Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

SSB license and call sign

I just installed a ssb on my vessel and am leaving for Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and on to the Virgin Islands.
My question is, Can I get away without going through the process of getting a call sign and license to use the radio for infrequent communications and to become a sponsor vessel with Chris Parkers weather net? Do I need a separate license in foreign waters?
If the majority of answers is no, then whats the easiest and best way to go about satisfying our greedy government and giving them the right to know where I'm at at all times.
ratzo ritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Guru

RE: SSB license and call sign

You don't use a call on an SSB, but you are required to have an FCC station license and all other countries officially are participants in a treaty accepting the FCC license. Each country you enter will have their own rules and requirements if you don't have the FCC license. I don't think I understand how having a license for your SSB will give any government the ability to track your whereabouts. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

I think both you guys need to have a look at the regs.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #4

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

When you check you will also find that you are supposed to have a license for your vhf if transmitting on it in a foreign country. ie Bahamas etc.
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
RickB wrote:

I think both you guys need to have a look at the regs.
So would you just like to make an offhanded statement or perhaps clarify? Chuck

Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Guru

Jim, You are correct in that FCC regulations state that if you have a VHF and use it in a foreign country you need to get a license. If one is to apply for the license it is good practice to simply tick off everything on the sheet so if you add equipment you will already have the paperwork. Chuck
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

You need a restricted radiotelephone operator's license for each person who will operate the SSB, and a ship's station license for the boat. As others have mentioned, you need a license for the VHF as well in foreign countries.
http://www.hfradio.com/license.html
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...me&id=maritime
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home*Online licensing.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Guru

The Bahamas does require US vessels to have an FCC licensed for both VHF and SSB as well as a Bahamas reciprocal license for Ham operation. Chuck
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Ratzo Rizo, I sent a private mesage about your trip to your profile page.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #10

I guess what I meant when I started this thread is what I really need and what I can get away with by non compliance to all the licensing and hoops to jump through in order to communicate with someone freely over the airwaves. I'll be leaving in 6 weeks and will not be returning anytime soon to the U.S. so I'm not trying to be a rebel by any means . Just trying to save some money and aggravation. Does anyone know of anyone else who has been caught and prosecuted either here or overseas and what the penalty is?
Thanks for all your input and help.

Ratzo
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Oh, they sieze all your radio equipment, fine the hell out of you and possibly lock you up to ensure payment.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #12

Keith, I guess I look more on the bright side of things and its too bad your such a pessimist. Again, do you know anyone personally that has been fined, had their boat seized, and thrown in jail?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Guru

RR, You have to understand that the folks that visit this board is just a very small sampling of boaters and an even smaller sampling of actual cruisers. So your not going to get an answer to your question that will help you and I would be very surprised if anyone here or anywhere else will encourage you to break the law no matter how minor. If you want to ignore regulations and take your chances that is your decision and not a path that most cruisers decide to take. We try and obey the laws within our own country as well as the laws and regulations of the countries we visit. If you chose to do otherwise that is solely something you need to decide yourself and deal with the consequences if you do get caught. It is not fair to come here and ask others to help you justify that decision. Chuck
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
ratzo ritzo wrote:... I can get away with by non compliance to all the licensing and hoops to jump through in order to communicate with someone freely over the airwaves.
*Those two conditions are mutually exclusive.

You have probably spent more time on "paperwork" talking about it here than you would to fill in the applications and if the license cost*is too much, you can't afford boating.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

You can have an intermediary (several on the internet to choose from) do all of your paperwork and you have your MMSI # and FCC license back within a week or so. Maybe about $125 and very hassle free. MMSI #*is important/essential for your EPIRB. If you are worried about being tracked, then suggest you solicit advice from a cartel member. Being tracked and found during an emergency*is what safe and prudent boating is all about.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #16

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

Rick is correct. It takes less that 30 minutes on the internet to apply for the licenses, I think Keith has already supplied the links and I believe you get them in about 2 weeks. Meeting licensing requirements, sewage requiremenst, state and or federal registration requirements etc., are all part of boating and the cost of boating.
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #17

Ok guys,
Sorry if I seem like a lawbreaking rebel. Now that I do have your input I will go ahead and register online. Can anyone give me the correct site or sites to do so and current pricing?
Thanks for all your help. Chuck(and others) I understand completely where your coming from. I was on the phone an hour a couple weeks ago with FCC and thay confused me more than helped. If you say it is easy to accomplish online than I will do so at any suggested sites.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
Guru

RR, Go here and it will walk you through it
http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/ne...ense-steps.pdf
Chuck