Old 10-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #121
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UFISH2
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 38' PT Performance Europa
Richard and Al, I plan to be up there with a couple of friends. Spending most of the time between Hoonah, Gustavus, and Juneau. Hope to run into you both on the way as well as anyone else. If there is time, may visit Sitka for a couple of days. Leaving early June and returning 1st week in August.

ufish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #122
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufish2 View Post
Richard and Al, I plan to be up there with a couple of friends. Spending most of the time between Hoonah, Gustavus, and Juneau. Hope to run into you both on the way as well as anyone else. If there is time, may visit Sitka for a couple of days. Leaving early June and returning 1st week in August.
Will keep an eagle eye open!!

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #123
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Hi Perry!

Been home only a week, and am already looking forward to next year. Hope to see you up there. Dream Catcher is in Poulsbo for the winter.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #124
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Seeadler planning to leave by June 1 for Whittier and Prince William Sound. Need to be in Anchorage for a wedding on July 9. Hope to be home by October1.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #125
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Akprof,
Traditionally the commercial fishing fleet left right about the 15th of April. Almost guaranteed some nasty weather but won’t amount to many days layover. If I had a big agenda up north I’d leave April 15 or so.

HaHa but the last two times we left for Alaska we left on the 5th of July. Had other stuff on our plate.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #126
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Forgot to ask, with you destination given, where are you going to launch? Prince Rupert, or taking the ferry to Juneau (Hoonah)?
Asked as you will by pass me if these are you options over Prince Rupert.
Thanks, Perry,
Al
Old 10-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #127
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Akprof,
Traditionally the commercial fishing fleet left right about the 15th of April. Almost guaranteed some nasty weather but wont amount to many days layover. If I had a big agenda up north Id leave April 15 or so.
Good advice, as given by Joe Upton, et al, but domestic obligations may interfere.

I have made the trip from Seattle to Ketchikan in a 35' motorsailor in May, (in addition to a dozen or more trips in light aircraft) so it is not a completely novel experience, but I'm going to savor the experience this time

Counterintuitively, March and April are the driest months in Southeast, although that may not be true with the developing weather year.

I will get underway as early as I can get my excreta assembled, but experience suggests that will exceed the optimal schedule.

'prof
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #128
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
It's a better 4th in Wrangell. The fireworks are the best in the state.

Tom
You know why? Back about 1993 the fire department " who puts on the show" had a disaster and practically burned down the dock when the whole program went off at once. So the fire department " very embarrassed by the accident, went to school to learn how to do it right, and your right it is a hell of a show. One of the best I've seen.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #129
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UFISH2
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 38' PT Performance Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Forgot to ask, with you destination given, where are you going to launch? Prince Rupert, or taking the ferry to Juneau (Hoonah)?
Asked as you will by pass me if these are you options over Prince Rupert.
Thanks, Perry,
Al
AL, will be launching out of Prince Rupert. Ferry fees just too much. Would some day like to take the ferry to Hoonah and leave boat there but wifey loves to go to more destinations than SE Alaska. I do the majority of the maintenance work during the fall and winter so it all works out.
ufish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #130
Al
Guru

Quote:
AL, will be launching out of Prince Rupert. Ferry fees just too much. Would some day like to take the ferry to Hoonah and leave boat there but wifey loves to go to more destinations than SE Alaska. I do the majority of the maintenance work during the fall and winter so it all works out.