Old 11-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygag1 View Post
Read today another issue causing backlog is a lack of truck drivers and vehicles to move stuff from the off load area. This is causing headaches for the retail as there are containers full of toys and other consumer goods that cant get offloaded.

A few years ago I had a business trip purposely stayed at port of Long Beach to watch the ships offload and the logistics involved.
None of the ships now anchoring in the Gulf Islands are "Container Ships". See the post immediately prior to yours for a picture of one of the bulk carriers now filling these waters.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
What does that do for air quality, when so many ships are sitting there burning bunker fuel to keep systems running? I've been in Vancouver when, on a bad day, snow on the mountains was brown when seen through the smog.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
What does that do for air quality, when so many ships are sitting there burning bunker fuel to keep systems running? I've been in Vancouver when, on a bad day, snow on the mountains was brown when seen through the smog.
They do not burn bunker in Canadian waters, they switch to low sulfur locomotive diesel for main engine and regular #2 low sulfur diesel for gen-set and auxiliaries. Most ships comply / required with tier 2 diesel emissions when in coastal waters.
Believe many meet tier 3 and run catalytic converter, carbon filter and SCR for N0x reduction in coastal waters.
Believe bunker will be banned by IMO MARPOL in 2021. Bunker is not compatible with Tier 4 emissions proposed by IMO.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
They do not burn bunker in Canadian waters, they switch to low sulfur locomotive diesel for main engine and regular #2 low sulfur diesel for gen-set and auxiliaries. Most ships comply / required with tier 2 diesel emissions when in coastal waters.
Believe many meet tier 3 and run catalytic converter, carbon filter and SCR for N0x reduction in coastal waters.
Believe bunker will be banned by IMO MARPOL in 2021. Bunker is not compatible with Tier 4 emissions proposed by IMO.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 11-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The reality if Canada wants to play in the world trade market the ships are a necessity. When the Covid is over things will eventually return back to normal and timely shipping and schedules will happen.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: gibsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I stare at those mountains all day long from false creek, if you see brown then its just dirt on top the snow.
micheln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
When I first moved to Vancouver in 74, there was no visible smog in the air. When I moved over to the Island in 2016 on many summer days you could see an LA type brown cloud over by UBC and into Richmond, Delta, etc.

I was fortunate living in Deep Cove as the billion trees in that area absorbed so much of the crap in the air. Now in Qualicum, not a concern at all except for forest fire smoke coming from coastal BC, Washington and California. This past summer, most of our smoke in the air was California smoke.

For those who do not know, Vancouver is the third largest port city by volume in North America.

And trivia on Victoria I have found interesting:

Victoria boasts one of the busiest water airports in the world—some think it’s too busy.

IT’S QUITE UNUSUAL—and ambitious—to have an airport smack in the middle of any city, on water or land. According to Transport Canada, which runs the harbour aerodrome, “Victoria Harbour is Canada’s only certified water airport and port that is home to cruise ships, floatplanes, passenger ferries, recreational boaters and kayakers.” And don’t forget the big yachts in the new marina. Did you know Victoria is now the busiest port of call for cruise ships in Canada? Or that the airport has earned the title of Canada’s, and sometimes the world’s, busiest water airport, averaging 100 flight movements (take-offs or landings) a day?

As Transport Canada’s graphic depiction of the harbour’s transportation avenues shows (below), all of the traffic in the harbour is occurring in a small space, one surrounded by dense development of the waterfront, including hotels and thousands of condos. Note the pinch-point between Songhees Point and Laurel Point, a narrow channel that all vessels, including aircraft, must squeeze through to get into or out of the Inner Harbour. And notice that airport runways are superimposed on the lane for boats over 20 metres in length.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheln View Post
I stare at those mountains all day long from false creek, if you see brown then its just dirt on top the snow.
Well...as a fine art photographer who was going to art school at the time, and as somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time observing how light changes throughout the day and seasons, I'm positive it was smog.

One day clear skies and crisp green forested white capped mountains, then the next day blue mountains without crisp outlines of trees and brown snow seen diagonally through smog.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Vancouver produces smog. Less now than before due to pollution regs but it is still present.
We used to live in Burnaby, right next door to Vancouver proper, in fact three city blocks from the dividing line. I often walked to Boundary Rd. to look over the city. It, smog, was often heavy enough that the Lions Gate bridge, ~ 6-7 miles away, was only just visible.
I lived in that house from 1952 to 2007 so have some experience with the area. When I first started driving it was almost not possible to drive in the fall at night even on lit streets due to the heavy fog, mostly due to emission from all sources. I often walked at those times. One of the few signs of some common sense on my part in those days.

As houses all eventually went to gas and electric, the cars cleaned up, the Beehive burners were no longer used and much of the heavier industry either moved or installed equipment to clean their emissions the air cleaned up a LOT., not totally though.

Our boat was moored for 25 yrs in Burrard Inlet so we spent a lot of time running in and out of English Bay. 1979 - 2007

When we returned home from our trips West to Desolation Snd. or the Broughtons we knew when we were approaching Vancouver. We could see the brown cloud pouring out of English Bay as we traveled East on the Sunshine Coast, going home to the marina in Burrard Inlet.,. Then we could smell it as we got even closer. It took even longer to actually see the city itself.
There were many days on my way home from work atop the bridges that the North Shore Mountains could not even be seen even though there was not a REAL cloud in the sky and the sun was out. approx '95 to 2007.

Even where we are now we do not escape it completely.

During the winter the outflow winds coming down the Fraser River valley , Howe Sound, Indian arm often blow and disperse it but not entirely.

So I don't doubt what Murray commented about.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #30
Guru

I went to art school in the early 1980's, so it lines up with C lectric's timeline. Glad to hear it's gotten better despite the surge in population since then.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Today's mail brought a flyer from our Green Party MP, Elizabeth May, explaining the glut of freighters in Gulf Island anchorages.
It seems all about scheduling. After decades of experience in coordinating the sale and delivery of grain through our Canada Wheat Board, that board was eliminated by the then Federal Government and no effective replacement has appeared.
The present chaos in delivery results in the glut of freighters in our anchorages. Transport Canada, pressed to find anchorages for the glut of waiting vessels, has designated 30 such anchorages in the Gulf Islands.
No answer is presently on the horizon.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
A few years ago there were a couple of ships anchored just south of Dodds Narrows. Kind of surprised me.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #33
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
That was forward thinking on behalf of the govt. bet there are some pissed off boat owners, cap stains and crew who are stuck
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote