Old 01-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Oh lets see - new generator, new generator exhaust hose, new belts & all hoses for our two Lehman 135's (heat exchangers and oil coolers replaced by PO), new Reverso manifold for the oil change system, new plotter, new hand held VHF, 4 new auto inflatable pfds - and we are just getting started, on our new to us 30 yr old boat A friend at church today asked if the boat had become a 'money pit' yet - I replied 'a boat is a money pit the day you purchase it, new or used'

Forgot to add: stripping and varnishing the handrails (only uncovered teak on the boat), refinishing wing and salon doors on the sundeck - thankfully the teak deck and caulking are in great shape.

FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
This year is a smaller than usual list. I am refinishing our teak deck on our sundeck. I am almost done reefing out the 600’ of old caulking. Then on to sanding the grooves and recaulking. Then sanding the deck and oiling it. A PO had 2 places in the deck recored. Unfortunately they did not glass over the joint around the deck fiberglass so the putty they used to fill the gap is cracking. I have to grind off the finish and grind for a couple of layers of 1708 around the repairs and then refinish the decks. I have a crack in a deck hatch frame that needs repairing and then paint the frame with 2 part poly paint. We are also going from varnish on the handrails around the sundeck to painted rails. My wife is working on getting the rails down to wood in prep for the new paint. So far this winter hasn’t been too bad as to temperature. Have not had to fire up the propane heater yet, but that will probably happen this week.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
14 out of 35 completed. Some simple, like applying the Reobic drain cleaner or lubricating the zippers, some more involved, like sanding and varnishing the rails and name plates or adding a wash down on the foredeck. Some done by me, some by my electronics guy, and some by my mechanic.

How are you guys doing?
Wait, what?? We are still finishing last season’s project list!! How do we know when it becomes “next” season’s list? Or......is it not a “season” list at all but an ongoing never ending list of stuff we want to do mixed in with stuff that needs doing occasionally?
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Wait, what?? We are still finishing last season’s project list!! How do we know when it becomes “next” season’s list? Or......is it not a “season” list at all but an ongoing never ending list of stuff we want to do mixed in with stuff that needs doing occasionally?
For us, come spring and we head to the Bahamas. Then it's cruising time and no more projects, just fix what comes up that is necessary. From then on everything else goes on a new list for next winter.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
1. Wash Boat - in n' out.
2. Launch tow-behind.
3. Short tie tow-behind on transom.
4. Start/warm-up engines.
5. Leave dock.
6. Let tow line out further.
7. Cruise
8. Anchor
9. Swim - Visit and gunkhole in tow behind - BBQ good food - Swim - Repeat!!!

Usually about the same every year!

Tollycraft is most carefree boat I've ever experienced in six [6] plus decades of marine doings.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
1. Wash Boat - in n' out.
2. Launch tow-behind.
3. Short tie tow-behind on transom.
4. Start/warm-up engines.
5. Leave dock.
6. Let tow line out further.
7. Cruise
8. Anchor
9. Swim - Visit and gunkhole in tow behind - BBQ good food - Swim - Repeat!!!

Usually about the same every year!

Tollycraft is most carefree boat I've ever experienced in six [6] plus decades of marine doings.
I hope you touched a piece of wood - and/or your head!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:
I hope you touched a piece of wood - and/or your head!
"O" [zero] exterior wood on our a well fiber glassed 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin; [except for four 3/4" x 2" x 36" white painted wood trims on door sides and a thin wood mast - yes, they should be painted this year... maybe will do!].

Much wood in my owm head though... do have knock dents on both sides!

I do most maintenance stuff on mechanicals/electrics/anodes and fun stuff etc while at anchor. Little bit here, little bit there! Have yard mechanics do some items... from time to time.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
Guru

What year?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Just came home today after a couple days out fishing. One night on San Pablo Bay (solo w/ no night fishing) and one on Montezuma Slough with Giggitoni in his GB42. Had great wx conditions but too much grass to fish after the storms.

One half mile from our planned overnight anchorage, my port engine temp headed toward 200. I had been watching it all weekend since it was steaming more than normal, but all temps were normal. It was a regular exercise to check the temp, check the flow...check the temp, check the flow...
A check of the water flow when it spiked confirmed the worse...nothing! A quick shutdown and single engine anchoring followed.

A brief (15-20 min) look at the impeller confirmed it was fine. The next item, the oil/tranny coolers, were just replaced several months ago and since the impeller was whole, I knew it had no fragments blocking flow. Next down the line...I just finished the having a radiator shop clean the HX a few months ago but it now, apparently, it needs to come back out to get to the manifold. I knew I was living on borrowed time...it's been expected for a while.

So I came home single engine against up to 3 kts of current.

So my list only has one item...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0006.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	84472  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #30
Guru

What exactly do you think the manifold issue is re water blockage?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
What year?
You mean what's stated in first sentence of post # 27?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You mean what's stated in first sentence of post # 27?
Yes.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Just came home today after a couple days out fishing. One night on San Pablo Bay (solo w/ no night fishing) and one on Montezuma Slough with Giggitoni in his GB42. Had great wx conditions but too much grass to fish after the storms.

One half mile from our planned overnight anchorage, my port engine temp headed toward 200. I had been watching it all weekend since it was steaming more than normal, but all temps were normal. It was a regular exercise to check the temp, check the flow...check the temp, check the flow...
A check of the water flow when it spiked confirmed the worse...nothing! A quick shutdown and single engine anchoring followed.

A brief (15-20 min) look at the impeller confirmed it was fine. The next item, the oil/tranny coolers, were just replaced several months ago and since the impeller was whole, I knew it had no fragments blocking flow. Next down the line...I just finished the having a radiator shop clean the HX a few months ago but it now, apparently, it needs to come back out to get to the manifold. I knew I was living on borrowed time...it's been expected for a while.

So I came home single engine against up to 3 kts of current.

So my list only has one item...
One Important Point in Fact - For Twins!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
What exactly do you think the manifold issue is re water blockage?
In all honesty...delayed maintenance. I already replaced the stbd manifold years ago. All the other components of the port cooling system were serviced or replaced but I was still watching the big ticket item...the port manifold.

Just trying to spread out the expenses. Now I'm there.

It's nice having twins to allow some flexibility with safety for the budget conscious.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #35
Guru

But what exactly is the issue with the manifold?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #36
TF Site Team

If it's anything like the other side, it's becoming restricted and needs replacement. That's what happens to manifolds.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #37

City: Wickford, RI
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We're hauled out this winter, living in a rented dirt home for the first time in 3+ year's. Yuck.

Luckily this allows us to not have to put the tools away so we can make dinner or sleep in the bed. Not that we have that many projects. Mostly just taking care of all those small projects in case we sell it in the spring. General maintenance, of course, as well: new bottom paint, zincs, impellers, the generator hx got a cleaning and painting, we'll finally put that new nonskid in the cockpit once it warms a little, and I have a scupper and a hatch that need to be re sealed after last season.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
What did the galvanizers say about doing the chain?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What did the galvanizers say about doing the chain?
They do the separating with hammers. I took the anchor and chain up last Tuesday and looked at a completed anchor chain sitting on a pallet, looked great, though brighter than I was expecting. There was another anchor chain on a pallet beside it, waiting to be done. They said seven days so expecting a call today or tomorrow. Will let you know.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
They do the separating with hammers. I took the anchor and chain up last Tuesday and looked at a completed anchor chain sitting on a pallet, looked great, though brighter than I was expecting. There was another anchor chain on a pallet beside it, waiting to be done. They said seven days so expecting a call today or tomorrow. Will let you know.
Thanks. Yup, the chain never will better than when you get it back.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote