Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Sofas for small places

Hi All!!

I searched and searched and couldn’t find the last thread about small sofas for salons. (Okay, that’s not true, I did find my own old post from 2012 with our previous boat.). At any rate....I continued to search for replacement sofas over the years, as the one in our Navigator has seen way better days. Our challenge is the space for the sofa is limited to 29-30 inches deep to allow for enough air flow for the intake for the air conditioning unit behind the sofa and to not block the step up to the galley/pilot house.

We needed 79Lx29Dx32H. I found it! Zinus.com. Comes in a box, easy assembly, free shipping, 100 day trial, and cheap! $357.00.

We brought it to the boat today and it fits perfect. So far, highly recommend! YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
B86A5E01-3AE4-4482-B464-225A9A0D1B7E.jpg  
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
RV distributor. They have sorts of couches, love seats, sectionals, and love seats that will break down for fitting through narrow doors. We got these pieces through a 20-inch wide door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Hi All!!

I searched and searched and couldn’t find the last thread about small sofas for salons. (Okay, that’s not true, I did find my own old post from 2012 with our previous boat.). At any rate....I continued to search for replacement sofas over the years, as the one in our Navigator has seen way better days. Our challenge is the space for the sofa is limited to 29-30 inches deep to allow for enough air flow for the intake for the air conditioning unit behind the sofa and to not block the step up to the galley/pilot house.

We needed 79Lx29Dx32H. I found it! Zinus.com. Comes in a box, easy assembly, free shipping, 100 day trial, and cheap! $357.00.

We brought it to the boat today and it fits perfect. So far, highly recommend! YMMV
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoveSeat.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	97299Click image for larger version

Name:	Sectional.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	97300
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
RV distributor. They have sorts of couches, love seats, sectionals, and love seats that will break down for fitting through narrow doors. We got these pieces through a 20-inch wide door.Attachment 97299Attachment 97300
True, there are several options out there, just none fit our space for the sofa. The entry door is not our problem, it has been the footprint available. This one does fit and looks pretty good doing it. 😃
Old 12-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Wayfair also has many Loveseat type sofas that fit nicely in our saloons - and they come unassembled in a box also, so no issue with doors.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Wayfair also has many Loveseat type sofas that fit nicely in our saloons - and they come unassembled in a box also, so no issue with doors.
Also true! Nothing on Wayfair fit our footprint. Love them! I got all new beach themed bedding from Wayfair!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616 (6).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	97303

This is our small sofa from Wayfair.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Living-room furniture seems inconsistent with boating on vessels under 45 feet overall.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Here
European apartments are tiny by our standards and their furniture is much smaller. We found a polish furniture store in Toronto that catered to the tiny (300 - 600sq.ft) condos that are now common here.

This couch has storage underneath and pulls out to a double bed.
Attached Images

boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
Guru

A topic we struggled with on our last few boats and decided a compromise that has worked out well for us on our current boat. We know what works for us and designed our current boat to meet our requirements. We decided on a built in L Shape sofa then had custom ottomans built which serve multiple purposes. While our salon and galley layout may not work for everyone it works great for us. We definitely would consider free standing furniture on our next boat.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Living-room furniture seems inconsistent with boating on vessels under 45 feet overall.
On boats like ours with no built-ins, we have no choice. Besides, it's very comfortable All of the furniture is secured, and never moves, even when we get rocked by some idiot.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Why? Cuz built-ins are so comfortable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote