SMARTPLUG with or without thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petdoc4u

Vessel Name
EXILE
Vessel Make
HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
As many know, ABYC frowned on the self resetting breaker found in the original smartplug with the incorporated thermostat. As a result the NT series smartplug receptacles no longer incorporate a thermostat. 2 questions;
1)do surveyors recommend the thermostat type smartplug receptacle be replaced with a non thermostat type smartplug receptacle?, and
2)if you,as a boat owner had a choice, which would you install?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
-David

While the Smart Plug isn't new, I don't see it being adopted yet. So I'll wait.

Ted

I'd be happy to buy thermostat-equipped if any NOS exists, or if anyone is replacing theirs with ABYC approved

I installed 2 of the 30 amp inlets and changed the ends on both cables. I like them alot. Much more contact area for the current to flow through. They are much easier to plug into the boat and my cables are not the most convenient to plug in on the boat end. I wish the current ones had the thermal sensors in them but they don't. As to them not being adopted, the only thing that is different is the boat end of the cable. The shore side is still the L5-30 plug so it works at any marinas. If the shore end causes a fire, at least it isn't on the boat. I don't see the marinas ever upgrading to the Smartplug system due to cost and the fact that there are millions of boats with the L5-30 on them.

Actually it seems like many marinas are upgrading to 50A 125/250 plugs as they are robust and boats are requiring more power than ever....

No need to go to smart plugs for those with wimpy 30A service (even X2), they make more money if they rent you a splitter like Charleston City Marina. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom