Old 12-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
PSN makes a good point....but I have such a hard time willingly starting a fire on a boat. I don't even allow candles in my home. I know that it is a manageable risk, and I am totally illogical about it.... I just couldn't do it.
I guess I am a scaredy cat for I do not allow an open flame except to light my cigars. No extra magnets in the pilot house either.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Yep, scaredy cats...understand and practice risk management and all kinds of things in life become manageable.

While I wouldn't suggest a wood burner for a small boat as a full time heat source for a variety of reasons, danger isn't even slightly on the radar as a reason.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #23

City: La Conner
Dickinson oil stove, Webasto, and a fireplace. Run coils through the oven and Webasto. We are toasty
Bigsalmonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:30 AM   #24

City: Glasgow
It's going into a steel boat, and in all honesty, CO2 poisoning concerns me more than fire.

The wood /coal burner is not the prime source of heating , but it is nice to make the most of it when it does get used.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Paul Luke used to make delightful wall mounted fire places out of soapstone

They would warm a modest cabin easily.

Shipmate made far less expensive units in SS , but at least they still had a mica window to watch the fire , cozy.

As emergency heat , or just for a cool (or romantic) evening mounting it at the foot of the double bed worked great.

For all night heat a feeding of charcoal left no mess on the deck as coal might.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paul...w=1366&bih=654
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #26

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Manny, are you putting that stove on a narrowboat? From what I know that is very common there.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #27

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
We had a wood/charcoal heater on Shalimar, our 42 foot ketch. It worked well and it had super ambiance. The issues were disposal of ash, on board storage of wood and charcoal, and we did have a few incidents where the charcoal got wet. What a mess. It dissolves into a black soppy powder. If it were I, I think diesel is a better answer.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #28
BCK

City: Sunshine Coast
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: CHB 34'
Hi Manny, We're on the BC coast in Canada and have a 34' CHB which has a diesel Espar furnace which is great. We also have a small Dickinson solid fuel stove in main salon on bulkhead to port above settee. Around here, we also heat our home with wood, so when collecting firewood, there's always a good supply of small dia. branches that I cut into 4" lengths. The fireplace gives a nice DRY heat...same as in our home. I squirrel the firewood away on boat, but admittedly does take up room and you do need to tend to the stove fairly frequently. I do like it though. For you in Scotland, maybe firewood is less plentiful? I have no experience with coal, don't even know where you'd get that here, but maybe a preferred solid fuel over there? What type of boat do you have?
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 AM   #29

City: Glasgow
We have a Dutch steel, ex fishing trawler conversion, wee bit bigger than your average narrowboat
On the west coast of Scotland, fire wood is plentiful, as is coal and peat.

I have a reflex diesel heater that is big enough to heat a cabin, but like the idea of a wood stove with back boiler to heat radiators, water and the engine.

The wood stove will not be the only source of heat, we will use the engine ( Gardner 8l3b) and a diesel fired boiler.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"but like the idea of a wood stove with back boiler to heat radiators, water and the engine."

Depending on how its constructed be sure you can operate the wood stove with NO water in the heating system.

An added tank on the top or side is usually no problem , but internal tubing in the fire can be a hassle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #31
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
If these were available to me without exorbitant cost. They are for UK/EU members.

https://refleks-olieovne.dk/en/

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #32
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
All the pellet stoves I know of need forced air to burn. ..
Thread drift...

I'd go for one of these (in our house) but my wife thinks it looks ugly. I think it looks beautifully efficient and purpose built, and it can hold two bags of pellets in the hopper at the back:

Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Thread drift...

I'd go for one of these (in our house) but my wife thinks it looks ugly. I think it looks beautifully efficient and purpose built, and it can hold two bags of pellets in the hopper at the back:

Women and men see beauty totally different. I agree with you. Nice unit.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote