Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was suggested earlier that Pfizer is wearing a white Stetson...turns out they're wearing lederhosen:

It’s said that success has many authors, and the encouraging data from Pfizer Inc.’s experimental COVID-19 vaccine had plenty of people in Washington lining up to take credit.

Vice President Mike Pence was among Trump administration officials saying support from the government’s Operation Warp Speed program helped accelerate the development of the vaccine, which was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 infections in an interim analysis.

The truth is that Pfizer didn’t receive any funding from Operation Warp Speed for the development, clinical trial and manufacturing of the vaccine. Rather, its partner, BioNTech SE, has received money -- from the German government.

https://fortune.com/2020/11/09/pfizer-vaccine-funding-warp-speed-germany/

Last edited:
More here:

“We are a next-generation immunotherapy company,” Sahin told CNBC’s “Power Lunch” on Tuesday. “The technology behind this vaccine, the messenger RNA technology, and the vaccine candidates have been developed in Germany.”

Sahin went on to explain that BioNTech “took care of the manufacturing of the batches for the clinical trial.” BioNTech also specializes in T-cell, a key part of the immune system, and “investigated the T-cell immune responses for this vaccine,” according to its chief.

Pfizer took care of clinical trials in the U.S. while BioNTech conducted its own trials in Germany, Sahin said, adding that Pfizer was responsible for executing the global late-stage trial that led to the 90% efficacy revelation on Monday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/biontech-the-european-company-behind-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine.html

Murray, I try to stay out of these things but I’m not sure what your poking at. Phizer is one of the great American companies, along with their multinational partners, delivering a vaccine at a pace that will likely rank as a scientific landmark. At their scale they needed no outside funding or the strings that would inherently be attached. Their scientific partner may have. I think we all hope their extraordinary work will help us all enjoy a healthy and normal life including... a spring 2021 transit to Alaska.

I’d ask ASD what the other side is but .... he might tell me.

But I’m w Brad. Maybe we’ll get to go to Canada next year. :rolleyes:

Murray, I try to stay out of these things but I’m not sure what your poking at. Phizer is one of the great American companies, along with their multinational partners, delivering a vaccine at a pace that will likely rank as a scientific landmark. At their scale they needed no outside funding or the strings that would inherently be attached. Their scientific partner may have. I think we all hope their extraordinary work will help us all enjoy a healthy and normal life including... a spring 2021 transit to Alaska.

A while back another TF'er was on a bit of a high horse, insinuating that BC residents would be somewhat hypocritical to welcome trucks from Washington State with Pfizers vaccine aboard while closing the border to US residents.

Just letting him know it was German researchers who cracked the code, and that Canada's first batch of vaccine shipments are coming via Belgium.

Apologies for my obtuse jab rousting you out :flowers:

Last edited:
This might sound anti-Pfizer, its not. Any company that can produce something to get us out of this craziness has my vote. But google law suits against Pfizer.

Murry I don’t think you were being obtuse. I’m sure you were clear on your point, I’m just wary.

Vaccines will hopefully also soon follow from Moderna and J&J. Each easier to handle and distribute throughout the world. You seem to be rooting against America I guess. That’s too bad.

I cherish our summers in BC and appreciate your people, waters and lands.

Last edited:
Vaccines will hopefully also soon follow from Moderna and J&J. Each easier to handle and distribute throughout the world. You seem to be rooting against America I guess. That’s too bad.

Nope, not "rooting against America", just the misplaced high horse attitude of one particular TF'er.

...I cherish our summers in BC and appreciate your people, waters and lands.

Thanks. I've spent some high quality time in the US as well.

I've even dined with, and count as a friend, a 100% Trump supporting climate change and Covid-19 denying American, so can be as open minded as it gets...but then again, he didn't come in riding a high horse built on myth.

You both seem to be gloating for different teams. I guess Thats what I think is too bad.

Not gloating either...just popping his inflated attitude...sorry for the collateral damage.

I cherish our summers in BC and appreciate your people, waters and lands.
You Brad and many other members here, who are gracious and show us the respect you do, are welcome.

Then there are those who stand out in the street hurling compost at our house and tell us how to trim the hedge, then brazenly walk into our yard at BBQ time, help themselves to the best steaks and take a plate full home.

Nope, not "rooting against America", just the misplaced high horse attitude of one particular TF'er.

Then there are those who stand out in the street hurling compost at our house and tell us how to trim the hedge, then brazenly walk into our yard at BBQ time, help themselves to the best steaks and take a plate full home.

Don't feel singled out. Plenty of people do the same to their neighbors down here :-(

Ever since I bought my present boat in 2004 I have prepared it for the eventual cruise to Ketchikan and back. Originally planned 12-14 weeks but now cut it to 6-8 weeks since I can't cruise/explore and fish in BC. Been to Port Hardy twice, Broughtons 3 times and multiple trips into Desolation Sound, all with good success. 7 trips to Ucluelet fishing and once to Zeballos fishing so I'm pretty familiar with the west side and what it can be like. 6 years in the Navy running patrol boats in many far away places, grew up on Hoods Canal in Washington and been a boater more years then I can count anymore. Have completed virtually all the work on this boat myself with a hired laborer to help me. Built the engines,rebuilt the transmissions, rewired the boat,gutted and remodeled the cabin interior, installed two chart plotters with depth sensors and a Furuno radar. Carry 200 gallons of fuel and get 1.25mpg at 20-22 knots according to my FloScans. 2.8-3mpg at 6-8knots which I enjoy very much since i installed a Simrad auto pilot. Boat capable of high speed cruise of 28-30 knots for hours. WOT speed is 38-39knots. Having traveled into some of the "southern" remote areas and carry a good deal of spare parts and tools so I feel comfortable undertaking the trip. Will be traveling with wife who is a retired RN of many years. What am I missing and I really want to hear your opinions of my plans. Generally speaking I plan to slow cruise as much as possible with the fast cruise reserved to cross areas that may have narrow weather window considerations.

Let’s see - how’s your ground tackle? Spare anchor? Chart plotters up to date? Dinghy adequate for the trip? Personally, I carry a (tested and certified) survival suit and a ditch bag and a sea anchor, but I may over do it!

Copy of the Douglass book and Charlie’s Charts. New in 2021, the Waggoner Guide now includes SE Alaska, so bring that.

I use a Garmin InReach for communications where nothing else works ....

Hi Bill V,

If you have 12-14 weeks available, why stop at Ketchikan? Lots of gorgeous country, lovely anchorages, great critters, and fine fishing further north in SE AK.

Let’s see - how’s your ground tackle? Spare anchor? Chart plotters up to date? Dinghy adequate for the trip? Personally, I carry a (tested and certified) survival suit and a ditch bag and a sea anchor, but I may over do it!

Copy of the Douglass book and Charlie’s Charts. New in 2021, the Waggoner Guide now includes SE Alaska, so bring that.

I use a Garmin InReach for communications where nothing else works ....

I installed a new Lewmar windlass along with 300' 8 plait 1/2" line and 60' 1/4" 3B chain. Anchor is a 44# Bruce style, back up is Danworth 22# and I carry a Bruce 16.5# for stern anchoring with 10' 1/4" chain and 180' 1/2" 8 plait line. Shore tie is 600' 3/8" poly on a reel. I do have a prepared ditch bag stored in my 9' RIB that carries a 5hp Merc. and is carried horizontally on twin Davits for fast launching.

8 years ago I bought all the charts from a boater that cruised from Seattle to SE Alaska and was relocating to San Diego. From looking them over it appears I have all the charts needed and both my chart plotters are current as of 2018.

I always have a current copy of the Waggoner's, the guides of Don & Reanne Douglas and a 2021 copy of Ports and Passes when it is available.

No survival suit or sea anchor on board.

Hi Bill V,

If you have 12-14 weeks available, why stop at Ketchikan? Lots of gorgeous country, lovely anchorages, great critters, and fine fishing further north in SE AK.

After arriving in Ketchikan we may continue north to even as far as Juneau, All depends on weather, time already spent and how we feel about the trip at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom