Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read your post I initially thought Trudeau was prescient and made that announcement January 12, '20 before covid was even a thing, but then I remembered you guys use that ultimately more logical but screwy European-ish dating convention...

Say this covid lasts a year or more w the border shut and no sign of an end.

Would it lower or tank the boat market (especially trawler) if this was long lasting?
I would think the national effect would stabilize the market .. more so w new boats though.

Would it lower or tank the boat market (especially trawler) if this was long lasting?
I would think the national effect would stabilize the market .. more so w new boats though.

Recreational items are hot right now. Rv’s boats, cross country skis are sold out. If it gets you out away from a crowd, it’s in demand.

Say this covid lasts a year or more w the border shut and no sign of an end.Would it lower or tank the boat market?

All indications are, the border will likely remain closed until at least spring launch. RV and pleasure boats sales were threw the roof, in the summer of 2020.

Up here, non snowbird RVs mostly spend the winter in a driveway or reasonably priced storage. The uneducated boaters are finding out what the term "sunk costs" really means.
Maybe the market will drop or maybe there will be a whole new round of "hey, lets buy a boat."

I've given up trying to predict economic or market effects of all this. I used to surf ebay for big boats, 40+ just for kicks (that's how we got our current boat). Used to be 30, 40 boats listed of that size at any given time. Right now there are seven listed, couple days ago there were four. Where have they gone? I don't know. Okay, so boat markets are hot, but people still need money and income to buy them. You'd think lock downs would wreck local economies, especially small, isolated coastal towns. Nope, apparently not. Supply chains are still screwy, but in very odd ways. I figured businesses could coast for quite a while, but they should be crashing by now. Nope, surprisingly low level of failures, from what I've seen. I know, massive infusion of fake (federal) money, maybe that's still propping things up. The job market, at least here, is so tight we get almost no applicants for some positions. Can't get any service done on the boat of any kind, or at home, good luck finding a service person or contractor. My retirement portfolio should be crashing but it's not. And I'm still following this thread with interest but at the same time I shrug and think, we'll see.

We just got back from Mazatlan Mexico. Lots of Canadians and Canadian boats.

Note sure about the difference based on length of Covid. But whenever it is all over, I expect there will be a flood of used boats on the market and it will become a buyers market. Lots of people currently saying "I know, let's get a boat", and we all know how most of them will feel after a year or two of ownership....

I expect there will be a flood of used boats on the market and it will become a buyers market. Lots of people currently saying "I know, let's get a boat", and we all know how most of them will feel after a year or two of ownership....

We can speculate but my speculations were totally wrong about recreational and home buying during the pandemic. I thought numbers of sales would drop and the reverse has been true.

A news item Americans probably don't know but is a reality for us Canadians. We aren't number one on the covid vaccine list. We will get the vaccine but others are in front of us. I think we will get some vaccines early but not in numbers that will be impactful. This has been a big news story in Canada. Both the Liberals and Conservatives screwed up in supporting pharmacies in the past so we don't have the infrastructure for vaccine development as other countries have. At one point we were on track then both parties while in power dropped the support for pharmaceutical development. Trudeau has also publicly stated that the majority of Canadians should be inoculated by September. Realize we have brain dead anti-vaccinators in Canada as does the States. Then there are some who will take the vaccine after waiting to see if anyone dies or is majorly affected by the vaccine. In a recent study, 40 % of Ontarians said they would not be vaccinated.

But back to the topic, you will probably be able to go through BC as happened this past summer for those who were directly going to Alaska, stops were allowed for fueling, etc. as has been noted in previous posts in this thread. My suggestion is if you are planning on a spring departure begin looking into necessary paperwork and stuff now.

Headed back home to Wrangell Alaska in May 21. Some friends experienced difficulty traveling south through Canada to vacation in the Lower 48 but no problems for people returning home to Alaska on the road system, but their trip needs to be direct and accomplished in a very limited time. Yukon Territory seemed to have the tightest restrictions. As an Alaskan resident I don’t expect having a problem with a direct passage through BC (following all restrictions) in order to get home.

Now that weather up north is cooling off many Canadian friends are flying into AZ. It is nice to wave at them and talk from a distance. They are most welcome.

We can speculate but my speculations were totally wrong about recreational and home buying during the pandemic. I thought numbers of sales would drop and the reverse has been true.

I thought the same as you, because I thought disposable income would be significantly impacted. What I missed is that there are large segments of the population who's income has not been impacted at all, and at the same time their planned vacation and recreation spending has halted. This leaves them with money to spend on some different form of vacation/recreation, and that turned into a boom for boats and RV (and other things too).

Understanding that, I'm now ready for the next thing that I didn't predict :)

The way this year has gone, I won't be the least bit surprised by any of the plagues leveled against Pharoah, or Alfred Hitchcock's birds, or piranha in the upper Missouri under the ice pack.

Umm, re the mention of snowbird Canadians flying into the US (Arizona was mentioned).... that can’t happen until the border between our two countries opens! Or are you talking about what they did before the border was closed?

Just curious ....

Umm, re the mention of snowbird Canadians flying into the US (Arizona was mentioned).... that can’t happen until the border between our two countries opens! Or are you talking about what they did before the border was closed?

Just curious ....

Air travel into AZ from Canada is ongoing. I note there is space on a Delta flight departing YVR at 8:45 AM today. Pack your clubs and leave your umbrella. Restrictions apply if airline connections from a long list of other countries. A 14 day quarantine upon re-entry applies.

The borders are "closed" for land, car train, boat, foot, horseback and ox cart. BTW one of our daughters living in Mexico routinely commutes into US by car.

However, a prudent Canuck best avoid long term care facilities, college dorms, the Navajo Nation and crowded sports bars.

I am surprised but you are correct! Air travel into the US from Canada isn’t restricted, although I don’t understand the reasoning... thanks for correcting my mis-understanding ....

I am surprised but you are correct! Air travel into the US from Canada isn’t restricted, although I don’t understand the reasoning... thanks for correcting my mis-understanding ....

Many of us in AZ would rather have a Canuck fly in than someone from Seattle. Less chance of causing a riot, camping in the streets, spreading the virus plus they bring better beer than Rainier. :D

I live in a small north coast BC town with a population of about 8,500, at roads end, with a massive industrial project just outside of town. Lots of workers/contractors around.

They live in a camp, but sometimes come into town. There are now 54 confirmed Covid-19 cases with the workers there. When the project is running at full steam, there will be as many workers there as there are people living in town.

Too close for me!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.northernsentinel.com/ne...ses-associated-with-lng-canada-site-outbreak/

54 known cases probably equals 108, because so many are contagious but asymptomatic, and those who are symptomatic are contagious for two days before they experience any symptoms at all.

Gonna be a loooong couple years...

Gotta love double standards....
Not really a double standard Tom. You can fly into Vancouver (YVR) from many places, just like the US is allowing incoming flights from certain areas, in this case Canada. You just can't drive across the border for a visit or boat across (into Canada or the US) unless in your case, you are making a direct transit.
So Americans can fly into Canada, as these Canadians are flying into the US.
I guess this is all in an effort to keep the airlines afloat????:dance:

Not really a double standard Tom. You can fly into Vancouver (YVR) from many places, just like the US is allowing incoming flights from certain areas, in this case Canada. You just can't drive across the border for a visit or boat across (into Canada or the US) unless in your case, you are making a direct transit.

Tom (Firehoser), Tom (ASD) is correct, as is Tom(Sunchaser). You can fly across the Can US border, INTO the US, but unless you are a returning Canadian or an essential worker, or for some very good reason have convinced the CBSA to allow you, you may not fly INTO Canada.
Also, there is no 14 day Q requirement upon entry to the US, but there is, returning to Canada, unless you are the aforementioned essential.

A friend of ours, from Ottawa, flew across the line, picked up his motorhome that a dual citizen had driven across, and is now at the California RV park that we used to go to. There are also a flood of snowbirds in Florida, having flown. But in the summer months, the reverse isn't likely to occur, at least until things are back under control.

Well if we are to follow what some of our Canadian friends here on TF are preaching and have taken me to task with traveling through BC, the Canadian government should ORDER all Canadian citizens to return immediately back to Canada!

I'm sorry, it is a double standard. Lots of Canadians in USA southwest, Mexico and so on.

The border is closed or it isn't.

Well if we are to follow what some of our Canadian friends here on TF are preaching and have taken me to task with traveling through BC, the Canadian government should ORDER all Canadian citizens to return immediately back to Canada!

I'm sorry, it is a double standard. Lots of Canadians in USA southwest, Mexico and so on.

The border is closed or it isn't.

So...you're chocked because you don't have the same rights in Canada as a Canadian citizen?

We're about in the middle of the pack as far as Covid-19 response goes, so no bragging rights there, but if the US had taken it as seriously as Canada maybe there would be freer travel between our border.

It strikes me that the double standard is that the US isn’t being nearly as careful -which is reflected in our fatality rate. I’m not sure how we should blame Canada for US standards on who can come and go to the US. If you’ve flown to the US from any sizeable Canadian airport then you’ve experienced clearing US customs and immigration BEFORE boarding the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom