So what did you get - boating stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A new stern thruster is our Christmas and birthday gift to each other for the next few years. Gypsy Cloud can now move sideways and she turns on a dime and gives a nickle change. "Stress reduction through manoeuvrability."

A minute heat gun specially made for shrinking waterproof connectors on wiring. Runs on a rechargeable cigarette lighter butane cylinder and is smaller than the palm of your hand . Friend had one I saw when helping him wire in cockpit speakers in Dominica. Wife heard me wow that’s a neat piece of kit. No black or char on the connector and you can wiggle it in anywhere. That was 3 years ago but wife remembered. Guess she loves me and that’s the greatest
Such a torch is also used to caramelize the sugar topping on Crème Brûlée so if it's missing from your toolkit, anticipate a delicious dessert!
:)

Not intended as a boat Christmas gift, but that’s what it became!! A pair of “FlopStoppers”

I ordered them earlier in the fall but they arrived right around Christmas. Can’t wait to go out and give them a try :-D

The boat got - a new stove and oven, new engine blower, new aft step (replaces the one we had to remove with the dinghy davit install last August) and mostly a new H&C water piping.

The house got an Echo and a video door bell.

Not vey exciting but needed.

Have a great 2021 and most important - enjoy your boat.

As a jobbing boat builder my wife and family only buy me rum or tools, topped up the box with a new grinder a smaller polishing machine another cordless drill and a half sheet orbital sander?

I certainly received the most interesting boating gift I've ever received, this year. Some may have read the story of how our Blue Healer "Weasel" fell/jumped overboard in some rough puget sound water a few months ago. We didn't even realize it, thinking she'd run down to the forward state room to hop on the bed. Only discovered she was gone when we pulled into the boat house. Miracle or miracles, she managed to swim to shore and was rescued by a vacationing animal control officer from Walla Walla.

This christmas she mailed us a package. One item was a new life vest for Weasel, marked "Gig Harbor Swim Team Captain Weasel". Another was a T shirt for me marked "Proud Dog Dad of Gig Harbor Swim Team Captain Weasel." Totally blew me away.

That’s one thoughtful gift:thumb:

For the boat?

No the 86”” TV is for the house, it was bought because we joined Costco in order to buy batteries on sale for the boat. But I did get 2 new isolation transformers for the boat but they haven’t arrived yet (slow shipping due to the virus).

A Costco hack. If you have friends who belong, give them something like $50 so they can purchase a gift card for you. You can get into Costco with a gift card only, no membership. This is logical as they want you to come in, spend the money and hopefully join. This is a good system if you only use the store a couple of times a year.

I’m cinsidering buying his as well, I’m sure I’m not the only Salt here that would appreciate an honest review of you have a minute after you get underway! Tight lines!

Nothing really for the boat as I usually just buy whatever we need for the boat but I did get an 86” TV for football. Love it. Well the TV came indirectly from a boat related purchase. Costco had LiFePO4 batteries on an incredible sale so we joined. Then we thought we ought to go to a store since we joined. And as we walked into the store they had these huge TVs right in front... I was thinking about a 75” but my wife assumed I wanted the 86” so who was I to disappoint her.

I invested in a really good OLED TV last year. This year was further upgrade to the surround sound system, namely an SVS sub to replace an older Polk. Great investment, huge difference.

Got an “Alaskan” Dickinson diesel stove and a BRNKL security system! Felt pretty posh this Christmas and excited to install! @mv_seagypsy if anyone likes refit pages on Instagram.

Last edited:
I also got a new hip! lol. Maybe I'll be a little more agile crawling around the engine room this summer! 2nd major surgery of 2020. Sucks getting old but beats the alternative! (as my dad used to say)

50A 240V cord for bow, and a 50 to 30 adapter.
This’ll make transient marina stays simpler so I’m delighted with Xmas 2020.

A 50A 240v cordset for the bow, and a 50-30 A adapter.
I’ll welcome this new flexibility as a marina transient.
Thanks xmas 2020!

I also got a new hip! lol. Maybe I'll be a little more agile crawling around the engine room this summer! 2nd major surgery of 2020. Sucks getting old but beats the alternative! (as my dad used to say)

It is always nice to be able to get around on the boat. Congrats.

Dickies Coveralls

It was my choice. Bought a pair of those Dickies coveralls, the rather plain ones with the wider blue and grey strips. Great for crawling around in the engine compartment. Tough, thick material that will keep my skin on my body instead on the FL135. Double-ended zipper!

Got 2 a few years ago, when the time comes gonna will one to each daughter as they won’t fit into an urn!

Got 2 a few years ago, when the time comes gonna will one to each daughter as they won’t fit into an urn!

Pretty looking boat, what year? I have a MS 355 Pilot (i.e. MS 31 renamed in later years)

I got my husband and 1st Mate a great set of voice activated headset communicators for when we are docking or anchoring the boat. These things come with a guarantee to save your marriage.

I got my husband and 1st Mate a great set of voice activated headset communicators for when we are docking or anchoring the boat. These things come with a guarantee to save your marriage.

and if your marriage fails, do you get your money back, no questions asked?
Does the company pay for the divorce and property settlement?
:D:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom