speed seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have it and IMO it is the best change we have made to the engine. It is expensive, but I can now change the impeller in a very short period of time with little effort. I don't have to have any tools to remove the plate and don't have to worry about loosing the screws under the engine or the heads snapping off. I like it.

Several people on the Grand Banks forum have installed these on their FL120 raw water pumps and are quite pleased with them. I was considering it but then we eliminated the original water pump and drive coupler altogether and replaced them with new one-piece Johnson pumps. I don't know if they make a Speed Seal for this pump. But given that we change our impellers only every couple of years or so and that the pumps on the engines are easy to get at I've never found it to be a hassle to remove the cover plate so I don't know that the Speed Seal would be much of an advantage.

But if one changes impellers fairly frequently I guess they can be a time-saver. I don't recall reading any negative comments on them on the GB forum.

Yep. Have 'em on our FL120's and love 'em. *Takes about 5 minutes to change impellers now.

The one question I would have is how long does it take for the impeller to wear down the inside of the SpeedSeal cover? On the stock Jabsco raw water pump as fitted to the FL120 the impeller--- which has to be a snug fit between the pump cover and the wear plate in order to move the proper amount of water---- will eventually wear a depression into the inside of the cover at which point the pump's efficiency begins to drop off. At that point, the cover needs to be replaced.

A clever trick used by a lot of mechanics is to simply reverse the stock pump cover, thus getting twice the life out of it.

I have not talked to anyone who's had a SpeedSeal setup on their pumps long enough to determine the rate of wear. But because only one side of the cover is machined for the nitrile O-ring, the SpeedSeal cover cannot be flipped when the inside has been worn down to the point where it needs to be replaced.

There is as much wear on the inside of the pump by the impeller as there is on the seal side.

The bump that causes the pumping action also is a replacement item.

Perhaps a NEW pump with a speed seal would last for 4 or 5 impellers , then could be carried as a spare?

Mostly depends on how sandy the water is.

I put one on my Lehman 135 back around 1992 and it's still fine. About 1000 hours at at least 8 impeller changes. I wouldn't be without it.

Not sure it would help my installation!!! I honestly don't think there is enough room in front of the plate to be able to extract the impeller. There is only about 2 inches of space for a 3 inch long impeller.... I need to take a better look because as it is now, it is a 2-3 hour job to change a stinking impeller!!!!

I guess you have to remove the entire pump to change the impeller?

Keith wrote:

I guess you have to remove the entire pump to change the impeller?

Yep....and to make that easier....you have to remove the alternator....:-[...one of those deals...

What engine manufacturer designed that beauty?

Yanmar of all folks!!! 4LHA... Damn near worth hiring it out...that is how bad it is. Or at least get a quote....and don't use the same guy twice!!!...
smile.gif

Can you remote mount the pump and run off a pulley on the front of the engine??
Access to the pump in a seaway or on a lee shore could be a worry

Allan

An emergency electric pump will be reliable for a few hundred hours to get you home.

Might be a good on board spare?

Do they make such an animal FF or are you talking about rigging one up?

Marin wrote:

The one question I would have is how long does it take for the impeller to wear down the inside of the SpeedSeal cover?
I was told by the Speed Seal folks that they make a cover with a bearing to address this issue. Cost $ 20.00 more.

SD

skipperdude wrote:I was told by the Speed Seal folks that they make a cover with a bearing to address this issue. Cost $ 20.00 more.

SD
If and when I ever need to replace my Speed Seal cover I'll pony up the extra $20 for the fancier cover. For the few $ involved for this part and the peace of mind it gives me it's well, well worth it even for the routine Spring time replacement of the impeller.

Maybe I take all the horror stories too seriously ....* changing impellers or fuel filters in a hot engine room in a rough, congested seaway on a lee shore, etc., etc..* I did go with the Speed Seal.* I was deep into building an elaborate, redundant fuel filtration system when I finally got a little perspective and realized the existing remote Dahl filter and on-engine filters were working just fine.* And for how I use my boat and where I buy fuel I didn't really need a system designed for cruising to 3rd world countries.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:* for how I use my boat and where I buy fuel I didn't really need a system designed for cruising to 3rd world countries.
Amen Brother.

If I ever did get a load of bad fuel I would hope the Raycor and the two filters on the engine would take care of the problem. Just change the filters and drain the Raycor. I always have spares on board. If not I can always hire or rent a portable fuel polishing system.***

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 09:37:23 AM

Being cheap I use standard high head cap/hex screws. **We have sea strainers on all the engine though hulls to protect the impeller.* For me the hardest part is compressing the impeller so it fits in the pump housing as I do not have hand strength, and heaven forbid if I should wreck a manicure or worse yet break a nail! **Having a stand up walk around engine room and easy access also helps.

Anyway, I would buy sea strainer before those speed seals!*

Got a sea strainer.
It's those little slot head machine screws that keep getting coroded onto the cover. Green crud. I hope the Speed Seal will make it easy to swap out the impeller every spring.

SD

Phill, next time you change an impeller here is a way that helps me, wrap a nylon cable tie around the impeller zip tighten it in stages while squeezing the vanes. The nylon tie will hold it compressed so you can slide it partway into the pump housing, snip the tie and shove it in the rest of the way. lubing it with soap or soapy water will help.
Good Luck
Steve W.

"Phill, next time you change an impeller here is a way that helps me, wrap a nylon cable tie around the impeller zip tighten it in stages while squeezing the vanes."

Why didn't I think of that?
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

-- Edited by Anode on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 05:50:39 PM

Make sure the vanes are bent in the correct direction. I spray with silicone before inserting, and the wire tie slips right off after the impeller is in place. No need to cut.

Really doesn't matter which way the vanes are facing - they sort themselves out.*** I just*sort of push/rotate*the impeller part-way in by hand and then tap it in with a hammer.

-- Edited by Bendit on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 04:26:55 PM

-- Edited by Bendit on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 04:28:32 PM

Back
Top Bottom