Solar Panels, Poly, Mono and all that stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I found this guy on YOu Tube, Will Prouse.

https://youtu.be/nsg9nQ03CdE

I really like his videos and his enthusiasm.

this is the second video in which he has found that mono cell SP are not significantly better than poly cell.

He uses the word "crazy" for everything.

David

The reason I've always ended up with monocrystalline is that (at least up through my most recent purchase in 2019) mono had a smaller footprint for the same wattage. Since I never seem to have wide open spaces for fitting them, every inch counts.

The reason I've always ended up with monocrystalline is that (at least up through my most recent purchase in 2019) mono had a smaller footprint for the same wattage. Since I never seem to have wide open spaces for fitting them, every inch counts.

That seems to be the overwhelming driving factor on a boat - get the max power per sq ft/m.

That means panels with max output per sq ft/m to extract the most from the sun, and the most efficient MPPT charge controller you can find to utilize the max from the panel. And if practical, separate charge controllers per panel to maximize shading immunity.

Will Prouse is the most enthusiastic but objective reviewer I’ve run across. He is willing to tell the big players the facts about their products. One can only hope he doesn’t ever take a “job” in the solar or solar accessory industry. I’m sure he gets regular offers.

Yes, his videos are "crazy" good.

I have been off grid at my home for over 15 years and I've designed and built the world's first solar and wind powered wood fired oven FOOD TRUCK. So, having put together a few solar / off grid systems I'm about to take on a solar / battery system for a 40 foot Albin Trawler. This boat has no generator and it has a very small solar battery system now. I intend to essentially start from scratch with a new much large solar/battery system to make all my power. (When the engines are running it will also be charging the batteries). The plan is to make a SUNDECK or a roof out of solar panels over the aft deck. Initial calculations suggest I can get six 325 WATT Mono's on this Trawler. It will be a 24 Volt DC system, two 12 volt Battle Born Lithium Ion batteries in series, a 2,000 watt 24 volt inverter taking DC power to make 110VAC power out of it where needed on the boat, a transformer to knock that 24VDC down to 12VDC for other various onboad uses. Pure copper wires. Frame for solar panels will be made out of aluminum. Rough estimate is I can do this for about $5K. It will be similar to the system I put on my food truck, except there I have 8 solar panels. But panels have improved their output; smaller area produces more power in 2020.

I love solar power. And these power houses of Litium Ion batteries weigh only about 31 pounds so I will have similar AH with two of these weighing in at 62 pounds total compared to about 440 pounds of lead acids, and lead acids need regular tending.

Being self reliant and sustainable are extremely high on my list. Not needing fuel for a generator and not having the NOISE of generator or engines running are also very high priorities. Having done this on other "mobile" applications gives me added confidence. Quiet, reliable, regular, abundant power. What is not to love??

The issue I see with reflectors is WIND and the fact that a boat is a MOBILE application. There is a lot of wind and being mobile making reflectors a bad combination, in my book.

I am a big Will Prouse fan and Jeff Cote as well. I've posted other Cote videos on a variety of electronic issues. The video I link here is from last year's (2019) boat show. There are a few areas I think Will would disagree with Jeff, but I still think Jeff has something to offer.

If you are a solar virgin, Jeff and Will are great educational resources:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom