Southeast Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm also curious about this area, being at the base Grenville Channel. Just to the SW of Hartley Bay and on the north side of Promise island is the Coghlan anchorage. I've seen boats in there before but never used it. It looks like the NE part of it has reasonable protection from southerly wind, but there's also a lot of up and down wind from Douglas channel that might get in there. Has anyone anchored in Coghlan in a blow? Murray M might have some local knowledge, living in Kitimat.

I've anchored in Coghlan a number of times. As you guessed, the wind can channel through there when coming from the right direction, but it's still protection none the less. The biggest issue I've had is that the holding varies quite a bit. I think my chain has always rattled across the bottom when swinging, and I have dragged and had to haul and reset before.

I've anchored in Coghlan a number of times. As you guessed, the wind can channel through there when coming from the right direction, but it's still protection none the less. The biggest issue I've had is that the holding varies quite a bit. I think my chain has always rattled across the bottom when swinging, and I have dragged and had to haul and reset before.

Thanks for the info. Another good spot in that area is Hawk cove on Finn Island, maybe 5 miles on the other side of the entrance to Grenville. Coghlan would work for us better though in most instances.

Thanks for the info. Another good spot in that area is Hawk cove on Finn Island, maybe 5 miles on the other side of the entrance to Grenville. Coghlan would work for us better though in most instances.

And Coghlan is a really convenient place to stage waiting for good timing to transit the Grenville. channel.

Here is what I have so far:
Boat. Owner
Interim. Ron & Jo
Hat Trick. Ken
Silver Bay. Tom
Rob n' Lee
Dream Catcher. Richard
Safe Harbor
Slo~Belle. Al
Pairadice. John & Tracy
Alaskan Sea-diction
Tanglewood. Peter
All weather
Oz
Coast Eagle

Alaskan Sea-Duction Tom and Kay

And right around the corner is some great fishing.

John.....tell me more about this fishing spot, although the local boats fishing it are likely a big hint. I don't know anything about fishing this area, or Gil island for that matter. I'll buy you a beer!

Very shallow.....that's good to know. Thanks......and I will buy you that beer if we cross paths.

If Tom on ASD is with us, you might not have enuff beer. Look forward to hooking up this summer.

We are 52 overall and we docked there twice with no issues. The GitGat tribe basically runs the place and they are very accommodating. You should be prepared to allow side tie, and if your traveling with another boat, you should consider side tying together. Less chance of damage that way. We parked on the first dock to the right of the fuel dock as you enter the bay. Best to dock on the Outside of that dock if your 40+, seems like that dock is over 100 ft.

First time we stayed there for 3 days, second time was about a week later after visiting Murray in Kitimak, again 3 days with no issues. This was in mid June and the King (or spring as the locals refer) were running. Caught 3 nice keepers by hiring a local by the name of George. Best couple hundred bucks I ever spent. Found were to fish, depth,lures and so on. Shared a few pieces of tackle with the locals and were treated very well. No store but they do have a fuel dock. The guy who runs the fuel dock is a real character and will try to get you all riled up, but he's just makin fun. If your quick enuff with a come back, he will get a kick out of it.

Hope that helps, Cheers

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Al, Crusty is not picky. Do they still make Olympia or Rainer??? LOl:D

You dont have a leg to stand on either buddy, what was that Canadian El Cheapo stuff you had stocked last year.

And besides after a few, they all taste the same, until we switch to the Bourbon or Scotch, then its downhill from there.

Better;

Attachments

• AlaskanAmber-300x204.jpg
    AlaskanAmber-300x204.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 213
You dont have a leg to stand on either buddy, what was that Canadian El Cheapo stuff you had stocked last year.

And besides after a few, they all taste the same, until we switch to the Bourbon or Scotch, then its downhill from there.

LOL That's the truth!!! Could buy Alaskan Amber in Canada and if you could it would be $100 a six pack.....

Alaska's brewery in Juneau is worth a day trip with a few more days for recovery.

I like craft beer and Alaska Amber is very high on my list. The economics of shipping AA from SE Alaska to the lower 48 has always perplexed me, bottled beer being as heavy as it is for shipping and then having to compete on price with Washington and Oregon beers. They obviously have it figured out.

Alaska's brewery in Juneau is worth a day trip with a few more days for recovery.

Pop Quiz: Real Alaskans know Alaskan Amber by another name, which is...

Last edited:
bottled beer being as heavy as it is for shipping and then having to compete on price with Washington and Oregon beers. They obviously have it figured out.

The commerce between Southeast and Seattle is carried by barges on which weight is largely irrelevant. And given that beer and recyclables are the only exports...well, there is all that oil...anyway the southbound traffic is mostly empty containers, so it's likely they can negotiate a pretty good rate.

'prof

Icy Strait brewery in Hoonah is worth a stop if you are in the area.

Sounds like you guys go to Alaska to drink beer ??????

The brewery in Juneau, will give free beer to visitors. The older crowd of Juneau locals, still drink a lot of Vitamin R! Rainier..

Which is........?

Well, I was kinda counting on Al from Ketchikan to step up with the answer, but before it went large scale and regional, that little brewery in Juneau made a red ale called "Chinook".

For a few years thereafter you could demonstrate your bona fides by saying, "gimme a Chinook," but a new generation of bartenders have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom