Small boats: less chain, bigger anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I respect Steves videos, in years of using a 60 pound Manson Supreme over12,000 cruising miles I have never had an issue with reversing currents or shifting winds in thunderstorms.

Some upwards of 2 knots...most boaters exaggerate current..... 2 knots is the highest daily normal, not storm, current in many anchorages from NJ to FL.

If it were more than 2 knots, I would have to ask why anchor there?

I suspect other reputable anchors don't have issues either.

Not that the test videos were faulty, just that Steve did his best to make them worst case scenarios.

I trust my home to my anchor, I was convinced it was inferior, I would change in a second.

Last edited:
Miz Trom... Thank you for the confidence however I believe I am not the best choice for anchor advice for your boat. Our boats are vastly different. Yours is much larger and windage will be an issue.

To stop/abate SOMEWHAT the swing referenced above by MurrayM you might also try taking a snubber to a cleat on the windward side about 1/3'rd of the way aft. I have read (NOT experienced as my boat does not have that problem) the offset snubber helps.

Look for folks with boats such as the Manatee, Grand Harbors, Florida Bays, etc. They are "your" compatible. I'm not.

However I am a strong advocate of all chain rodes. I have 150' of G4 (the strongest chain) aboard Seaweed. That was chosen because I normally put out 50' to 75'. When I had 100' of chain it wore out (got rusty) in the middle thus I had to get replace the chain.

This time I went with 150 figuring that I can end-for-end it and still have 75' of good chain. In a deeper anchorage I'm set too. Plus, finally, I have a very limited anchor locker. 150' of chain takes less room than line thus I have the longest I can fit aboard.

My advice is all chain. Use a chain counter to know how much is out. Also paint the chain.

Measure the to the waterline, then up to the windlass drop down hole. Add 3'.
Paint that chain white. Now you will know when your chain is almost up and if the anchor has sand or mud on it you can get underway (slowly) to let it rinse off. You'll also know when your anchor is almost up.

The paint WILL wear off. Paint several coats of the white.

Happy happy for you and your new boat. You're going to have so much fun!

"First of all the CQR anchor has an extensive rep for not setting."

Probably why they have been 1st or 2nd choice for world cruisers for over 5 -8 decades?

FF,
"rep" is an abreviation for reputation. This is not my opinion as I've never used one. But many many have testified to the dragging issue while setting. From all I've heard and read though they hold well when set well. In a 50 knot gale I've only had company once and one of the two other boats had a CQR anchor deployed. He did not drag that I could tell.

Hard to set but holds well is what the winds tell me.

"But many many have testified to the dragging issue while setting"

Yes they need 20-30 ft to bury and hold, unlike a Danforth that will do it in a few ft.

Most cruisers understand the operation of their ground tackle and plan for that boat length on setting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom