Old 08-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #1

City: Belleview
Slowing down

New to TF as of yesterday and enjoying it thus far- not as testy as some others! LOL
So, I just turned 60 recently and the wife and I starting to appreciate things at a little slower pace and more in the shade, so I’m thinking of selling my center console and looking at trailerable trawlers. I live in central Florida, about 1 1/2 hours drive to either GOM or Atlantic. We’re looking forward to multi day trips up or down the ICW and staying onboard instead of doing the hotel thing- marina life is much more relaxing.

Two of the boats I’m considering are kinda polar opposites but with enough similarities- Rosborough 246 Yarmouth and Ranger R-25. Not interested in inboards, or any bigger or heavier. Im considering buying fairly low hours if possible, but open to brand new as well. Open to similar brands/models as long as they do the same basic things.

One custom factory order/no distributors or inventory, older school hull that's heavier, not as appointed stock, scarce used and looking like about 25% more expensive but oozes quality from what I can see online. Versus a relatively mass produced, 1000# lighter, newer generation, well packaged up stock and a depth of inventory to choose from. (And I’m trying to ignore that cracked hull R-27 story and chalking it up to being dropped)

I’d love to hear from those with personal experience with either, and especially someone who may have spent time on both and any standout differentiating features I may have missed. I really like the doors on the sides of the 246, and the transom door on the R-25 is better than the optional notch on the RF. I like the simplistic alloy bracket on some 246s, but the R25s seems more user friendly albeit slightly cheesy, to use a term. And then there’s that 1000k of glass I presume in the Rosborough…
Oh, and regarding towability. Current tow rig is a 2018 F150 3.5 eco boost with max tow package “rated” for 13k*. It handles my 5k or so CC and trailer very well and accelerates with ease, and stops fine without EOH. But I know I’m looking at 3-4K more and may be pushing the safe limits- might be looking at EOH on the trailer and moving up to a 250 if need be.
Thanks for hanging on there and considering this lengthy first post, and thanks in advance for any insights and input
Noclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. I don’t have any experience with those boats but I have done extensive trailering for personal boating and also as a professional boat mover, but quite a while back. You can never go wrong with a heavier duty tow vehicle. The 150 MAY work ok until things turn to poop. Then it will be much nicer and safer using the 250 or even a 350 dually. The dually will have much more stability due to the 4 rear wheel resisting side to side movement. Also the 1 ton brakes are nice in an emergency. Good luck and have fun searching for the new boat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
My daughters father in law pulls a 28 ft Groverbuilt from NJ to the FL Keys every year round trip with the same F150 EB truck. No issues at all. He traded in his beloved 7.3L diesel and likes the EB better. Fl is flat except for overpasses so keep what you have unless it’s not enough.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
New to TF as of yesterday and enjoying it thus far- not as testy as some others! LOL
So, I just turned 60 recently and the wife and I starting to appreciate things at a little slower pace and more in the shade, so I’m thinking of selling my center console and looking at trailerable trawlers. I live in central Florida, about 1 1/2 hours drive to either GOM or Atlantic. We’re looking forward to multi day trips up or down the ICW and staying onboard instead of doing the hotel thing- marina life is much more relaxing.

Two of the boats I’m considering are kinda polar opposites but with enough similarities- Rosborough 246 Yarmouth and Ranger R-25. Not interested in inboards, or any bigger or heavier. Im considering buying fairly low hours if possible, but open to brand new as well. Open to similar brands/models as long as they do the same basic things.

One custom factory order/no distributors or inventory, older school hull that's heavier, not as appointed stock, scarce used and looking like about 25% more expensive but oozes quality from what I can see online. Versus a relatively mass produced, 1000# lighter, newer generation, well packaged up stock and a depth of inventory to choose from. (And I’m trying to ignore that cracked hull R-27 story and chalking it up to being dropped)

I’d love to hear from those with personal experience with either, and especially someone who may have spent time on both and any standout differentiating features I may have missed. I really like the doors on the sides of the 246, and the transom door on the R-25 is better than the optional notch on the RF. I like the simplistic alloy bracket on some 246s, but the R25s seems more user friendly albeit slightly cheesy, to use a term. And then there’s that 1000k of glass I presume in the Rosborough…
Oh, and regarding towability. Current tow rig is a 2018 F150 3.5 eco boost with max tow package “rated” for 13k*. It handles my 5k or so CC and trailer very well and accelerates with ease, and stops fine without EOH. But I know I’m looking at 3-4K more and may be pushing the safe limits- might be looking at EOH on the trailer and moving up to a 250 if need be.
Thanks for hanging on there and considering this lengthy first post, and thanks in advance for any insights and input
I've seen these boats at shows the last couple years and for a small boat they appear well-built and reasonably priced. I don't know a lot about them other than I liked them when I was on them and talked to owners of the company. Got the impression they really care about their customers and produce a lower volume than say Ranger for instance. They welcome people to tour their factory and are open to reasonable custom requests. They seem proud of the boats they build. They may not be as widely known or popular, but might fit your needs. Give them a look at https://www.easternboats.com/
Old 08-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks for that backinblue. Yea they look good but don’t have an enclosed cabin like the Rossi or R-25.
There’s C-Dory 25 and 26, Cutwater C24c, Jeanneau MC 795, and Beneteau Anteres 7 that fit that of enclosed at this size bill, but what else might I be overlooking?
Old 08-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
you may be looking exclusively at newer boats, but there are reasons the market for Albin-25's built over 40 years ago is still strong. I tow the one appearing in the avatar at left with a 1993 Dodge diesel anywhere in N America.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Thanks for that backinblue. Yea they look good but don’t have an enclosed cabin like the Rossi or R-25.
There’s C-Dory 25 and 26, Cutwater C24c, Jeanneau MC 795, and Beneteau Anteres 7 that fit that of enclosed at this size bill, but what else might I be overlooking?
I've always liked the SeaSport I think 26 or 27.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
R U going to want air conditioning? I don't live far away and the two seasons here seem to need some sort of modifications to support life.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
R U going to want air conditioning? I don't live far away and the two seasons here seem to need some sort of modifications to support life.
Yes on the AC. Pondered the berth only having it, but it sure would be nice if the whole cabin did.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #10

Diver Dave - thanks for that suggestion. They look like C-Dory’s working cousin. Wish their website could have been updated within the last 20 years though LOL
Old 08-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #11

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
My personal take on the Ranger/Cutwater boats is that I always love to look at them at the boat show, but I feel that they try and pack way too much into too small a boat, and I think they would be a maintenance nightmare if you plan to keep it long term. Too many sinks, too much hardware bolted through the deck, etc. I have never been on a Rosborough 246, but they look sweet in pictures on the internet.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Not sure I understand. Did you look at all their models? This one has an enclosed cabin and hardtop enclosed cockpit in an easily trailerable size. Maybe I'm misunderstanding someing, I apologize. Sturdy looking boats to me.

https://www.easternboats.com/248-explorer
Old 08-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #13

Yes Eastern seems very legit indeed and actually build the Rossi as well. But the Explorer however isn't enclosed on the stern end of the cabin like the others I mentioned. It and the Islander which also caught my eye can be enclosed but only with isinglass/canvas. I'd prefer a cockpit door and glass windows back there so air conditioning the salon would be more efficient.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Yes Eastern seems very legit indeed and actually build the Rossi as well. But the Explorer however isn't enclosed on the stern end of the cabin like the others I mentioned. It and the Islander which also caught my eye can be enclosed but only with isinglass/canvas. I'd prefer a cockpit door and glass windows back there so air conditioning the salon would be more efficient.
OK now I understand what you're saying. I don't know of many boats in that size range with a fully hard-enclosed helm. Cabin and helm are not the same and generally have separate AC units. I'm pretty sure there is a hard cabin door, but to enclose the helm you'd need canvass.
Do you plan on running AC while cruising, ie a generator? My boat has AC in the cabin but not the helm, but even if it did, the canvas enclosure would probably do ok. I normally only need AC for sleeping on a very hot night.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #15

Na, no AC while cruising, but at the dock via shore power for sure, and on the hook via portable generator, hopefully.
The Ranger sales guy says that with a lithium battery bank set up the AC could run at cruise, but I have my doubts, between cooling water pick up and alternator being able to keep up with the batter drain. Boats this size don't have a built in gen set either, but again AC at cruise is not a concern.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Running the AC under way would only be a concern of having enough alternator output and a big enough inverter. If the cooling water pickup is placed properly it should have no problem drawing water while moving. I know my ACs will draw water just fine while moving, even up on plane.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote