Old 09-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pentwater
Splashing boat after 6 months on the hard

Hello fellow trawler owners... haven't been on here for awhile because we had to go back to our dirt home because of the Covid situation. Cruising around from marina to marina in Florida didn't seem like a good idea back in May. Anyway, thankfully we are headed back to our lovely Selene 43 in December and we are splashing her back in the water! Since we haven't had to store this type of boat on land before I am asking for any commissioning tips you guys may have. She has been stored in St. Pete so we don't have major temp fluctuations to worry about. We are thinking we'll pay the boat yard to wash and wax her and change the oil. Anything else? So looking forward to getting back on board. Hopefully we can cruise this year without too much hassle!
Julsburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Potable water tanks might need action depending how you stored them.
Fuel condition.
Batteries are always on my work list.
A 12 vdc and 120 vac circuit check.
Cycle seacocks and clean marine strainers.
Smoke detector checks.
I have seen over and over problems when boats are inactive, assume nothing till you check it.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

We left the water tanks full with some bleach in them. Hubby plans to check and charge batteries. Not sure what cycling the seacocks means??
Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
Not sure what cycling the seacocks means??

Open and close to make sure they are easily operable and left in the correct position
Old 09-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
Hello fellow trawler owners... haven't been on here for awhile because we had to go back to our dirt home because of the Covid situation. Cruising around from marina to marina in Florida didn't seem like a good idea back in May. Anyway, thankfully we are headed back to our lovely Selene 43 in December and we are splashing her back in the water! Since we haven't had to store this type of boat on land before I am asking for any commissioning tips you guys may have. She has been stored in St. Pete so we don't have major temp fluctuations to worry about. We are thinking we'll pay the boat yard to wash and wax her and change the oil. Anything else? So looking forward to getting back on board. Hopefully we can cruise this year without too much hassle!
You would trust anybody to change your oil? If your hull is painted with Awlcraft, a soft-ish paint, like mine, you might want to rethink or at least carefully instruct regarding "waxing." I am not completely kidding here because there are so many ways to screw up a really nice boat like that.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
We left the water tanks full with some bleach in them. Hubby plans to check and charge batteries. Not sure what cycling the seacocks means??
OK, me again. Somewhere in the dim past I remember a comment that chlorine placed in a tank of water will, unless vents are capped, will have a shorter shelf life than the period under discussion here. Maybe best to dump most and just refill with a trusted supply?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I've got a boat in Florida. In that heat, the water doesn't last long.

How o you use your water? If you drink it -- time to flush and refill the tank. If you just shower and hand wash with it, if it doesn't smell bad to you, it is good enough.

If it were me, I'd smell it. If it smelled good, I'd dump it and refill fresh. If it smelled bad, I'd shock it, and the refill fresh.

But, it is so easy to empty and refill, I'd just do that in any case.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #8

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogan\Manatee
We store on the hard every winter...

Empty water tanks. Refill with a cup of bleach for every 100 gallons of water let it sit in the tanks for a couple of hours (rocking the boat during this time is good.) Drain the tanks, by opening ALL your taps until you smell bleach at each one. Then empty the rest the best way... Refill tanks and empty again using all taps until you no longer smell bleach at each one.... Refill tanks and you should be good to go...

check all your through hull connections and hoses when you cycle your valves - check to see if there is any deterioration of the hoses and hose clamps and make sure they are all in the desired position.

after the boat gets splashed check all the through hulls for leaks, before you move away from the travel lift - you may need to come right back out!

If you have a stuffing box, check for the right amount of drip - if it is dripless check the hose clamps and hoses.
Chicago IL and Midvale Utah
Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:32 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"and change the oil."

Perhaps better left till the engine is operating and warmed up with a few hours run time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Paul. Your advice is spot on. We do plan on recycling the full water tank. We left them full with bleach to hopefully cut down on crud growing on the sides of the tank. Good points about waiting to change the oil after the engine has had a chance to warm up... We're just trying to get as much done ahead of time by the boat yard so when we show up from the hinterlands of Michigan we can provision the boat and move away from the dock pretty quickly since this yard doesn't really have any dock space to stay at.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Guru

You should never "wax" awlgrip or similar paints. Neither should you use a high speed polisher. Manufacturer of awlgrip sya to wash with their awlwash product then hand rub their sealer/finish coat. Using (high speed) mechanical polishers can damage paint. Waxing is not necessary. Our awlgrip maintained its finish for many years with only light treatments. There is no point in doing more than a simple rinse with freshwater before storing the boat. No matter how it is stored the boat will get dirty. Do the awlgrip clean etc before launching.

Other annual lay-up items;

1. Flush reverse AC lines and engine seawater cooling lines with fresh water.
2. Replace engine oil and filter
3. Drain water tanks and hot water tank - leave empty - no reason to fill and/or bleach
4. Flush and drain toilets and holding tank
5. Ensure frig / icemaker doors propped open to avoid mold
6. Charge all batteries and if possible leave on trickle chargers or arrange for
yard to top up charge
7. Check engine coolant levels (before or after storing)
8. If in any doubt about possible freeze (even in FL) flush all water lines using RV antifreeze.
9. Fill diesel tanks and add stabilizers to reduce risk of condensation moisture in fuel
10. Probably other items that I have forgotten!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks Chris. Our boat is not Awlgrip... it has never been painted. The previous owner had it professionally cleaned and waxed before we took ownership. Thanks for your other listed items.