Some people just shouldn’t own a boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn’t know there was a code of ethics extended to insurance companies. It was my understanding that they are some of the coldest heartless statistical entities ever created. Seems to me they have the weather channel too, so, can’t be butt hurt that someone would seek their services before a possibility of needing them. I’m doing the same thing for boat tow insurance right now. Would I have signed up last month? No, I didn’t even own a boat a month ago.

All of us boating in areas without hurricanes, are thankful.

Agreed!

Worth paying a bit more ins cost to assist those in hurricane regions... while being pretty darn sure our boats will not be afflicted by same type climate disorder.

Agreed!

Worth paying a bit more ins cost to assist those in hurricane regions... while being pretty darn sure our boats will not be afflicted by same type climate disorder.

Wifey B: Yours are afflicted by a full time climate disorder. It's cold there. No bikini weather. No tropical paradise. :rofl:

Wifey B: Yours are afflicted by a full time climate disorder. It's cold there. No bikini weather. No tropical paradise. :rofl:

That's why things often get real COZY here!!

"When the weather's hot n' sticky... that's no time to dunk your dzxyie

When the frost is on the pumpkin... that's the time for dzxyie dunken ! :dance:

They keep things exciting, that’s for sure. But, we’re used to them (or as used as you can ever get to them). :D

It’s worth it for ten months of great boating weather ( and two months of so-so boating weather).

"I didn’t know there was a code of ethics extended to insurance companies. It was my understanding that they are some of the coldest heartless statistical entities ever created."

Yet Medicare and the like have a higher percentage of denied clams than private insurers.

"Insurance companies should require people to have a written plan before hurricane season starts and then execute that plan."

Probably would not like to see the "plan" tho.

After Hurricane Bob it looked like heavy 1 1/2 inch lines to moorings were replaced with 1/2 or 5/8 lines , to "sell the boat to the insurance co".

"Insurance companies should require people to have a written plan before hurricane season starts and then execute that plan."
My insurance company requires a written plan with gps coordinates and tie off diagrams once in said hurricane hole

Markel

Marine insurance is so terrible. I have been waiting for some company to realize they can make a killing by selling insurance at lower rates to responsible boat owners. Marine insurance does not seem to have even a basic interest in evaluating risk. That seems insane to me when you sell insurance.

What? Where does this thought process come from?

Tell me, how does an insurer identify "responsible boat owners"? Is a "responsible boat owner" who has a claim due to a sudden, direct, accidental physical loss to the boat (the situation that insurance is designed for) not in the category of non-responsible?

We evaluate risk 24/7, and I think we do a pretty good job at it, especially given the volume of policies we have on the books. We have to ascertain and plan for not just the true claims, but the unforeseen claims such as storm events, as well as plan for fraudulent claims (yes, they do happen).

The shared risking pool that insurance is does keep costs down, despite rumors to the contrary. If one chooses to live in a CAT zone, part of that choice is the higher insurance costs based on the frequency and severity of storm events. Conversely, lower insurance premiums are realized in areas not subject to storm events, such as the Northeast or Northwest.

Peter I think we spoke in the past about insurance. Do you know of anyone reasonable that would write a policy on a SeaFlex'ed boat (FRP over Wood)?

My insurance company requires a written plan with gps coordinates and tie off diagrams once in said hurricane hole

This is required by most reputable marine insurance companies-

• Markel
  • Travelers (when they offered coverage in hurricane zones)
  • ACE/Chubb
  • GEICO Marine
  • New Hampshire
  • One Beacon/IMU
  • AIG
  • Lloyds (various syndicates)

and many more. At a minimum, written plans that must be approved by underwriting pre bind are required. If an absentee owner, additional requirements apply.

Peter I think we spoke in the past about insurance. Do you know of anyone reasonable that would write a policy on a SeaFlex'ed boat (FRP over Wood)?

Unless the boat is of cold molded construction, or the glass over wood is original to the vessel construction, I don't know of any markets that will write the vessel.

The problem is that wood vessels were hauled, and fiberglass was laid over the wood as a solution to the inevitable degradation of the wood- only, the FG created an environment that hastened the demise of the wood structure. Further, the glass overlay keeps the vessel from having the fasteners and planking inspected and repaired/replaced as needed.

This wasn’t even a named storm of any type...just your typical spring time thunderstorms.

Apparently, the I surname did NOT pay as he made a reference to giving up on that. He’s got a total of 4 citations and his latest on the subject is he’s accusing someone of sabotaging his boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom