So why isn't your DSC hooked up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That reminds me, my FCC license will probably expire soon. I wonder if they send a note to renew like the documentation from the USCG?

Keith wrote:
That reminds me, my FCC license will probably expire soon. I wonder if they send a note to renew like the documentation from the USCG?
*Didn't think you needed on in the U.S.

SD

Keith wrote:
The US has gotten very bad at notifications like this.* We used to get an annual renewal notification for our customs sticker.* That stopped a few year ago when they were "changing computer systems."* It has never started up again.* Instead, there is a website where you can go to renew the sticker but it's up to you to remember to do it.

We were notified that our radio station license was coming up for renewal not by the USG but by a private firm that will handle the renewal for you (for a very hefty fee).* This alerted us to check the license and seeing that it was nearing expiration we did the then-very convoluted and unintuitive on-line process of renewal.* Hopefully they've improved the system since then.

We do still get a mailed notification to renew our documentation but the other things now seem to be up to you to remember.

skipperdude wrote:Keith wrote:
*Didn't think you needed on in the U.S.

SD

That depends.* I cut the information*below from the FCC**web site.* It also says you need a license to operate a VHF radio in Canada.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=ship_stations
<h3 class="sectionHeadText">Who Needs a Ship Station License</h3>You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft...
....Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.
Radio Equipment You May Use
You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

In Canada, there no requirement for a Canadian to have a radio station license. Used to be required, but they eventually figured out that it cost more to administer than was coming in, so dropped the requirement 5 or 10 yrs ago.
I don't know if foreigners require one.

Marin said

We used to get an annual renewal notification for our customs sticker.

Don't know if this is the same for US citizens but as Canadians we need a "customs sticker' or decal to clear US customs and they notify me automatically every year when it is time to renew it for the next year at

Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System) at https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov*
*Bob

Canadians visting the US* or other countries are required to have a Canadian radio station licence to cover your VHF etc.

If you never leave Canadian waters then you do not need a station licence

Bob

"I don't know if foreigners require one. "

Yes, they do, at least at this point. If we boated only in US waters, as a recreational boat we would not need a station license. But the fact we take our boat into Canada means we need a station license.* This is a US requirement for us-- -I don't know if it's a Canadian requirement for us, too.

I've had a radiotelephone operator's license for decades as part of my requirement for flying planes. So I've not paid any attention to the operator's license part of the equation for boaters.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 02:39:29 PM

I have not installed one because in the Puget Sound there is cell phone works great.**I would first call US Boat for a tow, then my diesel mechanic, and then maybe the coast guard.* The coast guard usually passes to a third party anyway.*** I have US Boat, diesel Mechanic and Coast in my cell phone quick dial.* I dont think I would even use the VHF in the Puget Sound or Islands?* Maybe when they make a Portable VHF, with a DSC and GPS built in?*
When we start to cruise to more isolated/desolated places then we will have a personal ACR/EPIRBS.* I first bought a portable GPS for hiking and cross country skiing not for the boat. *A personal ACR can be use on land and the water where as EPIRBS*is for marina.****

The most recent PMM has a good article on this subject. Of course they are flogging getting an Iridium for $1500*you can use when you are out of cell phone or VHF range. As P/F noted, an ACR/EPIRB works fine too when you're out of the city and 'burbs.

Phil Fill wrote:I dont think I would even use the VHF in the Puget Sound or Islands?*
There are many localized places in the San Juans (and Gulf Islands) where there is no cell phone signal to be had or it is so weak that you generally can't complete a phone call without losing the call.* Sucia Island is one of them, particularly down on the water.* Westsound is another one.* And we've encountered many more.* Sometimes one phone service will have a signal or partial signal while another service has nothing.

But we have not been anywhere yet where VHF did not work, at least for hearing or contacting the Coast Guard or getting weather.* Ship-to-ship coverage can be limited in some areas because of the terrain.

Back
Top Bottom