Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Kool-aid is too sugary for me and I find your brand of aluminum foil helmet uncomfortable. Prefer to read information from a variety of international sources, thereby not ending up in an echo chamber where opinions of narrow scope are endlessly repeated.

Read that link on contrarian provocateurs? Worth a chuckle :thumb:
Well there is freshly sqeezed lemonade.....lol

Well there is freshly sqeezed lemonade.....lol

Sorry...

...I think it's all about trying to keep the numbers down so field hospitals aren't needed, freezer trucks packed full of bodies don't have to be parked behind hospitals because funeral homes can't keep up, and health care workers not burning out.

Then there's the Human/emotional costs...

...not much in the way of "lol" in this stuff.

Sorry Murray, I ain't drinking the cool-aid....

Still simple. If you are a Canadian, go home until the border is open or Canada and the USA negotiate border openings that is far to both sides.

Exactly how the present situation was created. Our side got what we wanted, Yours got exactly what you wanted.

You don't like it,, so complain to your negotiating team, not to us.

I may be naive, but even though in this instance (the pandemic I mean) there probably was some input or negotiation involved for both sides, isn't each Country free to decide who they let in and who they don't???
I was told that not only can the US Government set policies (regulations) along these lines but each individual Border Agent can make their own decision on whether or not to allow any Canadian entry, and his/her decision is not appealable. The Agent has almost "total power" (or so I have been informed).
Some Canadians don't want to see the "transitting through" allowance for US ground and water traffic and some have brought that to the attention of Canadian authorities and Gov. officials. US citizens should likewise address their concerns with their Government and agencies? I don't blame the person following what is allowed or in other words the "rules", I can blame the "rule makers" if I am so inclined.

Now, I also can understand that some of the "rules" being implemented are confusing to people as to their reasons and maybe even overall "fairness" but try to remember, we are talking about Governments after all!:) Confusing, not Governments!

Sorry...
...not much in the way of "lol" in this stuff.
Or, as stated in another post:
"Look over there" might be a short term distraction, but distraction from the real task is silly, childlike, and self-defeating. Stop blaming and start fixing.
Exactly how the present situation was created. Our side got what we wanted, Yours got exactly what you wanted.
You don't like it, so complain to your negotiating team, not to us.
Looks like a developing theme.

I quite think ASD should start spending his screen time researching alternatives for 2021. Visit some venues of natural history, art galleries and indigenous cultural centres, maybe take some English Language classes. Give our salmon and crab stocks a break. From this vantage, summer 2021 looks much like summer 2020.

From this vantage, summer 2021 looks much like summer 2020.

I tend to agree. I don't think we will see any appreciable progress until the second half of 2021, and even then it will be slow. I'm hoping Canada will be open to recreational boats by the fall of 2021, but I'm not counting on it - not at all.

I tend to agree. I don't think we will see any appreciable progress until the second half of 2021, and even then it will be slow. I'm hoping Canada will be open to (foreign) recreational boats by the fall of 2021, but I'm not counting on it - not at all.
A calm, reasoned outlook.

Our PM and health officials have said that they hope 75 to 80% of Canadians will be vaccinated by September.

The limited number of doses coming from January until March, will go to the elderly and health care workers. In the second quarter, it's supposed to roll down through the various priority groups, with the hopeful effect that by September, we'll be close to the "herd immunity" threshold. I personally, expect to be vaccinated by September, but I doubt my kids and preschool-aged grandkids will be.

I think there will continue to be covid precautions through the summer; distancing, masking, and probably capacity limits in shops, restaurants and tourist attractions.

I hope that we Canadians will be able to travel freely within Canada by July. More than half of the provinces and territories in Canada have restrictions on non-resident Canadians visiting, in some cases, it's a total no-go; in others, a 2-week quarantine is required and may still be for some time, until there is widespread vaccination.

I can't even hazard a guess as to when the border will open for tourism; covid numbers will have to be under control in the US before that will happen. Since you are our closest neighbour and largest tourism market. I can't imagine that Canada will open its borders to other countries first, before the US, especially given a new administration south of the border with which our government will want to work at mending fences. But who knows?

Living on tourist oriented Vancouver Island, what little I hear about next summer is that many business owners are expecting summer 2021 to be somewhat similar to last summer.

Last year, once things reopened in late June, visitor numbers for July and August were high (too high some would say) even without any out-of-country visitors, but hotel rates were half of what they usually would be and occupancy was down.

Another summer like last year will likely be the death knell for a lot of small businesses here, where the summer season is the "make or break" time of year.

Last edited:
Then there's this:

Even though a lot has changed since the Spanish Flu, the basic timeline of a global respiratory spreading pandemic probably hasn't.

The brand spanking new virus starts with the first victim, then spreads around the planet during its first year. Once the whole planet has been seeded, the bulk of damage is done in the second year.

This could be the introductory phase.

Geez Murray, did you have to bring that up???
Probably true though. So far, we seem to be following along a similar path to the 1918 flu. Luckily the death rate seems to be much lower (so far), but still bad enough.

Geez Murray, did you have to bring that up???
Probably true though. So far, we seem to be following along a similar path to the 1918 flu. Luckily the death rate seems to be much lower (so far), but still bad enough.

Sorry...eyes wide open, head on a swivel.

We survived the 1918 Spanish flu. We will survive the 2020 China Flu.

A calm, reasoned outlook.

Our PM and health officials have said that they hope 75 to 80% of Canadians will be vaccinated by September.

The limited number of doses coming from January until March, will go to the elderly and health care workers. In the second quarter, it's supposed to roll down through the various priority groups, with the hopeful effect that by September, we'll be close to the "herd immunity" threshold. I personally, expect to be vaccinated by September, but I doubt my kids and preschool-aged grandkids will be.

I think there will continue to be covid precautions through the summer; distancing, masking, and probably capacity limits in shops, restaurants and tourist attractions.

I hope that we Canadians will be able to travel freely within Canada by July. More than half of the provinces and territories in Canada have restrictions on non-resident Canadians visiting, in some cases, it's a total no-go; in others, a 2-week quarantine is required and may still be for some time, until there is widespread vaccination.

I can't even hazard a guess as to when the border will open for tourism; covid numbers will have to be under control in the US before that will happen. Since you are our closest neighbour and largest tourism market. I can't imagine that Canada will open its borders to other countries first, before the US, especially given a new administration south of the border with which our government will want to work at mending fences. But who knows?

Living on tourist oriented Vancouver Island, what little I hear about next summer is that many business owners are expecting summer 2021 to be somewhat similar to last summer.

Last year, once things reopened in late June, visitor numbers for July and August were high (too high some would say) even without any out-of-country visitors, but hotel rates were half of what they usually would be and occupancy was down.

Another summer like last year will likely be the death knell for a lot of small businesses here, where the summer season is the "make or break" time of year.
So are you a born and raised Canadian? Your parents?

Just asking as Salt Spring is known for its draft dodgers.....just asking as a vet.

Just asking as Salt Spring is known for its draft dodgers.....just asking as a vet.
If I stepped over the line I apologize. Don't understand your hostility toward the USA.

Not that it is at all relevant, but the answer is yes and yes. My grandparents before that and we all have long memories.

I'm not sure how you connected Salt Spring to me, but again not relevant and yes, "known for its draft dodgers" is over the line and surely founded in the usual "I heard/I was told" gossip.

Why keep digging?

Not that it is at all relevant, but the answer is yes and yes. My grandparents before that and we all have long memories.

I'm not sure how you connected Salt Spring to me, but again not relevant and yes, "known for its draft dodgers" is over the line and surely founded in the usual "I heard/I was told" gossip.

Why keep digging?
If I am lucky to come to Canada this summer, I will buy you a beer or two.

Trying to pull this back from yet another really tiresome covid tread to the original topic of Canada/Alaska transit restrictions, here's the critical question: by May '21 can I have dinner at Auntie Pesto's and get Cuban cigars at the little store near the top of the marina stairs at Ganges? If not I'm filing an international protest.

Thread drift warning

The above comment, apparently misdirected, got me wondering. Is my beloved Saltspring Island actually "known for its draft dodgers?

That statement took me by surprise, as I haven't been here long enough to know if any of the current residents are, or are descendants of, actual draft dodgers. I grew up in Burnaby, where I did know and work along side actual draft dodgers. I attended UBC, where again I studied along side actual draft dodgers.
I Googled "Saltspring draft dodgers" and found a couple of references to same, without attribution, so I can't say whether the statement has any actual reliability, or whether its origins are more of a curiosity. Since I have been a Saltspring frequent visitor, 40 yrs, property owner, 27 yrs, part-time resident, 19 yrs, full time resident, 6 yrs, I still haven't met a person I know to be, or to be related to, an actual draft dodger on Saltspring Island.

References to a "hippy population" are common, and indeed, if one examines the mode of dress of frequent vendors at the Saturday Market in Ganges, one would believe there is still a thriving community of "Hippies". That too, may be explained in other ways.

I did come across an article with an actual look at the deomographics:https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-..._cedc2014reportand2015actionplan.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I am also aware of the approximate population of Saltspring during the Draft dodging years, approximately 2500, having grown slowly over the previous century, and during the following decades. When my father moved to Saltspring in the 80s, the population was approximately 5000, and now the population is approximately 10500. There doesn't seem to have been a spike due to the arrival of draft dodgers, or did an equal number of other residents leave?

There are some homes that are owned by seasonal residents who haven't turned up this year, as they are not getting admitted to Canada from the US or other countries due to Covid-19, though those are not numerous.

I also turned up a number of references to "Notable Residents". Thankfully my own name is not reported. Those whose names are mentioned are perhaps "notable" in that they are NOT known to frequent this island, despite being on a list that suggests they are. The only celebrity that can actually be found, if you want to go looking, is Raffi, of "Baby Beluga" and other Children's songs fame. Randy Bachman has a home here, though how frequently he occupies it, rather than his LA home, would only be speculation. The artist John Bateman, Valdi, Burt Cummings, may also reside here, others on the celebrity list likely own, but aren't here when their other digs are more comfy.

I think that Canada has very limited bed capacity in their hospitals to deal with a serious outbreak of Covid. I.E. the total ICU bed count in all of BC is 206. It is prudent of the government to take all precautions necessary to prevent an overload on their healthcare resources. Limiting cross border travel and a 14 day quarantine of new arrivals is a cheap and effective way of introducing covid into the population.

Once a vaccine becomes available to the general public and the person vaccinated can prove it, I suspect cross border restrictions will remain in place. In my imagination I can picture the border guards saying "Papers please" just like in the old ww2 movies.

...dinner at Auntie Pesto's and get Cuban cigars at the little store near the top of the marina stairs at Ganges? If not I'm filing an international protest.

Sausage rolls at Barb's Buns and buying Raffi CDs for my grandsons from Raffi himself at the Saturday market...you are torturing me.

Last edited:
The only celebrity that can actually be found, if you want to go looking, is Raffi, of "Baby Beluga" and other Children's songs fame.

Don't have to look, he is right there at the Saturday Market, hawking his wares. My daughter, who was a worldly unimpressible 18 year old at the time, nearly exploded when she realized she was talking to the Raffi!

Trying to pull this back from yet another really tiresome covid tread to the original topic of Canada/Alaska transit restrictions, here's the critical question: by May '21 can I have dinner at Auntie Pesto's and get Cuban cigars at the little store near the top of the marina stairs at Ganges? If not I'm filing an international protest.

Now THAT'S worth protesting. I'm twitching from withdrawal...

Well it will be interesting to see what happens in 2021. So far the Seattle Boats how is canceled. The Astoria Crab and Wine Fest is still on at the end of April. Christmas Ship parade this Saturday in Portland area is currently going.

So there is a little hope.

We can only hope the politicians on both sides of the fence will start making decisions based on science and common sense.

Currently its all about politicians getting drunk on power, control and money. Its not about the science and if you can't see that, you are blinder than a blindman.

14 days until winter equinox then we start gaining daylight!!!

Canadian news - CBC. Vaccine to be out in Canada by the end of December 2020.

By the way, since folks are talking draft dodgers. Do you yanks know that a surprising number of Canadians fought in the Civil War, my (don't know how many greats) Great Grandfather fought for the North, lost two fingers to a musket ball and was awarded land for his contribution in the States. He turned the land down and returned to Ontario.

From Wiki: Canada and the American Civil War
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Military history
of Canada

Military history of...
Crown and Forces ArmyNavyAir ForceMilitia ColonialNew France Acadia
Conflicts

At the time of the American Civil War, Canada did not yet exist as a federated nation. Instead, British North America consisted of the Province of Canada (parts of modern southern Ontario and southern Quebec) and the separate colonies of Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, British Columbia and Vancouver Island, as well as a crown territory administered by the Hudson's Bay Company called Rupert's Land. Britain and its colonies were officially neutral for the duration of the war. Despite this, tensions between Britain and the United States were high due to incidents on the seas, such as the Trent Affair and the Confederate commissioning of the CSS Alabama from Britain.[1]

Canadians were largely opposed to slavery, and Canada had recently become the terminus of the Underground Railroad. Close economic and cultural links across the long border also encouraged Canadian sympathy towards the Union. Between 33,000 and 55,000 men from British North America enlisted in the war, almost all of them fighting for Union forces. Some press and churches in Canada supported the secession and some others did not.[2] There was talk in London in 1861–62 of mediating the war or recognizing the Confederacy. Washington warned this meant war, and London feared Canada would quickly be seized by the North.[3]

Last edited:
BTW, this is what we are all missing, or have temporarily lost. A good debate, plenty of differences, but still friends able to enjoy a beer together.

In person debate is better, because you can catch the ironic twinkle in the eye behind a prodding/confrontational comment. Not so on internet forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom