Speaking of canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
The top of my flybridge enlcosure is getting threadbare, one can see the sun through some of the stitching on the top. The sides and "glass" are Ok.
I have been thinking, to get a few more years out of it before replacing the whole thing to have a second sunbrella top laid and stitched onto the old top. Very simple and should eliminate leaks for a few years till I get the entire thing redone.
Anybody had this done?
Comments, suggestions always welcome

Easier said than done.

Really tough to do this type of work. I think you would be better in the long run to just have a new top made. Then in a few years have the enclosure redone, if your current enclosure is still in good shape.

Most reputable canvas guys/gals won't do a job like your thinking. They found out the hard way, what a job it is.

A canvas guy here was very happy to restitch mine, said it should be done every few years and life would be extended, it seems to be working. Just getting the thing off the frame is a black art in itself.
But if yours needs a second "skin", you probably needs a new one.

Instead of restitching every few years, why not go with Tenara thread in the first place and not have to restitch ever as long as the canvas lasts? It costs a little more up front, but you save in the long run. Some canvas shops are not willing to use Tenara because they "can't" get it to sew correctly. You do have to setup the machine a little differently, but once it is setup there isn't a problem with sewing with the Tenara thread. It is all that I use.

Instead of restitching every few years, why not go with Tenara thread in the first place and not have to restitch ever as long as the canvas lasts? It costs a little more up front, but you save in the long run. Some canvas shops are not willing to use Tenara because they "can't" get it to sew correctly. You do have to setup the machine a little differently, but once it is setup there isn't a problem with sewing with the Tenara thread. It is all that I use.

This.

I have been thinking, to get a few more years out of it before replacing the whole thing to have a second sunbrella top laid and stitched onto the old top. Very simple and should eliminate leaks for a few years till I get the entire thing redone.
Anybody had this done?
Comments, suggestions always welcome

Steve
I've seen this done once and have to say it wasn't particularly attractive.
The "patch" was not full coverage as that would require removing and redoing the edge binding - so they did it slightly smaller and turned the edge under on the patch. Color didn't match and it looked kinda like a blow-out patch.
I've seen many tops you could see daylight through that lasted a few more yrs w/ kind treatment - restitching - and a good job of water repellent treatment. Are your leaks actual holes or just sunlight visible between threads.
If the later a good water repellent treatment might give you some addn'l life. I've used some liquid seamsealer similar to what Aquafarm mentioned along seams / stitching where they were leaking. I applied it to the inside to avoid any spotting / irregular look on the outside..
If it's the former I have so say I'm w/ CrustyChief - better to have a new top made now - side panels later if they are still good. Also agree it would be hard to find a canvas shop that will do "patching"... most don't want to bother as they usually have plenty of new work. That's the primary reason I bought myself a machine and started doing my own canvas work...but that was before I bought our current boat that has NO Canvas! and loving it - Lol
I put a file in the Library - Misc - Sunbrella Cleaning & Care that includes some tips on using 303 water repellent which is what Sunbrella recommends.

Last edited:
Yes, I can now see it would be hard to get the edges of the second top to match up with the outer seam of the first. I'l take a look at some of the sealers like Plasti Seam. give that a try and in a couple of years redo the whole thing.
Thanks all!

Originally Posted by Aquafarm View Post
Plasti-Seam Seam Sealer PS-2

Do you know of another source for this product? They are out of stock. I've tried searching on. Google but no luck. The seams on my bimini top are leaking and I'm trying to find a reliable sealer.

Drake

I'd try Iosso Seam Sealer from Sailrite... I haven't used either but it looks same / similar and is recommended for Sunbrella / synthetics.

I've used some others but don't recall the names - I'd suggest apply from bottom side first - to see if there is any color change etc.

Back
Top Bottom