Old 06-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Is there an inline strainer? Mine requires cleaning after a couple months of use. It's an easy 5 minute job.

Before installing the strainer, I found I was fouling my pump so bad with shower gunk that I'd have to open it up and clean the pump valves. After installing the strainer, no problems with the pump.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Think about how a bar of soap gets gooey/sticky if it sits in some water. It's not a perfect cure, but IMO liquid soap is less likely to goop-up in your sump.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #23

City: Ft Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Kava Kava
Vessel Model: Sealine 420 Statesman
Agree. Our shower drain had minimal slope to the top of the sump box. Removed the box and put a run dry Jabsco pump lower in the bilge. Problem solved.
truant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #24

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Bestway ‘45
Helping gravity a bit made my shower drain3x faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yes it did. Helped a little.
I had similar problem (1988 Bestway). An old salt friend suggested I replace the drain line with slightly smaller clear, smooth tubing (not wire-wound hose) and leave a coil or two of extra tuning in place. Sure enough, shower drain works sorta like a landslide toilet, with the water flowing down the tubing creating suction behind it and acting as a siphon. It gurgles a bit every 5 or 10 seconds and acts like there is a shop vac in the sump. That was ten years and 2 daughters with long hair that felt it necessary to shampoo a couple of times a day. I have to clean out the sump still, but have had zero issues with drain since then.

-Greg
Thermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #25

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Barefoot
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
I have had a similar problem , and i took the water hose from the dock and sprayed it through my drain ,you won't belive what came out. works perfect now. I also do my galley and head sink and scuppers to keep them clean.
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:20 AM   #26
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I have had a similar problem , and i took the water hose from the dock and sprayed it through my drain ,you won't belive what came out. works perfect now. I also do my galley and head sink and scuppers to keep them clean.
Barefoot, I recently experienced a near complete blockage of my galley drain. I removed the hose from the PVC connection point and used hot water from the drain on my hot water heater to shoot into the hose. Nope. All that happened was that pressure built up until it came right back at me. What a mess. Not until I took everything apart, including the PVC connection plumbing, did I find masses of a white, gooey substance that had almost fully occluded the hose and PVC where they connected. High pressure hot water did not push this mass through. That drain had been slow since owning the boat for 7 years and living aboard for 5 years. Anyway, I removed the goo and now the galley and interconnected head sinks drains well.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:35 AM   #27

City: Cairns
Check the drop on your pipes and hoses. Do they actually run down hill? I'm not being a smart a$$: mine don't and the shower water is expected to run uphill before exiting. This slows the flow and makes a awful gargling noise for a few hours after a shower.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:03 AM   #28

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Think about how a bar of soap gets gooey/sticky if it sits in some water. It's not a perfect cure, but IMO liquid soap is less likely to goop-up in your sump.
Not only will body wash/liquid soaps help in the shower sump and drains, it also lessens accumulated soap scum on the glass shower doors as well.
One minute with a squeegee on the vertical shower walls is also a great option to keep the space cleaner and drier.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
Not only will body wash/liquid soaps help in the shower sump and drains, it also lessens accumulated soap scum on the glass shower doors as well.
One minute with a squeegee on the vertical shower walls is also a great option to keep the space cleaner and drier.
Clean with rain-x occasionally and squeegee works even better.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #30
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Six years ago I cleaned the shower sump(s) for the last time. It was up there with my least favorite jobs. I purchased a Whale Gulper pump and took the hose from into the sump and connected it to the Gulper pump and the overboard discharge to the output side of the Gulper eliminating the sump entirely. I wired it to a simple on off switch. One of the best improvements I've made. No more cleaning. It pumps out soap, hair, and maybe even pebbles and it can run dry. FYI: https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...yID=Gulper-220
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Six years ago I cleaned the shower sump(s) for the last time. It was up there with my least favorite jobs. I purchased a Whale Gulper pump and took the hose from into the sump and connected it to the Gulper pump and the overboard discharge to the output side of the Gulper eliminating the sump entirely. I wired it to a simple on off switch. One of the best improvements I've made. No more cleaning. It pumps out soap, hair, and maybe even pebbles and it can run dry. FYI: https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...yID=Gulper-220
That looks like a great idea. Wonder why boats aren't built this way instead of a sump in the first place.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #32

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Thanks for the link, this looks like an interesting option
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
The Gulper is an excellent solution for this "final solution," and I have found it can be used with a float switch on a sump which combines the periodic air conditioner and shower drains.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
Agreed! I've been doing that on FlyWright for 14 years and have never had mold soap scum issues...and I take daily showers when aboard.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #35

I have connected a garden hose to the shower drain and packed it with a rag to seal then applied water pressure to the drain with good results.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote