Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying outside 12 nm the distance from Neah Bay, the northern most US port with fuel available to Ketchikan is 600 nm.

No fuel is available at Neah Bay. Fuel sales are restricted to native folks only.:eek:

No fuel is available at Neah Bay. Fuel sales are restricted to native folks only.:eek:
Good to know thank you. If I were to plan that route I'd press up my tanks to near overflow at Port Angeles. If I remember you home port on the Columbia River? Westport would be your last chance fuel? I think La Push is also closed to non natives.

Good to know thank you. If I were to plan that route I'd press up my tanks to near overflow at Port Angeles. If I remember you home port on the Columbia River? Westport would be your last chance fuel? I think La Push is also closed to non natives.
I don't have that fuel range on the out side of VI. If I want to do SE Alaska the inside BC is the only way for ASD.

I don't have that fuel range on the out side of VI. If I want to do SE Alaska the inside BC is the only way for ASD.
I haven't run my boat on enough long passages to really know but I think I'm about 100 nm short of the range needed. That would be to absolute burn out and only in favorable conditions. Favorable conditions on the west side of Van Isle don't last very long at any time of year. So, it's inside or not at all for me too.

I haven't run my boat on enough long passages to really know but I think I'm about 100 nm short of the range needed. That would be to absolute burn out and only in favorable conditions. Favorable conditions on the west side of Van Isle don't last very long at any time of year. So, it's inside or not at all for me too.
There is a reason why most circumnavigate Vancouver Island counterclockwise. I think you would be more than 100nm short as you would be going up hill the entire trip

ASD wrote;
“Suggest you file a float plan with Canada Boarder Patrol and list your stops and anchorages.”

I wouldn’t like having to declare all my anchorages. Weather can alter that easily.

There is a reason why most circumnavigate Vancouver Island counterclockwise. I think you would be more than 100nm short as you would be going up hill the entire trip
Yup. That's why you won't see me transiting north on the west side of Van Isle with my boat.

ASD wrote;
“Suggest you file a float plan with Canada Boarder Patrol and list your stops and anchorages.”

I wouldn’t like having to declare all my anchorages. Weather can alter that easily.
Perfectly legal (as of now, may change) to anchored based on weather. You would however are prohibited from going to shore, even to take fido to go pee and take a dump. Fido would have to do his business on board.

Multiple agencies "patrol" the Canadian border. The agency that you refer to and deal with in this instance, is Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
I stand corrected, but so what......

Yup. That's why you won't see me transiting north on the west side of Van Isle with my boat.

There are multiple fuel stops available on west side of Vancouver Island, have been in many that offered diesel fuel too. Having circumnavigated VI both ways I can attest to counterclockwise being the preferred route.

How much extra fuel you need? Heck with the bureaucrats, if you want see AK. Bring barrels of fuel you need on deck, don't stop, go 24/7 get it over with. Three people taking two 4 hour watches every 24 hours will have you in AK in good shape. The fuel dock will take your empties. 32' boats routinely transit from Homer and Kodiak down the Ak. peninsula to Bristol Bay, fish wicked hours, then head back, (1,500 mile round trip) Don't worry about going to sea, land is where you get in trouble anyway..:)

Last edited:
Cap,
Not much flotsam in western Ak. No trees.
I wouldn’t venture forth in SE waters regularly at night.
Finding one’s way shouldn’t be a problem but those logs aren’t nice to hit. As far as I know I’ve only hit one in the last coupl’a decades. That one went “BOOM” and I saw it astern as a medium sized log about 16” X 15’ long. No damage. Mid day lighting.

Last edited:
Cap,
Not much flotsam in western Ak. No trees.
I wouldn’t venture forth in SE waters regularly at night.
Finding one’s way shouldn’t be a problem but those logs aren’t nice to hit. As far as I know I’ve only hit one in the last coupl’a decades. That one went “BOOM” and I saw it astern as a medium sized log about 16” X 15’ long. No damage. Mid day lighting.
I know big forward lights are a no-no on the inside, (I was firmly warned by Comox traffic) But I would run a couple bright floods offshore no problem. Stopping "just overnight" brings port rot. Get where ya wanna be, then goof off.

Last edited:
How much extra fuel you need? Heck with the bureaucrats, if you want see AK. Bring barrels of fuel you need on deck, don't stop, go 24/7 get it over with. Three people taking two 4 hour watches every 24 hours will have you in AK in good shape. The fuel dock will take your empties. 32' boats routinely transit from Homer and Kodiak down the Ak. peninsula to Bristol Bay, fish wicked hours, then head back, (1,500 mile round trip) Don't worry about going to sea, land is where you get in trouble anyway..:)
I hear ya cap. With the right boat and crew a walk in the park. I've got decades of experience standing 6 & 6 watches. But that was on heavy steel deep draft boats. Not shallow draft fiberglass with unprotected rudders and props. And big windows held in by teak trim. And no place or nothing to lash the drums to. Nope, my boat isn't built for heavy weather, carrying weight on deck and hitting dead heads at night. She's a fair weather cruiser. Fine by me, I'm retired now.

I stand corrected, but so what......

We're a completely different country, eh, so don't tar us with your bureaucracy.

Now go back to your chesterfield, pull your touque on straight, and put on some Howie Meeker tapes :D

Last edited:
I hear ya cap. With the right boat and crew a walk in the park. I've got decades of experience standing 6 & 6 watches. But that was on heavy steel deep draft boats. Not shallow draft fiberglass with unprotected rudders and props. And big windows held in by teak trim. And no place or nothing to lash the drums to. Nope, my boat isn't built for heavy weather, carrying weight on deck and hitting dead heads at night. She's a fair weather cruiser. Fine by me, I'm retired now.

Always know your rig, and have reserve...good post.

Does anyone have a link to CBSA's, or any other relevant government agencies, policies and position on recreational boat transit through BC to Ak? So we can keep up to date with things as they evolve. I'm sure if / when the border is reopened we'll all know because it will be big news.

Another issue to track is any limits on travel within Ak once we get there. Many of the smaller communities are at much higher risk due to lack of health care facilities and a potentially higher genetic risk among natives. Earlier in the year travel to and among Ak communities was banned.

I'm eager to get beyond the San Juans but not willing to break laws or put people at risk.

Thank you but that link no longer works. Digging around on CBSA's web site I have not been able to find a specific topic addressing non Canadian boats transiting through Canada, specifically BC enroute to / from Ak.

I am anticipating greater restrictions and possibly complete closure due to the bad behavior of some US boaters using their transit to Ak as a pleasure cruise through BC.

Thank you but that link no longer works. Digging around on CBSA's web site I have not been able to find a specific topic addressing non Canadian boats transiting through Canada, specifically BC enroute to / from Ak.

I am anticipating greater restrictions and possibly complete closure due to the bad behavior of some US boaters using their transit to Ak as a pleasure cruise through BC.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5

Our Prime Minister just today (1/12/20) announced that the borders wouldn't reopen until not only both our countries Covid cases settle down, but other countries as well. Realize Canada is working in conjunction with the States so this will be American policy as well. Neither wants the other country becoming a gateway for new covid cases from other countries, it is difficult enough to control our own and our neighbour south/north covid reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom