Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Solar controller question

Using the Victron controller calculator and entering the specs of my 2 panels, it only recommends the BlueSolar 150/45.

Here are the panel specs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5441.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	86242

I’m wondering why I couldn’t use the Victron SmartSolar 100/50?

If I wire in parallel isn’t the max voltage only the rating of the one panel voltage of 39v?

I have a 12 volt battery bank.

What’s more critical, the amp rating of the controller or the volt rating?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Guru

Voltage is the most critical rating. You can over amp a controller but if you over voltage your controller you most probably will kill it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
You really need to look at all of it, but I agree that voltage is what will harm a controller. They will self-limit at their max amps, and you will just be losing available power.

The Victron 100/50 doesn't really have the current capacity for your panels. With the panels in parallel you have 600W @ 12V which is 50A. I don't recall exactly, but you are suppose to over rate by something like 15%. But again, that's most important with Voltage.

With the 150/45 that are probably configuring the panels in series. 40V (Voc) times two is 80V. For voltage I think you are suppose to overrate by 1.4, so that brings you to 112V which is too much for the 100/50, but OK for the 150/45.

I have increasingly seen people using one controller per panel, so you might want to consider that. The controller can be smaller, and with each controlling it's own panel you get the best handling of shading. But cost will be a bit more, especially by the time you are done with fuses, breakers, etc.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Don't wire two panels in series as it will result in as much as 80 V which is beyond safe DC wiring specs.

The new Victron MPPT controllers are a good deal so I would consider using two 30A controllers, one for each panel. That shouldn't require that much more expense to wire two panels/controllers in parallel. You can use one fuse/breaker at the battery bank for both as long as the wire from each controller to the battery has sufficient ampacity for the fuse/breaker rating.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Guru

Dc wiring specs?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
The thing that strikes me about that is the maximum (zero current) open circuit voltage of 80V on the panels going tob a controller with a maximum rating of 100V. That just seems too close for continuous use. I'd want ~50% headroom .

Could you use it? Probably. Is it prudent to move up to the model with the higher rating? Probably.

Remember, their calculator isnt giving minimum spec, itbis giving their "recommendation". Mine would be the same.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Keep in mind that the amp rating is the output, not the input. Also, a solar panel will be frequently operating near the top of its voltage rating but only rarely near the top of its current rating.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Guru

I like the idea of two smaller controllers if the wiring doesn’t cause me too much trouble.

I really wanted to get a Bluetooth compatible controller because I was not interested in mounting a separate display panel, so that’s why I was looking at the SmartSolar from Victron. So I could use two of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5446.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	86255

Wonder how the smartphone app would handle two of these controllers in the same location?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5444.jpg  
Old 03-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #9

Yes, the 100/30 model was the one I was thinking of if using two parallel controllers.

David
Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Guru

I was hoping I could mount these controllers down below near the battery box, so I would not have very easy access to them. That was the reason for wanting something that would connect to a smart phone app.

Isn’t it preferable to mount a controller close to the batteries?

For these panels is number 10 wire OK to run to the controller? What size wire do you run from the controller to the batteries?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
Putting the controllers as close to the batteries as possible is good. They don’t have a remote voltage sense, so the shorter the wire run, the more accurate your charging will be. Victron does have a blue tooth voltage and temp monitor, but I have read that the range is quite poor.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Guru

Yeah I was wondering about that range. I have also read similar comments. My boat is pretty small, and the batteries are basically directly under the pilot house, so standing in the pilot house they would be about 3 to 4 feet away.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I was hoping I could mount these controllers down below near the battery box, so I would not have very easy access to them. That was the reason for wanting something that would connect to a smart phone app.

Isn’t it preferable to mount a controller close to the batteries?

For these panels is number 10 wire OK to run to the controller? What size wire do you run from the controller to the batteries?

If you install parallel controllers then the maximum current will be about 25A for each, so 10 gauge will be fine if the controller is within a couple of feet of the batteries, but if one single controller then at 50A you need #6 to keep the voltage drop to less than a tenth of a volt.

You will need to wire your single or dual controllers to a fuse block within 6" of the battery to meet ABYC. From the fuse block to the batteries use #6. Use a 60A fuse.

David
Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks! Tested out my panels and got 9.3 amps at 36.3 volts, which appears to be 330 watts? Is it normal for a panel to exceed the rated 300 watts on the sticker?
Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #15

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
I have just installed the app on my Polarus 35 and have no problems with the bluetooth on my flybridge which is about 4 meters away from the controller in the engine room near the batteries. I love it.

John
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
If you install parallel controllers then the maximum current will be about 25A for each, so 10 gauge will be fine if the controller is within a couple of feet of the batteries, but if one single controller then at 50A you need #6 to keep the voltage drop to less than a tenth of a volt.

You will need to wire your single or dual controllers to a fuse block within 6" of the battery to meet ABYC. From the fuse block to the batteries use #6. Use a 60A fuse.

David

Got it. Thanks.

What kind of fuse block are you talking about? I’ve searched around but don’t know what I’m looking for really.

So would I run four #6 wires from both controllers to this fuse block, and then two #6 wires to the battery bank? Does it matter how I hook it up to the 4 battery house bank?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I’m pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff. [emoji30]
Old 03-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #17

If you use this terminal mount fuse block- https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...gateway&sr=8-7 you mount it to your battery + terminal and then run two 10 gauge plus from each controller to the block and two 10 gauge minus to the - terminal or a nearby negative buss bar.

With a four battery house bank just hook it up to the + and - terminals unless it is series/paralleled wired GC batteries then make sure you wire it to the +/- 12V terminals.

Use this 60A fuse- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B04Z5Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1

David
Old 03-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
Guru

Awesome. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The panel for my Magnum Inverter charger tells me what is coming into the house bank because the solar power comes into the house system at the bus bar after the Magnum shunt. It doesn’t tell me what is coming out of the Panels, unless the instantaneous house loads are near zero.

The most stupid question is the one you should have asked but didn’t!
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
If you use this terminal mount fuse block- https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...gateway&sr=8-7 you mount it to your battery + terminal and then run two 10 gauge plus from each controller to the block and two 10 gauge minus to the - terminal or a nearby negative buss bar.

With a four battery house bank just hook it up to the + and - terminals unless it is series/paralleled wired GC batteries then make sure you wire it to the +/- 12V terminals.

Use this 60A fuse- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B04Z5Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1

David
The terminal fuses are awesome and versatile. The mounts are also made in a double if you need two different fuses on the same source.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote