SS El Faro Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent points about ships underway.

No ship gets underway made up for a hurricane that I know of.

Things are done in anticipation of it, sometimes mere hours before, hopefully they ramp up as the danger increases.

Excellent points about ships underway.

No ship gets underway made up for a hurricane that I know of.

Things are done in anticipation of it, sometimes mere hours before, hopefully they ramp up as the danger increases.

But if you didn't load and secure the cargo right to start with you're in trouble and if the engines are not in good working order. These are not hurricane preparation items as such, but things to always do. If, however, you have a vessel that you know isn't in the best condition, is ready for major work to be done, then you sail it only in far more benign conditions, much like transporting a plane.

Not sure surface has nearly caught up to aviation...but it is trying....

as a result of this thread I learned about the book "Until The Sea Shall Free Them" about the Marine Electric sinking. I'm only 50 pages or so into it...but its a good read if anyone is interested.

as a result of this thread I learned about the book "Until The Sea Shall Free Them" about the Marine Electric sinking. I'm only 50 pages or so into it...but its a good read if anyone is interested.

Good book! I dove the Marine Electric 4 months after it sank, and almost every year since. Amazing to think a vessel that big could sink within 30 miles of land and almost everybody perished.

Ted

Old Sea Captains Error to The Side Of Caution. The Captains That Don't Never Live Long Enough To Be Old.

Good book! I dove the Marine Electric 4 months after it sank, and almost every year since. Amazing to think a vessel that big could sink within 30 miles of land and almost everybody perished.

Ted

I'd never before read much about the Marine Electric tragedy. Some of the items like ship's length increase, its age and deck hatch cover conditions reminds me of other large carrying ship catastrophes. Interesting how in the last sentence of the last paragraph it shows that "Congress" actually can do some good work... not often, but sometimes anyway... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Marine_Electric

Quote from Wikipedia report: "Later, as a direct result of the casualties on the Marine Electric, Congress pushed for and the Coast Guard eventually established the now famous Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer program."

This is particularly to Mr. "H", and all others who bleed Irish... Happy St. Patties Day - A day late, but not a dollar short! BTW, had two great big Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwiches on rye yesterday... to keep the faith! :dance:

This is particularly to Mr. "H", and all others who bleed Irish... Happy St. Patties Day - A day late, but not a dollar short! BTW, had two great big Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwiches on rye yesterday... to keep the faith! :dance:[/QUOTE]

Art me Irish Bro.

What no, Murphy soup to go with the sandwiches???

No one it never late when it comes to being Irish! and same to ya! :thumb:

Cheers Mate

H.

Back
Top Bottom