Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #21

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
From a purely selfish standpoint, I certainly hope this isn't the new normal. Late summer is prime cruising weather in the PNW and BC. The smoke the last couple of years has really put a damper on it.
Yeah, it really has. Donna and I have decided to shoot for a couple of windows next year in May, June and early July for that very reason. We always used to do family camping trips and boating trips in July and August and enjoyed wonderful weather. In the past ten years, however, we've found ourselves breathing smoke every single time we've been out in August. Last year the smoke started earlier than this year and lasted for ever. I hope it doesn't last too terribly long this time, but the BC fires are nowhere near being controlled.

Three factors are at play: (1) warmer temperatures have allowed the bark beetles to spread massively and vast areas of trees are standing dead and dry, (2) those same warmer temps have meant more lightning than the Pacific Northwest has ever seen before (notice how our clouds have changed?), and (3) the higher temps mean higher convective wind speeds and strengthen two legs of the fire triangle, heat and oxygen.

It may well prove to be our new normal, sadly enough.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I was reading that this smoke just has spent two days in the Dallas, TX area and been quite noticeable there creating a brownish haze. As I'm not in Dallas, I can't confirm it personally but did find it mentioned in the Dallas newspaper.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #23

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Really bad over here at Pender Island. Visibility down to a mile or so when running into the sun, coming south today.

But we lucked out at Princess Louisa Inlet!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I have read accounts of the fires in WA, but didn’t know they were that bad.

Things are different in SoCal the past 10 years. I grew up in a coastal town, and no one had AC in the 60s-90’s. Not anymore.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Spooky Marine layer and/or smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I was reading that this smoke just has spent two days in the Dallas, TX area and been quite noticeable there creating a brownish haze. As I'm not in Dallas, I can't confirm it personally but did find it mentioned in the Dallas newspaper.

Just checked with my son in Dallas, TX and they have had air quality ďorangeĒ the last few days where they recommend that you keep outdoor activity be kept to minimum. The sun has been a blood red orange ball apparently.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #26

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Update: a little wave of weather came through early this morning and cleared the air, we have blue sky and can breathe again!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #27

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
That’s good to hear. We are in Langley headed for Anacortes today, the smoke is still bad here. Olympia to Blake Island on Tuesday and Blake to Langley yesterday the visibility was about 3/4 of a mile based on when I could visually verify a radar target. Some areas a little better.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #28
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Update: a little wave of weather came through early this morning and cleared the air, we have blue sky and can breathe again!
In Oregon, where I live, a wind shift simply brings dense smoke from a new direction.

In BC, where I am currently seeking refuge, two days of smoke have been succeeded by a frontal passage and lovely marine air.

Oh, Canada!
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post

It is clearing up nicely from the South. This morning on the way to work I was able to see the Olympics and the Tacoma airport reports 8 miles visibility. I think they were up to 10 miles visibility in Olympia and Shelton.

Of course when I say "clearing up" I really mean cloudy, some drizzle, and a LOT less smoke. I really am happy to see the rain!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #30

Saratoga Passage between Whidbey and Camano islands has cleared out within the last couple of hours.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #31

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
I don't usually welcome cool wind and rain, but today's weather is beautiful.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #32
Guru

Iím at cornet bay and itís quite hazy even after we had a sprinkle this morning. Iíve developed a chest cough and hard to swallow. Ready for more rain.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Iím at cornet bay and itís quite hazy even after we had a sprinkle this morning. Iíve developed a chest cough and hard to swallow. Ready for more rain.

Sorry. It isnít quite as bad here right now, although yesterday we could really smell the smoke in the air.

I was thinking about using Cornet Bay as a stopover before going through Deception Pass the next morning. Never been there.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #34

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
I’m at cornet bay and it’s quite hazy even after we had a sprinkle this morning. I’ve developed a chest cough and hard to swallow. Ready for more rain.
Treat that like you would a pollen allergy. Take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at bedtime and daytime if it doesn’t make you too drowsy. For most people it does. Daytime, use any of the non-sedative ones like Loratadine (Claritan, etc., also super cheap at Costco as “Allerclear”).

If you have none of these on your boat, a strong cup of coffee will also do the trick. Caffeine is a very effective antihistamine and a cup of coffee can actually save a life in an acute asthma attack if no other meds are to hand.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post
Treat that like you would a pollen allergy. Take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at bedtime and daytime if it doesnít make you too drowsy. For most people it does. Daytime, use any of the non-sedative ones like Loratadine (Claritan, etc., also super cheap at Costco as ďAllerclearĒ).

If you have none of these on your boat, a strong cup of coffee will also do the trick. Caffeine is a very effective antihistamine and a cup of coffee can actually save a life in an acute asthma attack if no other meds are to hand.
If the congestion is already to your chest, check the color phlegm and if it's got color, then immediately get to a doctor and get an antibiotic as your allergic response has likely turned into an infection which can easily lead to pneumonia.

You've already gone through nasal congestion to throat to lung so may have missed the opportunity to treat successfully with an antihistamine only.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #36
Guru

Thanks for your concern. A little yellow Color in the morning for a couple days. Iím getting a good nights rest, If I donít improve Iíll consider stopping by a clinic as I have to get fuel in Anacortes tomorrow and rid the boat of liquor before heading towards BC.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
Yeah, it's a really good question. I was thinking about pilots who run into disastrous trouble flying into instrument meteorological conditions when they don't have an IFR rating, or who push on past the point of no return on fuel, victims of "getthereitis."

I like night passages. We should have had half a moon for light and the spotlight makes it less stressful during crabbing season. A fresh wind had blown in and rather than clearing the air it only made the smoke thicker.

Yeah, we could have easily turned back. By the time it was fully dark the light smoke conditions at the north end of the trip had gotten much worse; that was nearly the halfway point. Along that stretch of coast there is no anchorage at all for a boat our size and considerable tug, barge and large ship traffic; I knew that dropping the hook in shallower (unprotected) water would only result in me staying up on watch all night. I did consider several places but decided that pushing on, while exhausting, was not actually dangerous.

Would I choose to do this again? Nope.
Maybe I missed it in the posts... how fast were you traveling in those "blind" conditions?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. A little yellow Color in the morning for a couple days. I’m getting a good nights rest, If I don’t improve I’ll consider stopping by a clinic as I have to get fuel in Anacortes tomorrow... before heading towards BC.
Two years back it was going to cost me, as a "foreigner" Australian, $250+ to see a Doctor in Canada. I discovered a pharmacist can prescribe antibiotics, for effectively the price of the antibiotic medication, which it sounds as if you need. Maybe do it in USA first?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:39 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Sorry. It isnít quite as bad here right now, although yesterday we could really smell the smoke in the air.

I was thinking about using Cornet Bay as a stopover before going through Deception Pass the next morning. Never been there.

There is easy hikes around here, which is good for me as Iím recovering from foot surgery. There are a couple floating docks that make for a good overnight. Iím at the main dock as it makes the dog walks easier. The downside is that the main dock gets taken over by fisherman during the day.

Dead calm tonight, would have been a good night to hang in Bowman Bay just around the corner. I had to put a patch the dingy today, so did not want to be at anchor.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #40

Yesterday in Ganges we had a light drizzle and overcast skies but today in Trincomali Channel visibility is quite good, blue skies between mid-level cumulus.