Speedseal covers for impeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Anyone have an idea where I can order a Speedseal cover for a Perkins 4-236 engine???

Thanks,
John

Perhaps?????

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html
Although this might be a clue as to why you may be having difficulties

closure_speedseal.jpg

Perhaps?????

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html
Although this might be a clue as to why you may be having difficulties

Yeah, it may be. Thanks. Drat!! Now I have to continue to take those damned 6 screws out, change the impeller, put the screws back in, etc. And Murphy's Law says that I am going to drop at least one of them. A corollary to that Law says that once I drop it, I will never, ever, this side of Glory, find it. Oh well. I was never promised a rose garden, I guess.]

Seriously, thanks.

John

Greetings,
Mr. jw. I will be replacing all my cover screws with SS socket head cap screws. The Allen socket stays on the key better than slot or those cursed Philips...

Pee Ass: Buy extras.

I do not understand how the cover with teflon bearing on just one side helps the OTHER side of the impeller? the pressure will be just as strong on that side and wont be a spinning bearing to take the side pressure off the impeller blades. Makes no sense to me how it can run dry unless both sides are able to free spin. And you still got the cam and rubber arms flailing about. Whole thing seems iffy to me.

The promotional video I saw, the guy said it can run dry for hours.
And the other thing is arm set. The impellers arms supposedly when sitting for a while, they are compressed by the cam and don't work as well. Unless that is now a myth?

Other thing, most of my impellers, the arms crack due to the rubber aging.
Only a globe impeller I was able to run for 4 years and the arms were ok, but the sides wore down, then it would not suck water, no ability to prime.

How will it help with arms cracking ? It can not. I think they are out of business for a good reason, not enough interested buyers, due to the improvement claims make little sense. Did they try to sell the business?

I have a jabsco gear driven impeller pump with 2 impellers for the FWC, continually bathed in antifreeze, and those impellers have never worn out, not for the last 15 years of use.
Imagine a bronze pump with one large inlet and 2 small outlets, each outlet fed by its own impeller. How bizarre is that.

The raw water impellers do go bad.

Last edited:
Couldn't get a Speedseal with a teflon disc for our engine. Very happy with the basic Speedseal...putting the cover on is a no-see touchy-feely endeavour.

Greetings,
Mr. jw. I will be replacing all my cover screws with SS socket head cap screws. The Allen socket stays on the key better than slot or those cursed Philips...

Yeah, good suggestion, RTF. I will go that route also, I guess. As you say, the Allen socket wrench definitely is better than a screwdriver!!

Yeah, good suggestion, RTF. I will go that route also, I guess. As you say, the Allen socket wrench definitely is better than a screwdriver!!

Dont over tighten the screws. People see that socket head cap bolt and it is so easy to overtighten them.
I suppose the bronze screws that come with these pumps are better cause your not mixing metals and setting up a battery to corrode things.

I just made a new paper gasket from a grocery bag on the MCCK generator.
I smeared it with maine grease.
Then I used a little Rectorseal T plus 2 teflon paste on the metal surfaces.
No leaks, I do that because it keep the gasket from sticking and I can reuse it.

I love our Speedseals. Very sorry to hear they have gone out of business.

Very sad to see them go out of business, I've been a loyal follower for years and they are a godsend. We're cruising the French canals and the Speedseal run dry kit has saved my engine a couple of times when the filter got blocked and it gave me time to pull in safely and clean the filter.
Someone somewhere buy the business.

Back
Top Bottom