Spare anchor stowage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
Well due to a thread of my own and numerous others on anchors and anchoring, I am now the proud owner of a new Vulcan 20kg. I have a small Danforth the PO left me and now the 12kg Bruce I have just removed. I have 3 compartments in the aft cockpit with the generator taking up the middle one almost completely. This leaves the other two for storage of extra lines, fenders, cords, hoses etc., and now at least one extra anchor. The Danforth was basically lying on the hull on a piece of carpet with other stuff around it. Our boating, on the Trent Severn Waterway, primarily sees fairly calm waters, BUT, Lake Simcoe can blow up quick and become very ugly. Having said that I am not comfortable with a 15kg Bruce just thrown in a compartment on a rug or cardboard. How and where do you guys stow your spare anchor or anchors, like Art with 5, so they don't do damage in rough seas??

Our primary spare is a Fortress that we currently store mounted on the bow pulpit rail. Very handy but doesn’t look great. Am thinking about taking it apart and putting it in the dock box that is mounted on the bow deck. Our backup spare is a Danforth that is under the aft cabin bed.

As to storing your 15 kg backup anchor, can you epoxy a couple of wood blocks in the compartment and have some tie downs to hold the anchor to the wood blocks?

Picture on top shows how I used to store a spare on the rail but ready.
Bottom pic shows my current set up after I added to the pulpit.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
Mine sits in the storage space under my forward stateroom. There's a decent bit of flat floor in there, so hooks were added at some point to strap things down to. When I have my spare props onboard, they also go in there and get strapped down.

As to storing your 15 kg backup anchor, can you epoxy a couple of wood blocks in the compartment and have some tie downs to hold the anchor to the wood blocks?

That is certainly a consideration to epoxy something in place as there is currently nothing in these compartments to tie to. Many thanks.

We really don't have the room nor do I want to try to mount it on a rail or anywhere else at the bow. It will hopefully never get used but I wouldn't want to not have a spare.

Mine sits in the storage space under my forward stateroom. There's a decent bit of flat floor in there, so hooks were added at some point to strap things down to. When I have my spare props onboard, they also go in there and get strapped down.

I figured most people tied them down but wasn't sure. Good point on the spare props, I have them in the same compartments in the original cardboard boxes but not tied down. This job is growing already.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom