Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no such thing as a cruising season on this coast. We sea kayaked during the winter, so why not use a boat with a diesel heater? Just pick your days, like Jim said :thumb:

I am the OP on this thread. I posted a similar inquiry on the Selene forum, and within 48 hours ten owners indicated that they have similar plans for Spring 2021. Some will leave their boats in AK for the winter, and some will transit south after the "season."

Dirtdoc1 - it sounds as though this news is too late for you, but amazingly enough the Washington State Department of Revenue is making accommodations for non-resident boats to remain in Washington without triggering a use tax obligation SO LONG AS NO USE WHATSOEVER IS MADE OF THE BOAT DURING THE STORAGE PERIOD. If interested, you can PM me for more details.

Steve

I'd rather think of swimming in the pool at Poet's Cove Resort on Pender Island overlooking the marina in Bedwell Harbor. Oops, Harbour.

Karl,

Conditions and governments permitting, consider this your invitation. How much time-off do you have available?

I am the OP on this thread. I posted a similar inquiry on the Selene forum, and within 48 hours ten owners indicated that they have similar plans for Spring 2021. Some will leave their boats in AK for the winter, and some will transit south after the "season."

Steve

What I see in Seward Alaska is that several cruising boats a year stay a winter and continue cruising the next summer. Our little part of Alaska is just too big to explore in one season.

On some folks stay aboard, but most seem to leave their boats at least intermittently.

You can still transit BC waters in 2020 with a few modifications.
Basically vessel must transit to Alaska by direct route, stopping only for safety (sleep and weather), essentials, fuel, water or repairs. No fishing, crabbing, sight seeing or contact with Canadians unless essential.
Too late to go this year, but I would be happy to go in 2021 even if under these conditions I could not as fully enjoy the BC part of the trip.

Sure would like to see the official Canada regs spelling this out. Do you have a link?

Karl,

Conditions and governments permitting, consider this your invitation. How much time-off do you have available?

Thank you, that would be fantastic.

About two and a half months, give or take. Haven't had a day off since late Feb, we haven't closed the SD courts for a single day since this whole ordeal began, and my vacation days have been topped out for months. I can't keep this up forever though. Well, realistically, in normal years we take about two weeks off for our annual charter, give or take. Took three weeks in 2015 for the Rhode Island/NYC/Hudson run.

Our boat is launched the last week in April. Boys are out of school May 27. We intend to get them on "out there" somewhere in '21, even if we have to Huck Finn a raft together made of of 55-gallon drums. A segment together with you is by far our first choice (can still sing the Flag Song by memory), but if they don't open Canada or the San Juans doesn't work, we've decided to try Newport to Nantucket, or Montauk and Mystic and the CT River and you're welcome to join a charter with us. If that doesn't work, we'll try the Hudson, or the Erie Canal. If that doesn't work, we'll try the Chesapeake. I suppose we could even do Okeechobee, but that's last choice. My dad lives in Stuart and he thinks that run is boring. We did a week-long historic Maine schooner a few years ago, we could do that again I suppose, but almost none of them take kids (11 and 13 by then). Liability I suppose, too many blocks and tackles to rip off fingers. And sleeping in a plywood bunk under a deck prism that leaks in the rain isn't our first choice. But whatever the run, I know I can only go so far turning the boys into boat or ocean kids when we're trapped above a dam on the Missouri.

I know I can only go so far turning the boys into boat or ocean kids when we're trapped above a dam on the Missouri.

Obviously, we are subject to the whims of forces larger than us, but we will be out there, South of 49n or North of 54n. ("54-40 or fight!")

At least a couple of weeks; looking forward to meeting your boys. PM for more specifics. I think the last time we were together was your wedding at Portage Glacier. When was that?

Today we started looking at a map of SE, planning. As far as BC, we would stop in Nanaimo, Campbell River, Port McNeil for fuel, Fury Cove, Shearwater Bay, Kutze, Kluenugget, PR, then on to K-Town Alaska. Some of the anchorages we may be able to pass depending on weather. Starting to get the itch!

ASD don’t let the itch get over sized as we are plunging into a real bad epidemic and the economic fall out will not be small stuff like the first time around either. And likely the chances of my being wrong is small.

A friend of mine is about to buy a boat on credit and he’s scaring me.

Alaska has always been a destination. And w good reason but a lot of the romance in the far north is like the hype of buying new cars, boats ect. but it’s a long way up there and bad luck is far more likely than down south.

Am I excited about going to Alaska? Always. But viewing it from the eyes of an old man the reality of “North to Alaska” is far more clear that it was when I was a young man. And most of us on TF are more like old men that young hotrods.

I wonder if doggie related trips to shore are permitted when transiting BC for those traveling with pooches. Given this viruses ever increasing hold, AK may not be a wide open destination for transient boaters. Lots to think about as mentioned in Eric's excellent post.

Used to live in Alaska for a long time and I still have close friends there, in touch daily and I think you're right. Alaska seems very, very cautious and (to me, given the character of the place) surprisingly restrictive with all this. That's why we're planning to be very flexible in '21 for our annual charter. PNW/Alaska first choice but if that doesn't work, we'll go wherever we can, wherever it's possible.
I wonder if doggie related trips to shore are permitted when transiting BC for those traveling with pooches. Given this viruses ever increasing hold, AK may not be a wide open destination for transient boaters. Lots to think about as mentioned in Eric's excellent post.

ASD don’t let the itch get over sized as we are plunging into a real bad epidemic and the economic fall out will not be small stuff like the first time around either. And likely the chances of my being wrong is small.

A friend of mine is about to buy a boat on credit and he’s scaring me.

Alaska has always been a destination. And w good reason but a lot of the romance in the far north is like the hype of buying new cars, boats ect. but it’s a long way up there and bad luck is far more likely than down south.

Am I excited about going to Alaska? Always. But viewing it from the eyes of an old man the reality of “North to Alaska” is far more clear that it was when I was a young man. And most of us on TF are more like old men that young hotrods.

Oh I would agree, but we will be ready to go IF the rules don't change.

"Am I excited about going to Alaska? Always. But viewing it from the eyes of an old man the reality of “North to Alaska” is far more clear that it was when I was a young man. And most of us on TF are more like old men that young hotrods"

Amen Eric and well said. At 73, I wonder how many more trips I have left in me. But, my wife and I agree to keep going until we can't. Target is 80. Realistic? We'll see but I like our chances, good health being fragile and sometimes fleeting.

"
Amen Eric and well said. At 73, I wonder how many more trips I have left in me. But, my wife and I agree to keep going until we can't. Target is 80. Realistic? We'll see but I like our chances, good health being fragile and.

Not until we have a AA first!!:thumb:

Good morning TF.

We’re contemplating a transit from WA to AK in April or May of next year, assuming that such a transit is allowed by Canadian authorities.

Is anyone else planning likewise?

You didn't get many useful replies. We're planning on it - leaving from La Conner. It will be our third summer in AK - absolutely magical. We don't anticipate docking in BC at all, just anchoring. Grateful to the Canadian authorities for their willingness to allow anchoring at night (especially because BC waters sport occasional logs). Could transit or go outside, but would prefer not to.

We've been part of great flotillas and seen disasters. When looking for flotilla buddies, miles per day is the most important thing to agree on, followed by how bad the weather has to be to have a zero day. Third would be how many communal dinners per week.

We're full displacement 6.5kts, so will average 50 miles/day if that's OK with the authorities, 60 if pushed. Would like to be off the dock 5/1.

Rough Plan: La Conner, Annette Bay, Pender, Prideaux, Dent Rapids, Cordero Island Cove, Port Harvey, Port McNeil, Fury Cove, Gunboat, Olive, Bottleneck, somewhere, Lowe Inlet, Prince Rupert, Foggy Bay, Ketch.

Someone else's medical issues will bear on the schedule, but this may get y'all thinking. If it's your first passage, take all of the free Waggoner and SlowBoat classes you can. The rapids are pretty easy, especially if you're faster than us.

Andrew

Last edited:
The Canada US border closure will be extended to Jan. 21, 2021.
I believe it will continue for much longer and at least one publication suggests it will be such, long into 2021 or even 2022.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-saf...nounces-extension-of-travel-restrictions.html

Keeping to the topic, talk around the water cooler, is saying there could be tighter restrictions placed on the marine “Alaska loophole” as was needed and done with land crossings. Transit time is said to be on the table. Will a 42 KK suddenly declare a 12 knot cruise?

Talk on the water, is saying US boaters in BC will be facing more scrutiny than earlier this year. It should also be noted that many coastal services are predicting current, minimum staffing, to last for several more months, so don’t expect a quick haul out if needed.

Any restrictions (distance offshore) if you loop up the outside side? If there was no inside passage, we'd all go that that way.

Last edited:
Any restrictions (distance offshore) if you loop up the outside side? If there was no inside passage, we'd all go that that way.

Not that I'm aware of. If Canada won't let us anchor (we're fine not going ashore or getting supplies), we'll wait for a good weather window and travel north on the outside however far offshore they require.

Nothing rumoured or implied about offshore, or nearshore transit. Just don't cross over from Anacortes and think you can sneak into Port Renfrew or Tofino for a pub lunch.

We will see. Things always change. I am sure this, in time, will also change. Currently I would have no issues entering the Inside and venturing north to Alaska. Just not warm enough yet.

I am also aware representatives from Alaska Congressional delegation is meeting with the Canadian government regarding travel through Canada to Alaska.

So we will see.

Amazing the difference between Mexico and Canada. Attitudes are very much different too.

A passage up north now will be much longer and require many more anchorings. With very limited daylight you won’t go far each day.
And some runs have very very few suitable places to anchor.
And then there’s the weather.

soin2la wrote;
“I believe it will continue for much longer and at least one publication suggests it will be such, long into 2021 or even 2022.”

At the rate covid is moving now that’s probably more correct. But will the vaccine open the border about June1? It appears to weigh heavily on the results of the vaccine and vaccine handling. What happens if the vaccine can’t be kept cold enough as it’s moved around?

Last edited:
Here is the latest:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5

Scroll down to Information for foreign boaters.

Unfortunately, a few people have abused the Alaskan loophole, making it tougher for others.

BC recently re-elected the Premiere with a majority government. His opinion still seems to have weight at a Federal level as he is one of the few remaining Premieres that are... how shall we say it without being political... of the same laterality.

That said, we may see a budding new bromance between Trudeau and Biden, which may change things for the better.

Last edited:
But will the vaccine open the border about June1?
Optimistic reports out of Ottawa are 6 million doses in Canada by March 31. Key word "optimistic."

That is only enough for one tenth of our population and would certainly be meted out to those at greater risk first. September is suggested for the majority of us to get it.

The border opening will be determined by case numbers on both sides.

Here is the latest:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5

Scroll down to Information for foreign boaters.

Same as June. No change. As it stands now, you can transient from WA to Alaska so long as the trip is not:

touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing

Suggest you file a float plan with Canada Boarder Patrol and list your stops and anchorages. So long as you go straight through and stop only for fuel, groceries and stop (anchor) in a bay for crew safety, without going ashore, then you can cross BC. Make sure when you cross that you get your Canadian number.

I looked into that in March when the border was closed and there were threads on how to get to Ak from Wa.

The Oceans Act defines Canada's territorial sea and contiguous zone and on the next page the Exclusive Economic Zone then read on to the Sovereign rights and jurisdiction of Canada.

With your experience and aboard Katherine Jane you should have no trouble with that route. However many of us have boats that would be sorely challenged by that trip. Staying outside 12 nm the distance from Neah Bay, the northern most US port with fuel available to Ketchikan is 600 nm. It's gonna be a long demanding trip in a typical recreational trawler with no room for mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom