So how are dealing with Wuhan Flu on your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have been digging into our freezers. Things like crab, moose. Salmon and halibut.

Here is beer batter halibut with stir fry asparagus... 20200320_184806.jpeg

Working on boat projects. New autopilot, new inverter and a bunch of small stuff.

We are only going out to shop or to work on the boat. But the boat is in a barn and no one else is there so I think it is safe. I feel bad for all the people that can’t work, we are lucky enough that we are retired so not working isn’t an issue for us. I think this is going to be a long and tough haul. Everyone keep separate and safe out there.

I'm a letter carrier so will keep working through the pandemic. Have holidays next week, but told supervisor if people start calling in sick I can come back to work so my coworkers don't have to do overtime on my route. They would do the same.

We've been buying a little extra food when shopping for the past month and a half or so. Good to plan ahead.

Oh, by the way, it's not influenza!

Last edited:
I'm a letter carrier so will keep working through the pandemic. Have holidays next week, but told supervisor if people start calling in sick I can come back to work so my coworkers don't have to do overtime on my route. They would do the same.

We've been buying a little extra food when shopping for the past month and a half or so. Good to plan ahead.

Thanks for your service. We also have great letter carriers here too.

Thanks for your service. We also have great letter carriers here too.

Don't forget transit/bus drivers, gas station attendants, grocery store shelf stocking clerks, cashiers, pharmacists and their assistants, garbage collectors, etc, etc, etc...

It takes a lot of people, besides the heroic work of health workers and first responders, to keep things running as close to normal as possible.

On a lighter note, today when I got home from work I thoroughly washed my hands for 30 seconds, then sat down on the toilet :thumb: :D

Last edited:
On a lighter note, today when I got home from work I thoroughly washed my hands for 30 seconds, then sat down on the toilet :thumb: :D[/QUOTE]

It is a strange world we are living in now.

Boat is in storage until snow sheet melt, well in fact will stay in storage this year so will not deal with this on the boat anyway.
Working from home for the past week, our hq has shutdown except for people who need to be there whatsoever meaning rail traffic controllers and rail police. As critical for supply chain, business must go on.
Some woodworking at home, some cooking, a glass of wine to enjoy warm spring on the deck, everything I like!
Went out for grocery today, not a big deal at all, this is not zombie apocalypse. Just keep your distance, don't lick the door handles or cashier ass, wash your hands when back home and everything is fine.
Basic hygiene habits like it should mostly be and that's it. Who is no washing hands after having been in buses or subways anyway?

L

Our next door neighbour was back yesterday after an Antarctic cruise, from Ushuaia in Argentina. In self isolation for 14 days but allowed into the garden, so we can talk from a distance. The street is busy with mowers, edgers, leaf blowers,etc, people feel safe in the yard around their houses. Gardens will be looking good. Ah, the tyranny of grass.
We have to go to the marina tomorrow to meet the guys delivering the "new" boat from Melbourne. Distance, maybe masks? Might leave the boat a few days so anything on surfaces dies off, but they`ve been at sea since Tuesday so should be ok.
Govt says anyone over 70 should not go shopping etc for supplies. A bit late for that.

Our next door neighbour was back yesterday after an Antarctic cruise, from Ushuaia in Argentina. In self isolation for 14 days but allowed into the garden, so we can talk from a distance. The street is busy with mowers, edgers, leaf blowers,etc, people feel safe in the yard around their houses. Gardens will be looking good. Ah, the tyranny of grass.
We have to go to the marina tomorrow to meet the guys delivering the "new" boat from Melbourne. Distance, maybe masks? Might leave the boat a few days so anything on surfaces dies off, but they`ve been at sea since Tuesday so should be ok.
Govt says anyone over 70 should not go shopping etc for supplies. A bit late for that.
My wife parents are 80+. Still my mother in law was wanting to go shopping. No no, we told them that this is time to stay home and relax, make your shopping list and we will deliver it. This is time when youngsters should take care of elders.

L

I’m at work tonight, operating Alaska’s power grid.

My work is very much locked down. Only essential personnel in the ops center, special anti viral spray, etc.....

There are only 7 system operators that work a rotating shift 24X7X365 to keep the lights on. If one of us gets sick, others will work extra shifts to cover.

My mom lives with us. She will be 100 in May so we are really trying to be extra careful for her. But then again we are both in our upper 60’s so we are also high risk, I guess.

Sitting all on our lonesome in a deep hole only accessible at high tide surrounded by sandbanks with 4 tonne of water, 4 tonne of diesel and 3 maybe 4 mths of supplies on board.

Watching turtles and dugongs while drinking an icy cold Royal Dutch Post Horn and contemplating if to have a martini next.
Looking at the weekenders packed like sardines at an anchorage a couple of miles away and wondering why the herd hasn't cottoned on that its a big bit of water out here, but glad that they haven't.

Just another day, just like any other.

Last edited:
Sitting all on our lonesome in a deep hole only accessible at high tide surrounded by sandbanks with 4 tonne of water, 4 tonne of diesel and 3 maybe 4 mths of supplies on board..
The ultimate isolation. I hope we`ve done enough to cushion the current exponential increases, and if not there is enough treatment available. Age itself seems to be an issue,compounding factors like heart or lung problems, or diabetes, are perhaps worse factors. Combined, who knows....let`s hope it never happens.

The ultimate isolation.
Yep.
Rather unfortunate that we need to head in amongst the dirt dwellers to get a bottom job and a few other things done next month.
Several jobs I have lined up will need closer contact than I'll feel comfortable with given the current crisis.

I hope we`ve done enough to cushion the current exponential increases, and if not there is enough treatment available

Not even close to being enough.

China, Vietnam have done enough, the western world no.

Look at the remarkable results Vietnam has had by nipping it in the bud.
VIETNAM: Updated until 11:45 on March 21, 2020
Death: 0
Number of infected cases:

In particular, the total number of recovery cases is 17 :

- 16 people infected with COVID-19 from January 23 to February 13 were cured completely (stage 1).

- 01 patient with COVID-19 from March 6 to March 20 is cured (phase 2)

https://ncov.moh.gov.vn/

The western world has mostly been to soft and undisciplined.
Mass gathering, shopping centres, football games and today a couple of cruise ships in Sydney and oh......did anyone mention self isolation?

Coronavirus: thousands who left cruise ship in Sydney told to self-isolate after three people test positive
Authorities fear that passengers from Ruby Princess might be unaware Covid-19 cases were onboard and be ‘wandering around’ city

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...self-isolate-after-three-people-test-positive

Last edited:
Well, a perfect day on the water here today. Clear sky, light wind & temp 28°C.

Simi
I know where you are, but have only ever taken the RIB in there. I'm a bit to the north where its never that crowded. I will go back to my marina late next week to collect a range of stuff before coming back out here somewhere. I have not yet decided for how long, but likely a few weeks. I doubt you will haul out next month. That's about 2 lifetimes away, CV time.

There are some suggestions the panic buying is winding down. But panic actions by the Qld government are just starting to wind up. They are really hopeless compared to other States. Latest stats suggest something around 3.5 days for Australia's doubling rate. Better than some, but not good. So I'm expecting the total cases will trigger a full lock down before Easter, which is why I suggest you will be unlikely to haul out.

The one good thing we have up here is a very good, pragmatic Chief Health Officer in Dr Jeannette Young. Over the years she has been right on the money with everything, and I am hopeful that behind th scenes our hospitals are getting well prepared. Our medical advisors were unable to stop the new Townsville Stadium's opening match having spectators, and we appear to have dodged a bullet from that. A really stupid political decision by the Premier to insist it proceed, and drag a bunch of people from the SE up to the event with her. For those in the US lamenting patchy and often inadequate leadership, we have a bit of it down here too.

You would likely have been too far south to notice, but the Pacific Dawn just came past heading into port. Its a P&O vessel. It tends to do local relatively short SW Pacific cruises. On March 14 they announced a 30 day voluntary ban on cruises, but perhaps they wanted to fully complete the ones already in progress, a little detail not in their announcement? They are saying restart on 14 April, but I can't see that happening. Indicating future cruise credit or refund for cruises in the closure window.

Last edited:
Well, a perfect day on the water here today. Clear sky, light wind & temp 28°C.

Simi
I know where you are, but have only ever taken the RIB in there. .

Damn, and I turned off AIS at least 24 hours ago

I'm a bit to the north where its never that crowded.
Plenty of pink dots around you ;)
Or maybe :eek:

I will go back to my marina late next week to collect a range of stuff before coming back out here somewhere. I have not yet decided for how long, but likely a few weeks.
load her up, no REAL rush to get back is there?
doubt you will haul out next month. That's about 2 lifetimes away, CV time
Funnily enough, boat works have come back and offered us a great deal for 2 weeks only.
Might try and get out next week if I can get other trades lined up.

Lots more stuff
Yep, have seen "business as usual/zero fks given" cruise lines and agree with the rest as well.

Stay safe

Last edited:
Sitting all on our lonesome in a deep hole only accessible at high tide surrounded by sandbanks with 4 tonne of water, 4 tonne of diesel and 3 maybe 4 mths of supplies on board....Watching turtles and dugongs while drinking an icy cold Royal Dutch Post Horn and contemplating if to have a martini next. Just another day, just like any other.

Yeah, Simi, it's a hard job, but someone has to do it, right..?
I suspect from what you and Brian said, you're in the blue hole. Getting plenty of whiting..? I tend to agree with Brian. Put off the bottom and maintenance thing for a bit if possible, although, that said, things are probably not going to change much for months, and the yard is offering 'deals' because business is slow. Just be careful.

I am not on the boat, at the moment. Yesterday, I bought 2 cases of MREs, 14 meals per case. These shall remain in Atlanta unless I drive back to FL from ATL I have also stocked up on perishables....
The only things I need at home are alcohol wipes and masks.
On the boat, I need meat, alcohol wipes and masks.
I am beginning to see the benefit of maintaining a variety of canned goods. Canned meat and canned fish and canned fruit may not be the best option but, better than not eating.
Worse comes to worse..... we will be reminded of the term "short rations."
I am far from doom and gloom.... just being a bit cautious.
I am pretty well set, for a month, both on the boat and at home. I hope.
Please, everyone be cautious, remain healthy and be safe.
Side note: friend of mine has a gun store/shooting range in an area heavily populated by Asian. The Asian's are buying lots of guns because they are afraid folks will come, break in and take all their food etc. What would I do with a stolen 25# bag of rice.
The interesting part is, they buy the guns and ammo then leave without practicing.
Another gun store, "by appointment only" for buying and/or practicing. So much for impulse buying.

Last edited:
Yeah, Simi, it's a hard job, but someone has to do it, right..?
I suspect from what you and Brian said, you're in the blue hole. Getting plenty of whiting..?
Nope
A random hole several miles south of there amongst the banks out from straddie.
And yes, getting a feed.

I tend to agree with Brian. Put off the bottom and maintenance thing for a bit if possible, although, that said, things are probably not going to change much for months, and the yard is offering 'deals' because business is slow
But being timber, I don't want to push things to far.
Thinking get in sooner because later is when exactly?

Upside is if it goes zombie appocolyse I can run a travel lift and block the boat myself (yippee, free travel lift and hardstand) but I really do not want to sand antifouling.
Do you think I can train zombies to sand and paint?

Just be careful.
Always

Last edited:
Will be heading North with the boat around the 1st. So provisioning and precruise checks are underway. Its usually a 3 week trip and I like to eat out every few days. Between reduced dining out and spotty grocery shelves, provisioning needs to be more complete. Lots to think about.

Ted

Lots of spare time. Now I have NO excuse for not cleaning the engine room bilges.

Last edited:
Thank you for that little reality check. Time to put down Betty Crocker and do some learnin'.

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Thank you for that little reality check. Time to put down Betty Crocker and do some learnin'.

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Yep, otherwise known as the China Virus, because of it’s origin.

Yep, otherwise known as the China Virus, because of it’s origin.

Yep, just like the Swine Flu was called the American Flu.

Oh wait ...

And for those that may have forgotten;

"In April 2009, H1N1, also known as Swine Flu, broke out and quickly spread to more than 150 countries. The CDC reported that between April and October, 22 million Americans had contracted the virus, 98,000 required hospitalization, and about 3,900 people died from H1N1-related causes. The WHO estimated that the final death toll worldwide ending up reaching nearly 300,000."

Last edited:
I am mostly retired so have made it completely retired for the duration. I don't really know if I can call it voluntary isolation anymore, it has been pretty much forced upon us. I am 100% on board anyway. In the last two weeks I was face to face with only two people, a clerk in a cheese store and a farmer selling shell corn.

In Northern Wisconsin I am keeping busy collecting and cooking maple sap. I also need to empty my freezer of about five years of frozen blackberries and make jam. After that I should be down to the marina.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom