance in brackish areas which can kill marine organisms. Also the fertilizer is supposedly linked to algae blooms and fish kills. When the water gets extremely high, there is an added risk of the dikes surrounding the Okeechobee, failing. Dumping large volumes for long periods dramatically impacts the ocean and gulf around the waterway areas (bad for tourism). The Corps is mandated by Congress to maintain the waterway and control the Okeechobee's water level. The lake area is so large that rainfall and water from tributaries can raise the lake several times faster that it can be drained during the rainy period. So, lowering the Lake needs to be accomplished before the rainy period and excessive draining may be necessary after a hurricane dumps water in the region.

Ted
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The lake fills during the rainy season (summer) and tropical storms. Farmers can draw water from the waterways for irrigation. Because much of the farm land is low lying, they also are allowed to pump excess rainwater (with fertilizer) back into the waterways. Dumping this excess water changes the salinity balance in brackish areas which can kill marine organisms. Also the fertilizer is supposedly linked to algae blooms and fish kills. When the water gets extremely high, there is an added risk of the dikes surrounding the Okeechobee, failing. Dumping large volumes for long periods dramatically impacts the ocean and gulf around the waterway areas (bad for tourism). The Corps is mandated by Congress to maintain the waterway and control the Okeechobee's water level. The lake area is so large that rainfall and water from tributaries can raise the lake several times faster that it can be drained during the rainy period. So, lowering the Lake needs to be accomplished before the rainy period and excessive draining may be necessary after a hurricane dumps water in the region.

Ted

Excellent, thanks. You would think an article on the subject could include such useful information to people can better understand the issues, or at least look at them in context....

So Stewart is asking them to pre-drain in the early summer to head off massive draining later in the wet season?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Excellent, thanks. You would think an article on the subject could include such useful information to people can better understand the issues, or at least look at them in context....

So Stewart is asking them to pre-drain in the early summer to head off massive draining later in the wet season?
They normally lower the Lake level (which takes quite a while) to get it to a low level prior to the rainy season. Part of what's missing from the law suit is the understanding that this is a federal waterway and the Corps is tasked with maintaining it at a navigable level for COMMERCIAL traffic in addition to maintaining safe lake levels. The lawsuit looks to make it unnavigable for tugs and barges for an extended period in the spring early summer.

To better understand recent historic lake levels, go to the below website. Scroll down to the graph, and change the start date from 2019 to 2016. If you look at the water levels line between June and October of 2017, you will realize how limited the Corps ability to control lakes levels is once the rainy season hits. This is combined with a lack of truly good information on the original quality of the dikes. In a perfect world, dredging route number 1 across the lake from Port Mayaca lock to the Rim canal entrance at Clewiston, an additional 9' would allow the Lake to be maintained at a much safer level. You would probably see a lot more dry areas where vegetation could get a foothold and dramatically improve water quality in the lake.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/d...ate=2020-01-29

Ted
Old 01-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Sounds like out west and the Columbia River. The lakes behind the dams on the Columbia River are lowered to accept the winter rains and spring run off. The Department of Energy (BPA) has gotten in trouble with the courts for letting out too much water in a short time and killing salmon runs.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
They normally lower the Lake level (which takes quite a while) to get it to a low level prior to the rainy season. Part of what's missing from the law suit is the understanding that this is a federal waterway and the Corps is tasked with maintaining it at a navigable level for COMMERCIAL traffic in addition to maintaining safe lake levels. The lawsuit looks to make it unnavigable for tugs and barges for an extended period in the spring early summer.

To better understand recent historic lake levels, go to the below website. Scroll down to the graph, and change the start date from 2019 to 2016. If you look at the water levels line between June and October of 2017, you will realize how limited the Corps ability to control lakes levels is once the rainy season hits. This is combined with a lack of truly good information on the original quality of the dikes. In a perfect world, dredging route number 1 across the lake from Port Mayaca lock to the Rim canal entrance at Clewiston, an additional 9' would allow the Lake to be maintained at a much safer level. You would probably see a lot more dry areas where vegetation could get a foothold and dramatically improve water quality in the lake.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/d...ate=2020-01-29

Ted
Is there really much barge traffic? I am sure there is a COE site which tells, but I do not remember seeing any barge traffic during my several transits of the lake.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Is there really much barge traffic? I am sure there is a COE site which tells, but I do not remember seeing any barge traffic during my several transits of the lake.
There is some smaller barge and tug traffic, mostly construction and dredge equipment. Some commercial fishing boats also cross through. As with many things, it's about potential. Have a disaster (hurricane) and traffic ramps up some. I would guess there is also some maintaining of turf with the Corps. They certainly have a vested budget interest in maintaining the amount of federal waterway they oversee.

Ted
Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Thanks for that info.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I may be mis-remembering but I think "someone"??? runs a barge through the Erie canal on an annual basis so it can retain it's commercial status. Something to do with NY state getting federal grants for the operation of a commercial enterprise. If this is the case in NY, might be the same for FL.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Ted is exactly right. The one thing that I would add though, and it is significant, is that the lake water is often so chock full of fertilizers and nitrogen (from many sources, north and south of the lake, residential and commercial) that in summertime it sometimes gets clogged with poisonous algae. Big discharges make the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee watersheds so dirty that you can't enter the water and it creates respiratory issues for many people.

Pretty strong evidence that the dirty lake water also greatly contributes to the abnormal growth of naturally occurring red tide, which two years ago caused massive fish kills, wide spread health issues, and tremendous negative impacts to tourist based businesses.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I may be mis-remembering but I think "someone"??? runs a barge through the Erie canal on an annual basis so it can retain it's commercial status. Something to do with NY state getting federal grants for the operation of a commercial enterprise. If this is the case in NY, might be the same for FL.
Maybe years ago but there is a very active tug company called NYS Marine Highway Transportation Co. They hava n aggregate transportation biz and project cargo biz between NY city and Lake Erie.