Old 05-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Spare fuel filters for trip up the coast

Hi all, weather permitting, I am going to leave in a few weeks for our trip up the coast to Anacortes.

The captain I hired said I should buy some spare fuel filters in case we hit rough weather that stirs up any sediment that could be in the fuel tanks.

On the Volvo D4-300I-F, seems like there is a fuel filter on the engine itself, plus one mounted externally. See photo.

Should I be thinking about spares for each of these filters? Or just one? I assume the one mounted externally is a pre-filter that not only filters, but separates any water that could be in the fuel?

Any help is much appreciated.

Any other tips before I leave?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4687.jpg  
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 1969. IF you have the room, you can never have too many filters IMO. They do not go bad in storage. Spares for ALL filters. MY $.02.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Were heading south along the west coast in a month or so, and Ive stocked up on “all” filters. You can never have too many. Especially the fuel filters, 8 of the fuel filters on the main, and 10 each for the dual racors. And we will be installing new filters on the racors prior to departure.
If in doubt, more is better.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 1969. IF you have the room, you can never have too many filters IMO. They do not go bad in storage. Spares for ALL filters. MY $.02.
+1
Old 05-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
RT is once again correct. I have about 3/4 spares for each engine and about a dozen Racors foreach engine. They don’t go bad so stock up locally at a good price.

Cheers.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We delivered a previous boat we bought down the west coast back in 2002. I stocked up on many Racor filters because I was sure the fuel tank was dirty. Never used even 1. 3 years ago we delivered our current boat from Virginia to Michigan and again we stocked up on many filters, and never used 1. Now I am not recommending not carrying spares because if I didn’t carry spares I would have needed lots.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Without question, change the on engine VP filters before the trip and the racor's.

If you need to change the VP's during the trip, the port engine will be a PITA and very hot. Stbd engine would be ok.
Priming the VP's - Read the manual and get a 3' section of clear plastic hose to prime the VP's
Carry a gallon or so of clean diesel to refill the racor's after changing. (and a safe way to fill the racor after inserting a new filter)

I have changed my filters and can do the racors in about 20 mins and the VP's take about 30 mins for both.

Also - I added a petcock to the bottom of the racors to check and see if any junk is floating around.

Also + - The VP's have a water in fuel sensor. Get a spare ($80.00???) The WIF sensor can break VERY easily if you over tighten.

And as with the other posts - get some spares for the VP's and racor.

Also ++ Carry a few spare engine and genset impellers

Good luck
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I always change the fuel filters before I do a coastal delivery. I also carry at least 4 spares per engine per filter type. I either use none (in most cases) or I use them all (only happened once). Murphy’s Law.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I agree with all of the above. However, if you have fuel issues, most of the time, changing the first fuel filter is all that's necessary. While the first filter is usually courser and the second on the engine is finer, the first filter will pick up a great deal of what the second is designed to trap, through a process called "caking". The point I'm getting to is that while I would have one or two changes of on engine fuel filters for each engine, I might double or triple the quantity for the first filters.

Just because your tanks are clean, doesn't mean you can't get a load of crap at the fuel dock. I'm the voice of experience.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
First, if you have space, time and budget, make the Racor a double. Then you can just switch filters underway and not miss a beat.

Second, absolutely carry spares of every filter, at least two of the engine mounted filters and six of the Racors. More if you have room. As many have said, they won’t go bad and you’ll need them sooner or later anyway.

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
FF
Guru

AS It might be months or a few years before filters are needed using a vacuum bag will keep them longer.

Engine Oil filters are probably the worst , as the thin unprotected sheet metal can begin to rust rapidly in a damp environment.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We delivered a previous boat we bought down the west coast back in 2002. I stocked up on many Racor filters because I was sure the fuel tank was dirty. Never used even 1. 3 years ago we delivered our current boat from Virginia to Michigan and again we stocked up on many filters, and never used 1. Now I am not recommending not carrying spares because if I didn’t carry spares I would have needed lots.

That's the best possible outcome. You have plenty of filters, and don't need to change them while underway.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
As the others have said, stock up on the filters and don't leave the dock without them. The advice you were given is spot-on. Unlike comodave's experience, we were bringing our first boat home... had only owned it two full days... got caught in some bumpy seas that stirred up previously unknown sludge in the starboard fuel tank... and clogged both the primary and secondary filters. Had to change them twice on the way into port. It can happen. 'tis best to be prepared.

Let us know how it goes.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I carry one on-engine secondary and a few Racor primaries. Usually start a trip with both fresh. In a 2000nm trip over a month, I might change the Racor once. But I have had the secondary get cloggy without the Racor clogging, I think the media got swollen from dissolved water, who knows. No liquid water visible in fuel but replacing the sec solved the issue.

And carrying spares is good, but I do think the filters age out. I don't like using filters that are years old. Keep a few on the boat and cycle them through.

Going to Alaska I might not worry about the filters aging out, I would not want to run out!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I carry one on-engine secondary and a few Racor primaries. Usually start a trip with both fresh. In a 2000nm trip over a month, I might change the Racor once. But I have had the secondary get cloggy without the Racor clogging, I think the media got swollen from dissolved water, who knows. No liquid water visible in fuel but replacing the sec solved the issue.

And carrying spares is good, but I do think the filters age out. I don't like using filters that are years old. Keep a few on the boat and cycle them through.

Going to Alaska I might not worry about the filters aging out, I would not want to run out!!
Ski, I am getting the impression that one need not carry a lot of fuel filters on the east coast as it is easy to pick up more should you go through several in one day. Here on the West Coast we are typically going around the clock and won’t see an opportunity to pick up more fuel filters for days.

I think on the west coast we are more likely to run into issues as all crossing are at sea and often with a bar crossing. Might be why the WC people are more paranoid.

I certainly don’t disagree with ski on aged filters. However in the scope of things filters are cheap, i’d Rather throw away extras than come up short one.

That said, on my last trip we brought a brokerage boat from LA to Seattle and never needed to change a filter. Fortunately I was able to return the 10 spare filters.

How is that for free advice?
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Cruising is all about beautiful sunsets, great friends and the smell of diesel.

All great advice above. Open ocean cruising means one must be more self sufficient than usual.
If you run out, in an emergency, I have reused filters after draining and rinsing out with fuel. Oh, how I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

But, since you, like me are stuck here waiting for those ferocious NW winds to abate (my guess at this point is it's at least two weeks away, since the high is being very stubborn), I'd have half a dozen engine filters and a dozen racors.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #17
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Richard, you heading north soon? Weather permitting, of course.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
What RT said. Beginning a passage with fresh filters is common sense, but discovering the need to change a filter (or filters) seems to happen at the least convenient moment. Often I have made offshore trips with boats that had spent months stationary, or cruising in protected waters. When the need to change fuel filters presented itself, it was in a sweltering engine compartment with the boat tossing uncomfortably and fuel running down my arms. Having ample spares aboard is one less source of stress.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ski and all

A number of years ago the Hatteras (871) clogged the Racors, I found a box of filters and replaced two. Solved the problem but soon found out those filter were put in the bilge about twenty years before (they did have a little rust) but still worked fine. Not sure what can happen to paper that’s kept dry over years. Maybe I just got lucky.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Straight swap spare raw water pump is worthwhile IMHO.

We had the bearing in ours start to noticeably fail about 4 hours out from our proposed anchorage a while back.
Next day when moving to a better spot it went terminal.
Thankfully we were in an area where I could, with a long dinghy ride, fast ferry, courier, get it to a place for rebuild at considerable expense.
After that I bought a straight swap replacement as a spare for less than the cost of the jabsco rebuild.

Lucky I did as a few weeks back we had exhaust alarms go off and no water from exhaust forcing us to shut down and assess thankfully in a reasonable spot.
Turns out the repairers had overtightened the 1/2 inch long screws on the impeller plate and they had decided to let go causing loss of suction.

Spare pump in and on our way again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote