Sold My Selene & Need Another One, or Nordhavn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
I sold my Selene 53 a couple of years ago and am in the market for a new to me boat of equal or better quality. Size does matter, and prefer something in the 60'+ range. I'm not opposed to Nordhavn either, but have thought about the many steel boats of the same pilot house design. Anybody interested in selling can reach me at jsbraga@aol.com. I invite dealers, brokers, etc. to participate in bringing me some ideas.

Where do you think Selene ranks in quality? What about your Selene sends you to look for better quality?

Nordhavn is listing a very low hour year 2020 N63 named Ursa.

For the same form factor (they look similar) and meeting your standard of similar or higher quality, there is the Fleming 55 or 58 but none really around used except the Fleming 55 that was rebuilt after a hurricane.

Last edited:
I may have stated it incorrectly if your led to believe I think the Selene is lesser in quality than any of the high end boats. I meant more to say the Nordhavn is something I have not had and may be envious to own one. Selene builds an excellent boat and it is less industrial than the Nordhavn appears to be. Different strokes for different folks. Their are several boats that fall short of these 2 brands including Grand Alaskan, Outer Reef, etc. These by no means are poorly built vessels, but just a little less than the two I mentioned.

Thank you, I have seen it already and discounted the idea. That vessel has a tendency to roll from what I have heard. However I don't have any experience of my own with it.

Fleming has done a great job in keeping the image of their vessels up there. Much like Marlow has. I wouldn't mind owning either of them.

Ursa is magnificent in all ways except as I had mentioned. Maybe I should seriously consider it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Ursa is magnificent in all ways except as I had mentioned. Maybe I should seriously consider it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I saw a YouTube for sale ad on it over half a year ago? Could that be?
I wasn’t impressed with the N63 salon as it felt like a cramped layout to me though it really should have the space. I admit I haven’t seen these in person and also that’s my personal preference not necessarily others. Also I don’t want to carry my tender on the bow as that makes lowering and boarding the tender seem much more complicated. I’d rather your Selene or the Fleming. The Nordhavn 69 looks great inside, but it’s a much bigger boat.

Thank you, I have seen it already and discounted the idea. That vessel has a tendency to roll from what I have heard. However I don't have any experience of my own with it.

Roll? Doesn't sound right. I had a 60 which is the same hull but a forward pilot house rather than an aft pilot house. Roll wasn't an issue at all. Stabilizers of course, but no appreciable roll with them on. I certainly wouldn't say the boat is prone to roll.

63 Roll

Is it the same hull? I just plain don't know, it's just something I've heard in the sewing circle.

Is it the same hull? I just plain don't know, it's just something I've heard in the sewing circle.

Yes, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they come out of the same mold.

Does Ursa have gyros rather than fins? At least one 63 was built with gyros, and later had fins added.

Pretty sure URSA has abt stabilizers with STAR

Sewing circles and dock talk aside, visit a S60 and then an N63. Very different boats in regards to design, machinery space and factory support. The differences are clear as is the intended mission. Both have TF owners, reach out to them for details. A great start is twisted tree as he's already chimed in.

Does Ursa have gyros rather than fins? At least one 63 was built with gyros, and later had fins added.

I believe I viewed that N63 at the Annapolis Boat Show a few years ago. The broker stated that the twin gyros were ineffective so the fins were added. I recall that they were located in the lazarette, which is not the ideal location to be most effective, being that the CoG is further forward.

The other thing I remember is that it had a pretty Vespa scooter up on the foredeck :)

OK, Ursa is NOT the 63 with gyros. The boat with gyros was on the east cost (may have moved) and had a blue hull.

It seems to be more difficult for us, the novice, to find out just what are the best boats, brand etc. I know it can be subjective but somewhat easier when comparing cars. I personally don't want a daily driver, but something that is substantial like a G Wagon. We just had one totaled on FL 91 upon leaving the boat we had under contract, Queen B, the 64 Grand Alaskan in Stuart. I think it saved our lives. Regarding the 64 Grand Alaskan, I still like a lot about that boat, like the long term ownership and long term fresh water use, the crispness, and I found out a lot about Grand Alaskan. I even found the original owner, and the original salesmen, including Gary Oviatt who had them built. And I found that in certain circles they were not highly regarded, but also that some of them where much better than other ones. We chose not to buy it after a survey and sea trial. It was extremely loud and it had what I would consider to be an odd vibration on the fly bridge starting at about 1600 up to 92%. But what a pretty boat and nice layout. That brings me to your comment on Outer Reef. They came from Grand Alaskan, but according to OR got it right and they say they build a superior boat. I looks like a great boat. Then when you talk to Hampton, theirs is even better. They use 5 to 7 layer whereas the others use 3 or 4. And so forth. I've heard people talk of Marlow and the problems with them, the vibrations, the flex, the this the that. The Flemings with leaks and rot in the foredeck, etc. Bottom line, I wish there was a SUBJECTIVE review of this class of boats. I do know this, they all have gone up exponentially, and it will be interesting to see just what rising rates, war, and who knows what will do to all markets. I stupidly did not by the 53 Salene with the powder blue hull because of what China did, convinced I would buy a US boat. What US boat? Hatteras? Sabre? I probably should have purchase the Salene that was in my back yard in Hilton Head but did not. Not only is it much more expensive, it was a good boat.

Back to Outer Reef. I have been focusing on these as of lately. How is this boat lessor quality than the Selene and Nordhavn? I did read what you said, that they are not bad boats at all, just not as good in some regard. Can you quantify this for me or point me in the right direction? I have read a great deal about Nordhavn and would consider that to the a boat to cross an Ocean. They appear to be the top of the food chain in production "expedition yachting". I suppose this could be splitting hairs, but I wonder if anyone has ever really tried to provide a fair comparison of brands and models?

Oh well, just did Miami, on the Palm Beach, our favorite show.

https://www.pbboatshow.com/en/home.html

Last edited:
We looked hard at lots of different boat and went with the N63. It doesn’t roll and it’s not cramped. The ER and overall layout were much better for our needs than the Fleming. We love the boat and literally wouldn’t trade it for anything we’ve seen at any price.

We looked hard at lots of different boat and went with the N63. It doesn’t roll and it’s not cramped. The ER and overall layout were much better for our needs than the Fleming. We love the boat and literally wouldn’t trade it for anything we’ve seen at any price.

Nordhavn engine rooms are spectacular, and definitely prefer to the lower profile Flemings.

@Bowball, that was my impression as well and I walked off the Fleming at the boat show quickly. I don’t like sole buried engines and they only build twins.

Nordies we’re better in those regards.

I haven’t spent much time with Kroger’s however, and wonder how engine room spaces are.

@Bowball, that was my impression as well and I walked off the Fleming at the boat show quickly. I don’t like sole buried engines and they only build twins.

Nordies we’re better in those regards.

I haven’t spent much time with Kroger’s however, and wonder how engine room spaces are.

It’s all about preferences and priorities. I ultimately prefer the Fleming as my use is as a coastal cruiser and the lower decks, walk around decks, easier to access tender, ability for faster speed in special situations, etc are more important to me than the engine room access, but you can’t go wrong with either choice! Steak or lobster? Looks are subjective too… elegant sedan versus a well proportioned SUV is a personal choice.

I could go either way on single versus twin as both have benefits. Perhaps a single but when the tidal current is running strong or that 70 mile dash across an ocean straight is needed a few more knots of speed is nice.

The boats are clearly different design philosophies and each seems to excel in what they chose to build. The trade offs are inherent in those designs not by the manufacturer.

Both have clearly happy owners, and I’d be happy with either.

I must admit that a Nordhavn 68 forward helm looks stunning.

Last edited:
Nordhavn engine rooms are spectacular, and definitely prefer to the lower profile Flemings.

They are also boats with very different missions. One is a displacement ocean crosser, and the other is a semi displacement coastal cruiser. I do know of one Fleming 75 (or something close as I’m not certain of the exact models) that crossed the atlantic. But for the most part they don’t have the fuel capacity for such a venture. Great boats, but a different purpose.

It’s all about preferences and priorities. I ultimately prefer the Fleming as my use is as a coastal cruiser and the lower decks, walk around decks, easier to access tender, ability for faster speed in special situations, etc are more important to me than the engine room access, but you can’t go wrong with either choice! Steak or lobster? Looks are subjective too… elegant sedan versus a well proportioned SUV is a personal choice.

I could go either way on single versus twin as both have benefits. Perhaps a single but when the tidal current is running strong or that 70 mile dash across an ocean straight is needed a few more knots of speed is nice.

The boats are clearly different design philosophies and each seems to excel in what they chose to build. The trade offs are inherent in those designs not by the manufacturer.

Both have clearly happy owners, and I’d be happy with either.

I must admit that a Nordhavn 68 forward helm looks stunning.

I should have read this before replying to an earlier post. I think you hit the nail in the head. They are different boats targeting different use. Which is a better fit depends on your goals.

I sold my Selene 53 a couple of years ago and am in the market for a new to me boat of equal or better quality. Size does matter, and prefer something in the 60'+ range. I'm not opposed to Nordhavn either, but have thought about the many steel boats of the same pilot house design. Anybody interested in selling can reach me at jsbraga@aol.com. I invite dealers, brokers, etc. to participate in bringing me some ideas.

Boy do I have the boat for you :)

https://jmys.com/listings/florida-bay-coaster-64-red-head/ :socool:

64'
Steel
Raised Pilothouse
What else could you want :)

Back
Top Bottom