South Pacific Mayday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamoPirate

Veteran Member
As some may know I am aboard M/v Spirit of Ulysses, a Nordhavn 76 and we are taking her from Florida to Australia.

There has been a BOLO for a missing Row Boat that about 900 miles east of the Marquesses that departed from Panama. He set of his PLB device several days ago and many members of the Pacific Puddle Jumpers who are making the same run been working together to look for his.

Yesterday despite the fact our KVH satellite phone in the piliot house being turned off it rang ! It was Tahiti SAR or officially known as JRCC, JRCC Tahiti
Centre de coordination de sauvetage aéro-maritime en Polynésie française
Joint Rescue Coordination Center in French Polynesia

Here is the subsequent email exchange.

Subject: MAYDAY RELAY concerning Rowboat "SMILES"

Dear Sir
Radio-beacon PLB REPORTED IN POSITION S05°30.00 - W122°00.00 on the 31 of may from KAYAK "SMILES ROWBOAT" MMSI 338399051 - 1 personne on board
Our scenario (hypothese) is the kayak is on the way is around 1.5kts - proceeding to the west
We request you to join the position 06°20.00S -128°00.00W* and to have a sharp look out between longitude 122°00W and this position. You should pass* longitude 122°00W on the 09 jun 0600UTC and* reach position 06°20.00S -128°00.00W on the 11 jun 0100UTC
We would like to know how long can you be able to do a search after reaching this position ?
You will find a photo of the kayak
Best regards
JRCC Tahiti

M/V Spirit of Ulysses reply:

Hello, understood- will join at 5.30.00 S 122..00.000 W and proceed to position 6.20.000 S 128.00.000 W keeping sharp look out along the way.
We have 1000 gall extra fuel /that doesn’t include the fuel we need to reach Nuku Hiva and the reserve for that/. This 1000 gall extra fuel gives us a week /7 days with 7 to 7.5 kn boat speed. We can remain in the area for 7 days covering 1000 nautical miles.

Pic of the missing mariner as well as a marine trafic screen shot of the vessel’s involved in the search

Attachments

• rowboat smiles.jpeg
    rowboat smiles.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8111.jpg
    IMG_8111.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 98
Well, here's a new post that doesn't pop-up every day...... Very sobering. AIS plot looks like a mid-ocean traffic jam, though I realize it's really a handful of needles in a field of many haystacks.

I know you are obligated to assist, but I found the details on fuel remaining and your search duration capabilities very interesting. Clearly, willing to do as much as you can, not as little as you have to. I'm sure the rower's family and friend's are deeply appreciative

Peter

Mid ocean is an understatement !

2300nm from Ecuador and 1200nm from Nuka Hiva, the first land available.

As far as Obligated, there was never even a discussion about should we opt in.
For me personally it is one of the few things that make doing these long ocean passages mentally possible. Knowing you are out beyond air support your only hope is knowing that your fellow mariners will be there for you should it be your turn. It’s just an unwavering commitment I think most make well before they venture out into the vastness. I think it’s possible we do it for our own sanity as much as the missing soul. The odds are not great of finding him given his Signal has stopped transmitting.

There is a FB group that is following, check it out. Pic included, sorry don’t k oe how to link that.

Attachments

• IMG_8115.jpg
    IMG_8115.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Facebook page dedicated to the search for Aaron aboard Smiles

Attachments

• IMG_8113.jpg
    IMG_8113.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 75
Of course one does whatever one can to help in that situation. The law of the sea, good Karma and all that.

Maybe afterward we can have the discussion about people trying to set records considering the risk to themselves and anyone searching for them.

Seems every week I see a headline about someone setting out to be the oldest, youngest, smallest, fastest, farthest, whatever. It always gives me a little shudder. All I can think about is how likely it will become a situation like this.

The explorers of old took great personal risks to advance our knowledge of the world, and to seek fame and fortune. In today's click-bait culture, "likes" and "views" are the sought-after currency. Maybe it's the same thing.

The difference is, today they set off thinking they'll just mash the "SOS button if things go wrong, and someone else will risk their own life to come rescue the record-seeker.

Of course one does whatever one can to help in that situation. The law of the sea, good Karma and all that.

Maybe afterward we can have the discussion about people trying to set records considering the risk to themselves and anyone searching for them.

Seems every week I see a headline about someone setting out to be the oldest, youngest, smallest, fastest, farthest, whatever. It always gives me a little shudder. All I can think about is how likely it will become a situation like this.

The explorers of old took great personal risks to advance our knowledge of the world, and to seek fame and fortune. In today's click-bait culture, "likes" and "views" are the sought-after currency. Maybe it's the same thing.

The difference is, today they set off thinking they'll just mash the "SOS button if things go wrong, and someone else will risk their own life to come rescue the record-seeker.

We can have that discussion now if you like.

Maybe you think some silly record is a stupid reason to cross an ocean, perhaps you believe that rowing is the dumbest thing you have ever heard, some will say doing it for likes on social media is the devil.

But I ask anyone who leaves the dock. Why is your reason for going to sea any more justified or worthy then his ? Is the pursuit of your sea adventure really more important to human civilization than his ? What scale are you using to weigh your reason for being at sea against his ?

I believe those that set out to sea all do it for same reason, regardless if you were a Spanish explorer, a ocean racer, vacationing family's on character or the weekend yachtsman, hell even seniors on a cruise ship ! The sea calls us to adventure and we answer in our own way.

Stare off into the horizon and search your soul, Is one mariner really more justified for being out here ? I don’t think so even if i think rowing across the pacific is insanity. Then again so is taking a trawler 1/2 way around the world.
I am not worthy to judge.

As far as out of air support reach....

I remember a case where the USCG parachuted a team of SEALs to a sailboat where the skipper had blood poisoning from a fish hook. That was somewhere in mid pacific too. :thumb:

They gave him IV antibiotics and sailed the boat to the nearest hospital/air support landfall.

Not that safety is guaranteed anywhere, anytime..... but never give up hope if you are out there.

No I am not condoning the foolhardy... but honest attempts at adventure recreation even if dangerous are hard to weigh in on. Boating seems to be one of the least regulated for safety though.

Although I remember when the USCG finally had to intervene on some good ones. One was the two legally blind guys racing each other across the Atlantic. It was OK till the second or third failed start and had to be rescued every start. Then there was the guy inside a giant clear bubbles that moved by walking. All OK till the sun made it over-temp inside and the guy had but a few plastic bottle of water. To dream is one thing.... :facepalm:

Last edited:
My first thought was.. row a boat across the biggest stretch of the pacific solo.. what could go wrong! :eek:

I have sailed across that stretch of water myself and it is a big and lonely place. I do agree with the statements above that mentioned is his trip any less justified than mine was. But, It seems that the chances of success of a trip like that is a very low percentage vs failure. Really a tough call if they are deemed a fools errand or an amazing feat, I guess it depends if one makes it or not.

I really hope he is found

Hollywood

Camo, thanks for posting and I also admire you and your crews commitment to fellow mariners.

Two classmates I went to college with in the 80’s rowed across the Pacific about 7 years ago and I believe they were the oldest male tandem crew to do it. They both rowed crew in College and had the physical and mental capabilities to undertake the voyage. These long distance paddlers have my utmost respect.

You can't define lonely until your threading water at night in a shipping lane, watching the stern light disappear, and no one knows your there.

You can't define lonely until your threading water at night in a shipping lane, watching the stern light disappear, and no one knows your there.

I agree...I did it while the USCG was first testing IR detection devices and I was in Biscayne Bay south of Miami. Even though I knew people knew where I was and I trusted the pilot like no one else....when that helo was 1/2 hour late I felt pretty lonely. :eek:....:D

I also got to do the after search action interview with a National Guard jet pilot who had to eject off Cape Hatteras...he was in a 1 man life raft for 7 days till found. Survived by and said it was his favorite thing every day...licking the dew off the small raft canopy. He also said he was pretty lonely buy like all survivors...never gave up hope. :thumb:

Didn't Tom Hanks in Cast Away befriend a volleyball (Wilson) to have someone to talk to?

Last edited:
Well done for getting involved in the search.
Hopefully the fishing fleet is also looking as they have more resources. Friends of ours were buzzed by a helicopter off I assume a tuna boat thereabouts around a month ago. The helicopter came right down to near sea level to wave to them.
Same thing happened to another friend when we did that crossing in 2004, just bizarre that far from land.

Mid ocean is an understatement !

As far as Obligated, there was never even a discussion about should we opt in.
For me personally it is one of the few things that make doing these long ocean passages mentally possible. Knowing you are out beyond air support your only hope is knowing that your fellow mariners will be there for you should it be your turn. It’s just an unwavering commitment I think most make well before they venture out into the vastness. I think it’s possible we do it for our own sanity as much as the missing soul. The odds are not great of finding him given his Signal has stopped transmitting.

This is the ONLY attitude to have. Have yet to run into a blue water sailor or commercial seaman who hasn’t held to this attitude except on extremely rare occasion. However have experienced occasions where this basic brotherhood of the sea wasn’t shared in coastal settings. Was on an acquaintance’s boat where he turned down the VHF during a CG BOLO appeal. Gave him an earful and wasn’t invited back.

There’s a saying among blue water sailors. “If you haven’t brought it with you you don’t have it”. From the little posted he set off a pld not an epirb. Don’t know if he was in the water and th epirb on the boat or what but it’s of concern there’s only 24h of signal with a plb. Unless you’re in a rally or race AIS is of limited benefit if any if solo.

Ocean rowing has been commonly and safely done for some decades. Several times have been in English Harbor to greet the crews who have rowed across the Atlantic Ocean. Those vessels are similar in gross aspect to the vessel pictured but have mechanisms is protect from boarding seas, are capable and safe in the snot, sleeping accommodations, extensive dry storage and redundant safety equipment. That looks like an open boat except for storage at the ends. Had occasion to become a friend of Webb Chiles while we shared the same marina in Hilton Head. He took a Drascomb 19’ open yawl across the pacific. Read his book about it or chat him up. With sail and not being obligated to row it’s brutal. A open rowboat takes it to a whole other level. Webb is an amazing man but even he now agrees with his wife at that time. He didn’t realize the enormity of the task.

Having had the opportunity to examine the boats coming into English Harbor there’s an amazing amount of thought and tech that goes into them. Doing that activity isn’t foolhardy when properly prepared. Would like to know more about this gentleman’s boat and his prep. Unlike what one individual posted here at present you just don’t know. Maybe he was well prepped and had bad luck. Maybe not.

Like some here feel it’s unfortunate some place SAR personnel at risk with foolhardy behavior. Know of a case where a father and son needed repetitively rescue. Finally the authorities keep an eye on them and performed interdiction any time they left the harbor rather than having to execute another rescue. Think in circumstances of repetitive foolhardy behavior a fine or demand for payment for the rescue would not be inappropriate. However in this case there’s nothing to suggest this was foolhardy from available information.

Of interest many sailors use 200nm from nearest land as the working definition of blue water. No science nor logic to it I can think of beyond it being a likely distance a helicopter can fly out, briefly SAR and fly back. Don’t know if in the last 2-3years endurance has improved to the point the distance should be increased or the working definition dropped. Know emotionally if feels different when I know you are on your own. Prep, equipment selection, planning, crew and boat selection is different on multiple levels.

Last edited:
Pic of the missing mariner as well as a marine trafic screen shot of the vessel’s involved in the search

Ok what am I missing? The picture shows him close to shore yet he was a ways away from land. Did he need rescuing and that picture was taken when he was safe? It appears as though he is ok. Did he require being towed in?

Was he ever in any danger?

Chris

Anyone know more about the circumstances? Weather conditions at the time? Was the dory equipped with a life raft? Obviously he had a PLB. EPIRB too? And does it matter in this situation whether it's an EPIRB or PLB?

While I'm glad he had an EPIRB (I would have several), it seems to me a satellite tracker (such as an Inreach) would have been maybe more useful. A very small solar panel and battery to continuously provide power, could provide 10 minute updates to location, not to mention the ability to provide satellite text messaging. Wouldn't go solo without mine.

Ted

Ok what am I missing? The picture shows him close to shore yet he was a ways away from land.
Chris

Those distances are our current location.

You are missing the fact we do not have a current picture of him as he is lost at sea. I have no clue the origins of the picture as it is just the photo JRCC sent us. Perhaps it was provided to them from friends or family, i have no way to know. The point of the picture was to identify the boat not indicate his location.

While I'm glad he had an EPIRB (I would have several), it seems to me a satellite tracker (such as an Inreach) would have been maybe more useful. A very small solar panel and battery to continuously provide power, could provide 10 minute updates to location, not to mention the ability to provide satellite text messaging. Wouldn't go solo without mine.

Ted

He has plenty of electric gizmos including star link and solar but suffered a catastrophic failure of some type rendering the equipment non operational.
I am not privy to any communications he may have had prior that give me any ideas as to the nature of the failure. I just know a mayday was issued and we responded. Hopefully he is found and we can hear the story.

He has plenty of electric gizmos including star link and solar but suffered a catastrophic failure of some type rendering the equipment non operational.
I am not privy to any communications he may have had prior that give me any ideas as to the nature of the failure. I just know a mayday was issued and we responded. Hopefully he is found and we can hear the story.

I wouldn't assume Starlink works at all in those waters. My recent cruise in South Pacific Ocean waters, mostly no further from shore than those revealed an almost total lack of Starlink performance when further than a few hundred miles from shore. When Starlink gets to its full complement of laser linked sattelites it may be reliable offshore, but now, with only 10% deployment and most of those dependent upon shore stations for linkage, the likelihood of it being any help in his present location is slim or none.

I also applaud the OP's unequivocal support of the JRCC request to join the search, and hope it ends well.

I wouldn't assume Starlink works at all in those waters. My recent cruise in South Pacific Ocean waters, mostly no further from shore than those revealed an almost total lack of Starlink performance when further than a few hundred miles from shore. When Starlink gets to its full complement of laser linked sattelites it may be reliable offshore, but now, with only 10% deployment and most of those dependent upon shore stations for linkage, the likelihood of it being any help in his present location is slim or none.

I also applaud the OP's unequivocal support of the JRCC request to join the search, and hope it ends well.

Fair enough but I am not assuming starlink works out in the South Pacific, i am currently out in the south pacific 2451nm from Ecuador using starlink to post this message. We have had a solid connection all the way from panama to our current location at
5° 26' 52" S
121° 2' 17" W

Attachments

• IMG_8128.jpg
    IMG_8128.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 55
May be the difference between the different dishes and even just a couple weeks when Starlink launches 100 satellites in one week sometimes.

May be the difference between the different dishes and even just a couple weeks when Starlink launches 100 satellites in one week sometimes.

Certainly Could be, i don’t recall the exact date they turned on the South Pacific but it was in the first quarter of this year and we were in Florida at the time. I do know the date they turned on ocean service for the north pacific because we were going from Seattle WA to Hawaii and on Nov 1st we were 400nm offshore when service began and worked great all the way to Hawaii.

Epirb 48h
PLD 24h
In our thinking in the past the epirb is mounted so it can float away but it’s the first thing placed in ditch bag. Now our thinking is leave it in the ditch bag. Ditchbag is always fully stocked with everything inside expiration dates. But next to it is two VHFs in a charger would would be the only thing to drop in.
Each of our PfD have a PLB attached. Our thinking has been to set off the epirb first. Than the PLBs sequentially. That would give us 6 days of signal. Really 8 days as last 2 days would go on an hour then off for a hour. Reality from what I understand is the vast majority of successful rescues occur within the first day. But think the majority are within helicopter range or in ships channels. Cruisers maybe outside both. Hence the concern about duration of signal.
Totally agree some form of fully charged hand held communication device should be placed in the ditchbag. My preference would be for it to include voice even if you had ship based Starlink, KVH or other satellite on the boat. See a handheld Satphone and a separate breadcrumb, text, monitored for emergency device a good cost effective redundant pair.

@hippocampus we have similar thoughts and setups.

As for the person we seek we can only hope his handheld vhf has enough charge left that he can contact any vessel he may see. The reality is we will need to pass very close for us to spot him in a white row boat. The odds are demoralizing so we try not to dwell on them and just remain vigilant.

I think there is a difference between a PLB and EPIRB in this situation: the battery life of eht EPRIB is 2 or 2x, it would continue to report your position much longer. Important when the searchers are not airborne.

I would also consider Starlink to be an absolutely useless piece of survival gear for a host or reasons. An EPRIB or an Inreach would be the best.

I can't answer for DDW but I can give you my thoughts.

In short Starlink is not a marine hardened, dedicated, independently powered and portable device that communicates directly with search and rescue. You need those attributes if your boat is compromised and or if you must abandon ship.

I carry both EPIRB and inReach. They are both excellent and have differing strengths and weaknesses so I carry both. I may soon install Starlink but it will not in it's present state of development replace EPIRB and inReach.

EPIRB/PLB are one way comms only. inReach is two way capable but it's cumbersome to use. Starlink offers superior two way comms. As long as you can keep the system up and running and stay aboard the boat.

EPIRB and PLB immediately trigger a search and rescue response the moment they are activated. Usually a single switch. No further action required by the user who can now focus on his/her survival. This could be critical in a fire or severe flooding where you haven't got the time to respond. Units with GPS, most are nowadays, continuously broadcast accurate position. With recent advancements some now broadcast position using AIS making the searcher's job easier and faster.

inReach requires a bit more action on the part of the user. Operate the SOS switch, then you have to confirm the emergency with the Garmin response center. A bit more overhead for the user but two way comms. An example where that comes in handy is medical where you are able to describe the condition not just ask for rescue.

With EPIRB/PLB or inReach you have a hardened device that will survive rough treatment including dousing in salt water. They have internal power supplies independent of the boat. EPIRB/PLB or inReach will communicate directly with search and rescue agencies.

As far as I know current Starlink at this time does not have dedicated search and rescue communications. Other considerations are the Starlink antenna is not marine hardened, requires an additional device to use and requires external power and is not portable. Here is a pretty good write up on using Starlink in an emergency. Written for off road use but most of the criticism applies to marine use as well. Why Starlink isn’t an emergency response system for vehicle-based overlanders, offroaders and outdoors people

It is worth looking into the limitations of coverage for all of the above systems depending upon where in the world you cruise. None are perfect.
Care to share your reasoning with us ?

I think there is a difference between a PLB and EPIRB in this situation: the battery life of eht EPRIB is 2 or 2x, it would continue to report your position much longer. Important when the searchers are not airborne.

I would also consider Starlink to be an absolutely useless piece of survival gear for a host or reasons. An EPRIB or an Inreach would be the best.

Excellent post PB and congruent to my thinking. Still a fan of a handheld Satphone as well. Billing plans are usually onerous for data but not bad for voice. Even with a fleet one also had a handheld. Although used for personal and business reasons when cruising and not on the boat it was reassuring that it was available for the ditchbag. When starting a passage would preprogram the phone numbers of all the SAR units anywhere near our path. For us that meant several along the US east coast, Bermuda, PR and several of the eastern Caribbean islands. Also carried an Inreach, epirb and multiple PLDs.
Most of our passages were outside shipping channels and territorial waters. It’s the leg from south of Bermuda to/from the Windwards that was my chief concern as regards getting outside help. Very rare to see a ship or even a cruise ship until you get close to land. But could pick up an occasional vessel on AIS. Think that’s an advantage to having AIS on a boat in an emergency but it’s otherwise unhelpful. Don’t think Starlink will ever be portable to a degree you can take into a raft and get it to work. So given fire and sinking are major concerns there will always be a place for portable devices. In the OP the individual was in a rowboat. Think Starlink totally impractical in that setting. Need portable devices with non directional antennas. Think epirb is best in such settings and rafts. You must pick your poison and it’s always a trade off to some degree. In a rowboat weight is the enemy. Space a limitation. Same for ultralights, small boats and ditch bags for rafts. Although Starlink was helpful in a recent rescue still think the greater the diversity of comms increases your odds and it should be tempered by the practicalities of your vessel and possibility of abandoning ship.
Now we are always within helicopter range. For us PLDs and AIS on PFDs plus 2 handheld VHFs and the existing ships comms suffices. If I hit the lottery a Northern Marine is in my future. Then would have the additional comms as outlined above and Starlink as a supplement. Still a fan of SSB but realize the routine monitoring of SSB for rescue has been dropped. For decades always had at least one reliable person monitor our passages. Contact them and they reliably organize contacting all available rescue sources beyond the automatic integral notification of the devices. Belt and suspenders.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom