So When Is Enough, Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, unless you are going to sell the boat in a couple of years, if the current electronics work, keep them. Not interested in dropping $30K+ only to have the next owner complain, the electronics are once again out of date.

In terms of dollars, I'll probably get the original purchase price when I sell my boat after replacing engine, gearbox, fuel tanks, etc etc etc... I still see it as a good investment, just not from a financial point of view.

A running takeout from an owner that suffers Bestitis can be a fantastic good deal.

Its how I lived my whole life
Part of what let me retire from working for the man in my 30's

I expect to get every improvement dollar back at resale. I have instructed the executor of my estate to not accept a nickel below $500k for my 1970 Willard 36!

Some upgrades have value. Putting a bow thruster on a single engine boat has value (or not having one erodes value). Adding a generator to a boat that has none adds value (assuming it was purchased accordingly). Adding a cockpit control station adds value. Upgrading to electronic doesn't. Some things are just bad luck. Replacing a generator probably doesn't do much. Fuel tanks may add a little value assuming tankage is materially reduced

Runs the gamut. In the meantime, feel free to ping me on a $500k offer to my estate.

Peter

As I’m fond of saying: Those problems are my executors, or my wife and her new boy toy. Why make life easy for any of them?��

As I’m fond of saying: Those problems are my executors, or my wife and her new boy toy. Why make life easy for any of them?��

You don't want to make things easy for your wife when you pass?

Everything I have ever added to the boat has been worth half of what I paid to add it. It cost me $10,000 to replace the windows on a boat that I sold 4 years later for $60,000. This does not include many other expensive upgrades. I drew the line at a paint job. That would have cost $30,000 and I probably would have gotten only another $5,000 at time of sale.

On the other hand my boat sold in 45 days. Considering the cost of moorage and insurance one could say that I got another $15,000.

In the end I bought the boat for $100,000, spent $100,000 over 15 years and sold it for $60,000 plus saved $15,000 by selling quick so I only threw away $125,000 over 15 years.

At 8.3K per year, I'd say that's a pretty cheap lifestyle!

I do not even consider resale in either my boat or my house upgrades. upgrades are for personal enjoyment.

Make your stuff how you like it, and let the chips fall where they may when you sell.

Exactly how I feel. But then, I have never looked back on all I've spent over the years collectively. I'm sure it's not as big as some of you guys with shiny boats and deep pockets, but I don't really wanna know anyway. It's scary enough owning a boat on a budget!!

Last edited:
I don’t keep track of what I spend on the boat, I really don’t want to know not that it would make any difference because I am going to spend to get it the way I want it. It isn’t an investment other than in my satisfaction in life quality.

I don’t keep track of what I spend on the boat, I really don’t want to know not that it would make any difference because I am going to spend to get it the way I want it. It isn’t an investment other than in my satisfaction in life quality.

I'm just reaching a point in my life where my anti-boat-spending wife will soon have no influence on my boat spending since she will be an ex. I'm really looking forward to the freedom. Hope I can afford myself without adult supervision.

If I start a Go Fund Me page, you'll know I spent too much. :hide:

My wife of 49 years doesn’t even ask how much I spend on the boat anymore.

Here you go...

Attachments

• 785A0C94-3B15-4D90-91E0-CCEC9DD8EAAB.jpeg
    785A0C94-3B15-4D90-91E0-CCEC9DD8EAAB.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 144
I'm just reaching a point in my life where my anti-boat-spending wife will soon have no influence on my boat spending since she will be an ex. I'm really looking forward to the freedom. Hope I can afford myself without adult supervision.

If I start a Go Fund Me page, you'll know I spent too much. :hide:

I do hope she lets you keep the boat.
Screw the 'adult supervision.'

How many of you have added items that really don't make your boat worth anymore?

The way I see it is I am not about to engage workers (where the real expense comes in) to add anything to my boat. If I can't install it, it will not be added. However, anything I choose to add in the way of improvement will contribute to slowing the decline in the boat's value as it will be more desirable than the same boat which has not had that improvement. That's simplistic, but in the aggregate, I feel the many improvements I have installed have made the boat much easier and safer to operate and contribute to its value, no matter how old the boat is. I think I saw that in action when I sold my old wooden GB - buyer could not ignore the 29 years of obvious continual improvement, and he snapped it up the first week it was for sale.

No hobby and sport makes any sense and the spending in the hobby or sport makes even less sense. In my model railroad days, folks would say "what a waste of money" and I'd reply, not as much of a waste as golf. At the least in my hobby I end of with some "things" whereas in golf I end up with a piece of paper.

Boat spending isn't rational, its enjoyable to make things better and make that thing your or my own. I just spent more on my boat's refit than buying a new or newer boat would have cost. But I have exactly what I want. Does that mean I don't experience boat envy? Of course I do, but I keep coming back to what rings my bell (but not at the wardroom), my boat for me. For example, a buddy just bought a Nordic Tug 32 for about half of what I put into my boat refit and its 28 feet.

But I've long since past the "I just want to go slow" phase in boating. Sometimes, a lot of times, I want to go fast - 20 to 24 knots to get where I'm going and coming home. The boat has been equipped with firefly batteries, new water tanks, new fuel tanks and larger than the old ones, new bow thruster, new everything including engine and leg and electronics.

Do I regret spending so much, a bit yes. Will I ever get that money back, some but definitely not all, do I have a boat that is set up for me and my kind of cruising, absolutely. Money spent on a hobby is rationally stupid, but emotionally supportive.

My ex started with the "I'll take the boat too.", I countered with, Let's put everything in the pot, sell it and divide the cash. Lucky me, she loved her house. LOL

I enjoy doing the upgrades I've done. They're for my enjoyment. While I don't expect to recover the improvement costs, I would like to think it will make the boat easy to sell, hopefully at the upper end of the range.
That's exactly what I did and, yes, the boat sold immediately, above market.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.57.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.57.45 PM.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 23
Yes, she likes to fish, and especially drive the boat while trolling. From your pictures, though, I think Kay has caught bigger king salmon in SE AK than my wife. And yes, I do consider myself lucky.....some wives aren't interested at all.

KenE, she likes boating, cleans, cooks and likes to fish? Where did you find such an angel?
Next you will tell us she likes sports and looks great in a bikini. LOL

Me not keeping the boat wasn't even negotiable! Keeping my castle and my ark...and twice as poor.

Hope the best for you. Splitting up is never fun. However, the freedom you have later is priceless.

As for spending on the boat, do what ya want and enjoy it.

There was a whale watching boat in Everette that I watched depart the dock. He controlled everything from a wireless remote and was able to walk around to see clearance to the dock etc. I currently just have the manual controls on the fly bridge and pilot house. Would love the be able to control with a wireless third station for ease of docking and other close maneuvering. I do have thrusters but the old trusty Ford Lehmans would need some pricy glendinning added to make that compatible
I’m seriously considering doing this project just to allow me to keep boating longer. The admiral has health issues and isn’t always available to help. That is reason enough for me to drop multiple boat bucks that would not add any value to a 1979 boat
jp

I have ordered DockMate. I wish they had rudder control but, they rely on thrusters.

I have ordered DockMate. I wish they had rudder control but, they rely on thrusters.

I am almost finished upgrading my AT34.
When I choose to sell it and you can figure out a way to get rid of my cigar smoke, This will equipped VERY VERY well.

I think the key to a good upgrade is to get everything completed before something else breaks.

There is always something breaking on the boat. Too many simple and complex systems.

"When I choose to sell it and you can figure out a way to get rid of my cigar smoke,"

Ozone machine will pull it from soft stuff , rugs, cushions , tho it may take a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom