SOS light versus flares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Having lighted dozens and dozens of the USCG required flares on recreational boats, most expired, some not, I became aware that if you want three of them that will work, yu had better have six. The dripping slag on those things is not compatible with anything inflatable. So I was happy to relieve myself of their presence on my boat when the SOS light became a legal alternate. Today I performed a routine test of my "Weems and Plath" SOS light only to find the brass spring at the bottom of the tube containing 3 Coppertop C batteries had its contact point with the brass strip running the tube's length corroded. The batteries were all reading 1.7 Volts with an expiration date far in the future, but all brass parts were black, not showing any lumpy corrosion except at the one cited connection between spring and strip. Weems and Plath website does not show this light as a product. Ordered a "Sirius" SOS light on Amazon, and it arrived with all parts identical to the "Weems and Plath" junk. I sprayed corrosion block into the bore of the battery compartment and put the batteries in, but this item will be frequently inspected for integrity and performance.

I got one as soon as they became available. Where I live getting real flares is a big PITA. Now I don't have to worry about getting caught with expired flares (although I still carry the ones I have).

The operation of the light gets checked regularly. Since my boat is not stored in a salty environment, the light still looks new (inside and out).

Might not be USCG legal but the free app Flashlight O for your cell phone might be handy to have. It transmits SOS light signal and sound.

I got one as soon as they became available. Where I live getting real flares is a big PITA. Now I don't have to worry about getting caught with expired flares (although I still carry the ones I have).

The operation of the light gets checked regularly. Since my boat is not stored in a salty environment, the light still looks new (inside and out).

My light was kept in a waterproof container and also looked like new, but the brass internal to the unit had turned black, probably from battery off gassing despite their voltage being well up. I am just saying that spraying some corrosion control juice in a new unit is probably called for considering the flimsy construction of the brass parts.

The main personal issue I have with the lights (other than them not working) is that people don't know what they are seeing (if they can see them). Flares of any kind seem to be instantly recognizable by everyone, even non-boaters. In addition the lights are at water or boat level, thus not able to be seen from any distance. A flare can be seen for a greater distance. Even an expired flare that fires is more visible than a flashing light that most people will not recognize as flashing SOS. I will stick with my plastic ammo can full of expired flares as a back up to the current ones.

Before we retired from the CG Auxiliary our boat was a facility. And the CG required that we dispose of any pyrotechnics that were over 5 years out of date. This was because they had found that they become unstable and some had injured people when they tried to use the really old pyrotechnics. I keep some expired ones on the boat but not over 5 years expired just in case. We also have ones that are current and have the electronic flare also.

I have found that batteries have gone to crap over the past several years. I have had countless devices ruined due to leaking batteries. Duracell's used to be very good, had a no-leak guarantee, and actually didn't leak. Eveready not so much. But recently I have had both brands leak out.

If Duracell still has a guarantee, I think it's time to start holding them to it. They used to say they would replace any equipment damaged by a leaking battery.

Flares are not only for SOS , they can be used for vessel identification. HERE I AM!

The concept " And the CG required that we dispose of any pyrotechnics that were over 5 years out of date." might be valid with tiny 12Ga flares , but we have shot 1950 era parachute white shots and had very few that did not ignite.

The purpose of the flare is to be seen and the big parachute ones stay aloft for 30 seconds or more.

Offshore where the big boys have questionable deck watches , a 30 second white floating down is hard to miss.

There are now 2 manufacturers of this emergency light. I have one of each on different boats. IMO, they're about as relevant as a buggy whip for a car. It would be the absolute last thing I would choose to use in an emergency. Have numerous radios, phone, EPIRB, PLB, search light (that's 10 times brighter), and an air horn run off a scuba tank. I have the light to meet the USCG requirement.

Ted

Last edited:
IMO, flares are better but, disposing of the outdated flares can be next to impossible. The fire department used to accept them but, not anymore.

I have one but have never tested it. It is a few years old, I suppose I should look into it.

I keep my old flares on the boat but some are breaking apart and the rest are probably non functional.

pete

I like the new electric (flare). Battery due diligence is required and I keep it in an orange waterproof box. I have enough expired flares to choke a horse and no way to get rid of them. (That's another thread post of it's own).

The deficiencies of both methods are quite clear. Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances. Neither is worth spit in daylight which is why I keep a smoke flare onboard rather than depend of that silly distress flag.

Last edited:
The main personal issue I have with the lights (other than them not working) is that people don't know what they are seeing (if they can see them). Flares of any kind seem to be instantly recognizable by everyone, even non-boaters. In addition the lights are at water or boat level, thus not able to be seen from any distance. A flare can be seen for a greater distance. Even an expired flare that fires is more visible than a flashing light that most people will not recognize as flashing SOS. I will stick with my plastic ammo can full of expired flares as a back up to the current ones.

Good point. I read a report somewhere of a test of the electronic lights.

If the background is dark, you can see the light. If you have a lot of background light pollution, it is hard to distinguish between the electronic light and the background light.

I will stick with the flares.

I have one of the electronic flares and need to check it for corrosion and make sure it works. I also have probably 20-25 expired flares that I keep on board. I'll fire them off first in an emergency.

When I left the USAF Uncle Sam gave me two going away presents. One is a million candlepower parachute flare, the other a smoke grenade. I'm not sure he knew of the gifts but, what the heck, he's never asked for them back.

By way of a bit of information, if any of you want to get rid of your expired flares schedule a "Flare Demo Day". Advertise it and make it open to the general public. Get the blessing of the USCG (yes, there's a form for that), let your local emergency dispatch center know and ask to have an ambulance stand by.

I run one of those for our yacht club about every 4 years. We usually have about 50 people show up (not including club members) and fire off about 250 or so flares of all shapes and sizes. It gives people a chance to see how some of the guns and "pull cord" flares work.

Flare day is extra good if you can coordinate the local fire department (all authorities like that for the flare only day too) and do a fire fighting demo and using up old fire extinguishers. Most people have never shot off one of those either.

2 birds with one demo day.... :)

Long time ago I was headed out the Panama City pass on a sunny day in my GB42 to watch some hydroplane race. The pass was extra busy that day with boats going every which way. I did not see it until I was nearly on top of it, but looking down from my flying bridge I saw an open powerboat maybe 12 feet long bobbing like mad in the wakes with several persons aboard one of whom was waving a burning flare madly about from the bow. That's why I carry orange SOLAS smoke for daylight. If the person had been waving the small SOS flag you get with the SOS light, I doubt he'd have gotten any more attention than the useless flare. Waving arms across over your head is always an attention getter. Firing a gun at even intervals is another authorized signal, but around here that would probably just generate mistaken return fire.

Last edited:
In Canada we still can't use the electronic flare "legally" so it can't be deemed to replace anything. All the types of flares have limited use, just ask the Titanic survivors. I think, in a panic and serious emergency conditions, DSC and Garmin and Spot communications is the most effective since its use implies something serious and your location is pin pointed.

I always assume the flares are to guide the helicopter in or the rescue boat in once they can be heard or seen. Firing off flares in the Broughtons probably aren't going to do you much good in many many locations.

"IMO, flares are better but, disposing of the outdated flares can be next to impossible. The fire department used to accept them but, not anymore."

In Long Island Sound we simply anchor in front of the USCG station and inform them we will be having a flare drill for the next 30 min.

Then fire off the old units.

The trick is to TELL them , not ask them for "permission".

Rich's point about a daytime smoke flare is a good one

Guy was showing me his Ocean Signal version of one of these a few months ago. Nice looking unit. This thread inspired me to look it up. 5 year warranty, ditto the lithium battery.

https://oceansignal.com/products/edf1/#specifications

$122 at Defender, I think I will get one.

I don't see on the web site where it says anything about being USCG approved.

There's a Q&A about this on the Amazon listing (where it's $106):

Question: Is thus Coast Guard approved as a replacement for pyro flares?
Answer: NO. From the OceanSignal.com website...Operating Instructions document, "Warnings" section: "The EDF1 is not a substitute for pyrotechnic flares required under mandatory carriage regulations." Further, Ocean Signal does not provide Manufacturer certification of compliance with 46 CFR Part 161, Subpart 161.013 - Electric Distress Light for Boats. If they limited some of the functionality of this light...removing the constant on modes, increasing battery life a touch, etc. this light could probably meet the requirements for Night Visual Distress Signal for Boats...but as is, it does not.

In other words, it isn't a legal substitute for CG-approved flares (or electronic signaling devices) in the US. That doesn't mean you can't keep one aboard to supplement the legal ones.

I would not rely solely on a light. Flares are well understood by everyone. There are so many flashing lights today that none will be as attention getting as a flare or smoke.
The benefit of light is that it will work a long time while flares are short duration and smoke requires someone to hold then instead of doing other emergency things.

So IMO each has it place.

Last edited:
Jump in the wawa sometime with your chemical flare in hand on a slightly sporty day and pull that friction pad end off your flare and try to light it. It can be a revealing (or not so) experience.

I would not rely solely on a light. Flares are well understood by everyone. There are so many flashing lights today that none will be as attention getting as a flare or smoke.
The benefit of light is that it will work a long time while flares are short duration and smoke requires someone to hold then instead of doing other emergency things.

So IMO each has it place.

Way offshore, I'd take the strobe light every time.

I was flying with a Coast Guard Helicopter back in 2003 in the Bahamas. Everyone's wearing night vision, and all of a sudden we see a flashing strobe light in our NVGs. We start heading toward it and I hit my GPS MOB. When we got to it, it was sailboat at anchor, with a strobe on at top of his mast.

He was fine, but when I looked at the GPS, it showed we had spotted it 20 miles away.

I'll never buy another flare. Dangerous cheap crap. Do Not attempt to use an expired flare, they are grenades. I was teaching my wife how to use a flare gun and when she pulled the trigger it ignited but did not leave the gun. I batted it out of her hand and watched it burn down about 30' before it went out. If we had not been on a dock it could have ended very badly.

Of the 6 in the kit, three were duds and they had lived in the wheelhouse in a special box since new.

If I were forced, I would only ever get a metal flare gun.

There is a reference to the legality of lights in the US somewhere, they are; I'll let someone else look it up. I have 2 and would rather pay a fine in Canada than put that flare crap on my boat.

Thanks Tom for clarifying that for everyone, and I certainly had no intention to replace certified equipment with one of those. I'm a belt and suspenders type anyway.

Thanks Tom for clarifying that for everyone, and I certainly had no intention to replace certified equipment with one of those. I'm a belt and suspenders type anyway.

Right. I was just posting so everyone knew what they were getting.

BTW, the Sirius electronic flare (meets US carriage requirements for recreational boats) is $89 on Amazon.

That's the one (or similar, if available) I'm buying when my current batch of flares expire. I'll be keeping my expired flares, smokes and dye, some of which are SOLAS grade. Once you've seen both these and the recreational-grade flares go off, you'll never buy the cheap ones again.

As for usability, I've shot off a lot of expired flares, and they almost always work as well as new ones. Some are dimmer, and one shell went off-course once. But I can certainly understand anyone who has had a bad experience with one not wanting to keep them aboard.

The reason that the SOS Light is not currently on the Weems & Plath site is the inventor and Weems are having a distribution dispute. The Sirius light and the Weems light are the same thing. However, you may want to contact Weems to explain the battery corrosion issue. They are very good about replacing things (well, if they have any in stock right now).

And while there will be an everlasting debate on electronic versus pyrotechnic flares, we carry both. Although the pyro flares are now expired, the SOS light keeps us legal.

As to the batteries, we always recommend changing them out every year at the same time all the smoke detector batteries are changed. That way we always have "fresh" batteries in the device, and the chance of battery leakage is greatly minimized.

Lithium batteries are a little more expensive than alkaline, but they won't leak. I would want to test the run time with them, but that may be a viable option for people that are worried about battery leakage ruining your devices

Possible problem with expired flares. IMG_6117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom