Some more help from the Detroit fan club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Having a heck of a time trying to figure out what year 453 my baby has in her,I looked high and low and my guess is 1968-69 that's my engine plate,any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20210311_171845.jpg
    20210311_171845.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 17
1969-1970 according to a chart at Depco. 4D 059773

Having a heck of a time trying to figure out what year 453 my baby has in her,I looked high and low and my guess is 1968-69 that's my engine plate,any help would be greatly appreciated

How about that! Ski narrowed it down for you.. The power of the forum people..

There should be a serial number on a flat space at the top of the block, just below the head. Either the right front or left rear. Engine model and serial numbers should be stamped into the block in addition to the plate you have.
By the serial number guide you can figure the year of the block. The numbers on the right of the plate are how the block is configured. Somewhere I have a list of the numbers, but can't find it. The Detroit people and tell you.

Attachments

• DETROIT-Model-Serial-number.pdf
    564 KB · Views: 8
  • New Detroit-Diesel-Engine-Serial-Numbers.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm more familiar with the 92 series but I have the 53 series service manual. I'll try to upload it but it's 140Mg file so not sure it'll go through. You can also lookup the "DetroitGarage" channel on youtube. He just rebuilt a 3-53 which is the same as your engine less 1 cylinder. He's pretty good and lots of good info.

So I tried to upload the 53 series service manual but the file is too large for the forum. Even in the Library section. Let me know if you want it and I can put it on Dropbox or Onedrive. Otherwise, you can subscribe the the Detroit Diesel groups on facebook and find it in the file section of the group. Just do a search on Detroit Diesel. They're easy to find...

Back
Top Bottom