Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We travel 1,700 miles from CT to FL and then the same distance back each year. The trip can take 3 to 5 weeks depending on where we decide to stop to visit friends and family or sight see. We anchor virtually all the time.

Why? It's easier than docking, tying up, and plugging in. It gives us privacy, it provides beautiful scenery, it's fun to explore in the dinghy, we can fire up the BBQ, and in the morning when we want to leave at first light we simply pull the hook and we're off. Oh yeah, it saves some money too. YMMV
When you stop to visit friends and family or sight see, do you still anchor?

Sight seeing and enjoying amenities like entertainment and restaurants would be primary reasons we use marinas.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
May not matter if you pick a good anchorage and dingy access.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
May not matter if you pick a good anchorage and dingy access.
Easier to come and go from the dock, so sight see, return to boat, go to dinner. Also, anchorage and dinghy becomes less convenient as number of people increases. Many here cruise with one or two people aboard. That's less than 5% of our cruising.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #24
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Easier to come and go from the dock, so sight see, return to boat, go to dinner. Also, anchorage and dinghy becomes less convenient as number of people increases. Many here cruise with one or two people aboard. That's less than 5% of our cruising.
Same with us - lots of friends and family - and we love having them Already have a Google calendar set up for the Loop But we do plan on anchoring out a lot on the Loop - no option in many areas.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I anchor out most of the time when cruising and rarely find power boats in the majority. That said I think most of the time the ratio is less than 4:1. Interestingly, when I migrate North or South during Snowbird, the ratio seems to be maybe 2:1 (vessels underway).

Ted
We need a mathematician to run some calculas on your observation. At your cruising speed the fast guys are overtaking you at a higher rate than the sailboat you encounter. Just pulled that out of my butt Ted. Cheers.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #26

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
You see a lot of smaller boats too, a lot of sailboats too, that are seldom used. Two primary reasons. With some owners, they simply lack the passion for boating they anticipated. With other owners, they simply lack the time and energy. Both spouses work and kids have so many interests. With two weeks vacation per year the norm and three or four less common, when is one going to boat. Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

In the US, leisure time is not as readily available as elsewhere in the world and it's not made the same priority. An executive in Europe for a major company will plan next summer I'm going to spend the first two weeks of June cruising with family, leave them and then return to the boat the last two weeks of July. In the US, the similar executive simply can not plan and keep their plans that far in advance.
this particular area of Florida is home to 90% retirees, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you say... A lack of passion for boating
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
this particular area of Florida is home to 90% retirees, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you say... A lack of passion for boating
Wifey B: You see a lot of people who buy boats based on hopes and fantasy but just not really boaters.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings.
You also see retirees that are becoming less able to boat for various reasons.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
When you stop to visit friends and family or sight see, do you still anchor?

Sight seeing and enjoying amenities like entertainment and restaurants would be primary reasons we use marinas.
When we stop to visit friends and family we most often stay at a marina. For sightseeing it depends on where we are stopping. Our favorite restaurant along the way is at a marina so we stop there too. As said before we do prefer to anchor out.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
... Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

In the US, leisure time is not as readily available as elsewhere in the world and it's not made the same priority. An executive in Europe for a major company will plan next summer I'm going to spend the first two weeks of June cruising with family, leave them and then return to the boat the last two weeks of July. In the US, the similar executive simply can not plan and keep their plans that far in advance.
But most executives that have large yachts probably have clever tax accountants that manage to claim that the "boss" is working while on board and the boat is just another business expense (office space, entertaining clients, business meetings, etc.) and are able to write a lot of it off. The two weeks cruising with the family is the only part he actually has to pay for (and maybe not even that).
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
But most executives that have large yachts probably have clever tax accountants that manage to claim that the "boss" is working while on board and the boat is just another business expense (office space, entertaining clients, business meetings, etc.) and are able to write a lot of it off. The two weeks cruising with the family is the only part he actually has to pay for (and maybe not even that).
I am sure some are but I think you'd be shocked how rare that is today. They know that this is an area carefully reviewed and a pet peeve of IRS agents. They also know that if questionable practices on yachts are shown then a lot of other detail to be reexamined. The entertainment deductions are way down over what you saw 30 years ago. Not to get into all the details and complications but the rules have changed dramatically including those for allocating expenses.

Examination of all travel and entertainment is a very strong focus of audits and of programs to push returns for review. Then when you toss in private planes or boats, only gets worse. I know someone in South Florida who was sold a bill of goods on tax accounting by a yacht broker. His accountant refused to agree to it. He fired his accountant, found one who would, took the deduction, got audited, lost and substantial penalties. Initially IRS said "attempt to defraud" rather than just claiming erroneous deduction but settled for just normal underpayment penalties and interest.

The other area to be careful is what charter brokers try to sell on setting up charter businesses. It often takes several years for those to backfire but then they go back and look at prior years. They also do that on the entertainment and business deductions discussed above. So, the real risk is you get audited, you lose the deduction going years back and pay the penalties which are quite high for the old years.

And, for the record, we do some work on our boats, we attend meetings by web cam sometimes, and many of our guests are employees, and we don't take a tax deduction at all. We could take some if we chose, but the reality is it's for pleasure and the business aspect is for our convenience. We have no space that is solely business and to split out the communications would be a major task for a little savings.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #32
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
A bit off topic, but can anyone tell me what and where are the tender docks in Lake Worth? Can I just putt up to Rybovich, tie up and hop into a Lyft? Lol

We are currently at the PB yacht club, but plan on anchoring next time through.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
A bit off topic, but can anyone tell me what and where are the tender docks in Lake Worth? Can I just putt up to Rybovich, tie up and hop into a Lyft? Lol

I know Palm Beach City Dock and I believe Riviera Beach City Dock.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #34
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

The anchorage is at the north end of the lake. Most people putt up to the little bridge and tie off, thence a block or so to the Publix. I suppose you could wangle tie up at Old Port Cove (nice place) marina, and go from there as well; call'em and find out.

A lot of boats anchor off Peanut Island near the inlet, mostly day trippers; I never could find a spot there that was attractive or accessible with our Hatteras 56MY. And you WILL get waked.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I am currently anchored in key West harbor. Sailboats out number me maybe. 20 to 1 here
Most if tge board you see anchored in Key West Harbor are liveaboard boats. Housing in the Keys is outrageously expensive. Liveaboard boats are the only affordable alternative!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Fredonia
Vessel Name: SEA FOX
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship Trawler
I like the idea of having the power to get off the water fast and to safety if need be.
Bill The kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
We've cruised the ICW over a dozen times into Maine/Bay of Fundy three times, all the Canadian Canals, and the loop. We anchor out most of the time, going into marinas when we need to get water, replenish the larder, or visit the local sights; we need fuel about every 1200 miles or so. Once in awhile we're stuck in a marina in an area at a time of day when there are no anchorages readily available. Our cruising/trawler friends are of the same mind. We're set up to anchor. Based on experience, those trawlers or fast trawlers or other power boaters who prefer marinas do so because they're not set up to anchor out and need their electricity to cook and run AC, hot showers every night, restaurants, etc, and most importantly, more fuel. Sail boaters are generally more self-sufficient than power boaters, so that enters into the mix, also. Admittedly, I've tossed out a lot of generalities here!
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #38
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Poor people buy sailboats and head for warmer points south.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #39

We agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We travel 1,700 miles from CT to FL and then the same distance back each year. The trip can take 3 to 5 weeks depending on where we decide to stop to visit friends and family or sight see. We anchor virtually all the time.

Why? It's easier than docking, tying up, and plugging in. It gives us privacy, it provides beautiful scenery, it's fun to explore in the dinghy, we can fire up the BBQ, and in the morning when we want to leave at first light we simply pull the hook and we're off. Oh yeah, it saves some money too. YMMV
We have a 46 Grand Banks that we have cruised in full time pretty much since 1992. We totally agree with the advantages of anchoring when possible. We would spend months at a time anchored in the Southern Caribbean, Out islands of Venezuela and Colombia.

The funny thing about sail vs trawlers is we ALL leave and arrive on the same weather windows. Sailors don't want to get beat up any more than trawlers do.
Also, ask any truthful sailor and they "motorsail" more than 50% of the time. Full disclosure: we were sailors full time livaaboards and offshore sailors for 10 years before buying our Grand Banks.
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #40
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have towed a number of boats to safety over the years with my own boat, most being snailbots. BUT was that because they were more prone to failures, more prone to unprepared owners, or because there are so many more of them out there?

rgano is online now   Reply With Quote