Solar/DC/AC - Cooler/Freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m much more willing to take a loss when plugged into shorepower than I am when sitting at anchor.

I also don’t see any big advantages to having an AC/DC unit like mine over a DC only unit like yours. I usually have my battery charger running all the time when on shore power as it is.

It's looking like good sized batt house bank. efficient DC only fridge and ample solar panels may be best way to go! :thumb: :dance:

Hey Art. I run a Waeco CDF-35 which is an older model of what your link shows. A single 250 watt panel keeps my batteries topped up and the fridge running just above during the without my main charger plugged in.

The 250 watt panel may not keep up if the fridge is opened often on an overcast day, but 99% of the time the battery bank is 100% charged before noon each day.

My post # 31 also pertains to your quote here! Thanks...

It's looking like good sized batt house bank. efficient DC only fridge and ample solar panels may be best way to go! :thumb: :dance:
Yup. During the summer, I can have the shore charger turned off and have both my NovaKool and our DC chest freezer running and keep the batteries charged with just my single 365w solar panel.

I have seen a standalone carfridge/battery/regulated solar panel system fitted on a FB. It does not access the boat`s DC system. I suppose in worst case a fridge low draw prevention system protects the battery. A good supply of sunshine helps, may not work so well where days are short and clouds are long.

Yup. During the summer, I can have the shore charger turned off and have both my NovaKool and our DC chest freezer running and keep the batteries charged with just my single 365w solar panel.

Dave - That sounds really good!

I see that $227.37 purchase could give me a 77.2" x 39.1" x 1.57" 330W solar panel.

Currently have an old [approx. 40" x 20"] X-watt?? solar panel on fly bridge front that makes sure gen set batt stays charged. Could cover entire front of fly bridge with panels. Don't have flat spot other than top of small raised deck of forward state room; but need that for walking reasons. Can't put flat hard top over fly bridge because need to drop bimini top to get into covered berth.

Wonder how well completely covered front of fly bridge would work for collecting ample sunlight onto panels for getting 300 to 400 watts?

https://a1solarstore.com/canadian-s...MIxu6n9bDQ3QIVhB9pCh38bQVbEAQYAiABEgKtTfD_BwE

I see that $227.37 purchase could give me a 77.2" x 39.1" x 1.57" 330W solar panel.

Currently have an old [approx. 40" x 20"] X-watt?? solar panel on fly bridge front that makes sure gen set batt stays charged. Could cover entire front of fly bridge with panels. Don't have flat spot other than top of small raised deck of forward state room; but need that for walking reasons. Can't put flat hard top over fly bridge because need to drop bimini top to get into covered berth.

Wonder how well completely covered front of fly bridge would work for collecting ample sunlight onto panels for getting 300 to 400 watts?

https://a1solarstore.com/canadian-s...MIxu6n9bDQ3QIVhB9pCh38bQVbEAQYAiABEgKtTfD_BwE

Art
I have see a few solar installations where the panels are hung from the side rails on the FB, ready to be flipped up well above side decks, and ready to be stowed vertically when parking in your shelter. You might be OK after all.

I have seen several flexible panel solar installations recently, this will allow you to lay them on the bimini, when it is deployed, giving further viable options for location.

LOL: I checked out the site you quoted, "Canadian Solar" but they can't ship to where I live in Canada! That and their prices are in $US only.

Art
I have see a few solar installations where the panels are hung from the side rails on the FB, ready to be flipped up well above side decks, and ready to be stowed vertically when parking in your shelter. You might be OK after all.

I have seen several flexible panel solar installations recently, this will allow you to lay them on the bimini, when it is deployed, giving further viable options for location.

LOL: I checked out the site you quoted, "Canadian Solar" but they can't ship to where I live in Canada! That and their prices are in $US only.

Thanks Keith!

I am thinking of aluminum frame hinge-attached onto front of fly bridge. Could be flipped up level to best accept sun rays with big solar panel on it. Set/fastened/strapped back down for secure storage.

In set down position it would still collect fair amount of sunlight energy.

I guestimate the hinged frame could in total amount to 9' or 10' long x 3'6" to 4' wide. Should be able to get pretty good wattage from that much area.

:whistling:

My single panel sits on my PH roof. This area can get shaded from my arch with radar, TV, and antenas. In fact, in my slip in the summer it gets shaded every day. It still kicks out a lot of power. The newer panels like the LG365Q1C-A5 that I bought handle shade as well as angled light pretty well. Large wattage panels are expensive, but it only takes 1 or 2 to make a big difference.

My single panel sits on my PH roof. This area can get shaded from my arch with radar, TV, and antenas. In fact, in my slip in the summer it gets shaded every day. It still kicks out a lot of power. The newer panels like the LG365Q1C-A5 that I bought handle shade as well as angled light pretty well. Large wattage panels are expensive, but it only takes 1 or 2 to make a big difference.

Thanks for more input, Dave. Looked up LG365Q1C-A5. Sounds good. Item I didn't see was its dimensions... do you know or have guestimate on those #s. If I could I'd eventually fit two in hinged frames on front of fly bridge. Solar Electric Power Galore!

Thanks for more input, Dave. Looked up LG365Q1C-A5. Sounds good. Item I didn't see was its dimensions... do you know or have guestimate on those #s. If I could I'd eventually fit two in hinged frames on front of fly bridge. Solar Electric Power Galore!

They are a 60 cell panel so are a pretty typical size. I bought it from Platt and picked it up locally. When I called them to order the stuff I wanted, the price they quoted me was quite a bit less than was listed on their website. Anyway, the size is 66.9" x 40" x 1.57" Weight is just under 40.8 lbs.

http://tinyurl.com/y94puhj3

Even though it says it is a 365W panel, I've seen a number of days when its peak power hits 400W.

Back
Top Bottom