"Sport" catamaran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,

Mr. CO. Thanks so much. Yes, we've "seen" both. Our broker went aboard the GB 3490 and we personally visited the GB 3470.

The GB 3490 wasn't too bad but very cluttered as she was a live aboard. Seemed to be fairly well taken care of but wear and tear was evident (upholstery seams need re-doing in places, door seals loose or missing, disconnected bits and pieces, rusty/oily equipment spaces etc.) Last I saw she was under contract.

The GB 3470 was basically a mess IMO. Rust stains around all the hull ports, corroded aluminum tower, VERY degraded finish (varnish?) on all internal teak and holly hatches and the kicker was about a quart of steering fluid in one of the bilges, evidently left over from a recent steering "repair". She's been run hard and put away wet.

Pricing started at $217.5K last year and is now down to $137.5K. HAH! Watch for another price drop.

Thanks again.

I got a chance to help my brother deliver his new to him 'sport catamaran' from La Connor to it's new home in Sequim over the last two days.

It is a C-Dory Tomcat about 30' overall. Nice ride.

Attachments

• Sport Cat.jpg
    Sport Cat.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 33
I got a chance to help my brother deliver his new to him 'sport catamaran' from La Connor to it's new home in Sequim over the last two days.

It is a C-Dory Tomcat about 30' overall. Nice ride.

Ooooh. Drooling. I love the Tomcat. With your eclectic taste in big boats, what did you think of it, Klee?

Cheers,

Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• TomCat.jpg
    TomCat.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 21
Greetings,
Mr. kw. Thanks for the comment. We DID look at C-D's on line and it's not quite close enough to compromise.

Not really frustrated, yet, but getting a bit antsy as we're planning on heading south some time before the middle of November.

The Memsaab's proclivity to "boat fever" will intensify to the point of "We're buying a boat!" as we head southward. While she is totally on board with a cat she is equally on board with ANY boat whereas I have a much stronger lean towards a cat (no pun intended).

We've pretty well narrowed the choices down to Glacier Bay 3070/3080, World Cat 320 EC, Arrow Cat 320. POSSIBLE GB 3480/3490.

Vive la chasse!

iu

Greetings,
Mr. CO. Thanks so much. She's a bit too big but I'll inquire in any case. No pic's of inside nor ER space.

Wasn't sure if it would pique your interest, I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for.

I know this one doesn't have the outboards, but I liked the pair of Cummins and that also allows easy boarding via the swim step and gate.

Greetings,
Mr. CO. Almost starting the approach to the point of desperation. Not quite there yet but the memsaab is starting to push me to look at mono-hulls (UGH!).

As with the majority of consumer goods, the evolution of boats is ongoing. The particular models of Cat I'm interested in were never made in large numbers and are quite rare in the used market so that compounds the search. Most units in the used market are center consoles and their popularity has been fairly steady for the last 15 to 20 years. People seem to replace their CC's with new CC's. I would (gasp) go with a mono-hull before going to a CC. A cuddy is still a major priority.

The good thing is while a separate head was an imperative for the Admiral initially, she has now allowed me to look at some models that do not have that feature. MY criteria have changed a bit, as well. I'm willing to consider more canvas/eisenlass (sp?) over completely enclosed helms.

Compromises, compromises....Ahhhh.....She's out there. Just haven't made the connection yet. Thanks for the lead.

[T]he evolution of boats is ongoing. The particular models of Cat I'm interested in were never made in large numbers and are quite rare in the used market so that compounds the search . . . Compromises, compromises . . .

Have you tried designing what you want, just as a thought exercise? Find a pencil and a blank sheet of graph paper, and see whether what emerges could even work. Whenever I try it, boy do I wind up making compromises.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Not necessary. There are several makes and specific models that I would be comfortable with. I've noted these in my post #34. Anything similar may do, as well.

As I mentioned, the boats ARE out there but in small numbers or in difficult locations (wrong coast/wrong continent or simply too far away for multiple trips to view and/or survey).

I notice prices ARE moderating slightly and some interesting boats have dropped in price but not so much that we would put in an offer. There are one or two that were grossly overpriced for their condition that have been listed for months at the same price.

One VERY nice prospect might be https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2017-world-cat-2770-8585246/. I would be wanting radar and autopilot and adding the costs on top of the $160K is just that much too much.

iu

Dear Mr. RT:

I don't know where you are (you mentioned "heading south" a while back), but I just ran across this Florida listing and thought of you.

I know you've been looking at WC's and GB's in the 30-ft range, but you have also mentioned that you and your spouse are getting a little antsy.

You also mentioned in another thread that you are getting a boat surveyed on the 14th - four days from now. If that one doesn't work out... here's a WC you might be interested in. I don't particularly care for the red color, but that may be immaterial for you.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/d/melbourne-2007-world-cat-270sc/7582776654.html

Edit: Hubby and I are big fans of trailerable boats here in the hurricane zone; that's what piqued my interest in this one. Probably too short for you, though. But it has a/c!

Warm Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
RT..... Have you seen or thought about Americats?

Factory right here in FT Pierce. Good excuse to visit both the factory and the Feb get together.

Even if not interested in new, you see the work and they may have a network of selling owners handy.

Greetings,

Good grief!!! Now I'm freaked out...

3 suggestions on the day our purchase offer is accepted. Thanks Ms. MT, Mr. ps and Mr. mv.

I request you wait just a bit until she's sitting in our slip. Baby steps, as it were.

Name suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom