Some advice in the Construction business please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Hello, I am in the Marine construction business now, I have a barge and excavator and do mainly residential Boat houses and bulkheads. I would like to purchase a dredge and get into the commercial dredging work, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Paul

Find the niche that the other dredge companies don't want to service. Many small projects around that not worthy of bigger equipment overhead operations. Insurance and bonding costs matter. Marina, private slips and shipyards frequently need maintenance dredging. Excavators are accurate up against bulkheads and structures. A good estimator can make or break you until you have the experience. Start small. The good news is that theres a lot of equipment available for stupid short money now, especially on the Gulf coast. The bad news is , theres a reason for that equipment being available... Start small!

Dredging is a natural offshoot of your existing dockbuilding business. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you Sailor, I’m always looking for something to branch off into, right now there is a company dredging sand and dumping it on the beach. There has to be some good money in it.

Back
Top Bottom