Slip-sliding away...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In hindsight... no kidding!

Get well John! Your calamity is [should darn well be] a wake up to us all. Thank you for sharing.

I know that this thread has put me on a much sharper-key for cautionary actions each time hereafter we launch our tow behind runabout. It's too easy to become complacent on such a seemingly no-brainer action such as launching off a ramp.

Again thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Get well John! Your calamity is [should darn well be] a wake up to us all. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, Art. Passing along a caution was the general idea. ...and general sharing.

They're great, I've had at least a dozen over the years. Eventually they become 'bilge shoes' or get used when painting. Since I've had years of ankle problems I never put things to an excessive test when it comes to footing. All I can say is they don't slip for me, are comfortable right-out-of-the-box and are great for wearing all day. Wore a pair to the recent Annapolis boat shows and it wasn't my feet that were tired.

I doubt any kind of reasonable boat-ish shoe would help with a slimy boat ramp.

I doubt any kind of reasonable boat-ish shoe would help with a slimy boat ramp.

I grew up in Illinois. Harsh winters with icy sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots. This ramp was worse. Partially because it is on a slope and iced sidewalks typically aren't. Also, partially because it was low tide and that section of the concrete ramp is never exposed to air to dry out. And partially because the water right there is nasty.

Good to know about those shoes, though.

Get well soon !
One thing I do to prevent water termination of my cell phone ( I have lost 3) is to put my phone into a zip lock bag when I am going to a launch ramp regardless of tide level.
Leave a little air in the bag as you put it in your jacket pocket. There will be a time it finds its way out and into the water, guaranteed, it will float as you recover your dignity.
watch for infection.

Get well soon !
One thing I do to prevent water termination of my cell phone ( I have lost 3) is to put my phone into a zip lock bag when I am going to a launch ramp regardless of tide level.
Leave a little air in the bag as you put it in your jacket pocket. There will be a time it finds its way out and into the water, guaranteed, it will float as you recover your dignity.
watch for infection.

That's a great tip! Will do that next time. Thanks.

I was initially more worried about the risk of infection in that nasty water. Wifey treated the cut with peroxide and neosporin. The ER gave me a tetanus booster and two antibiotics, which I completed. Foot seems to be fine.

...waiting on the MRI results about the knee. Doc thinks it's a torn meniscus.

Greetings,
Mr. JE. Get one of your northern contacts to send you down a pair of these slip, on ice gripers:

th

NOT kidding!

Last edited:
Hope you are still doing well.

One 0f the earlier posters mentioned watching the head. I recently was carrying two bags of groceries up the front (concrete) steps. Didnt pick up my foot on the top step, caught the toe and landed forehead first. Actually cracked the concrete porch. Hands were full and couldnt move fast enough to catch myself. (I am now putting in a vertical lift to the second story deck.) Xrays showed only damage was to my hand, where, with palm flat on porch, my right index finger was pointing straight up. Ouch, that hurts just mentioning it.

But, the good side was that the vertigo I have been suffering due to "rocks in my ears" is completely cured!!!!

BUT, it could have killed me hitting concrete with my head. As I have gotten older I now realize that my balance is not what it was when I was 25. As you age, you have to watch yourself.........or immigrate to Mars.

deja vu all over again

Well, buggers.

We trailered our dinghy over to the Seminole Boat Ramp in Clearwater, FL yesterday to go out for a little spin. Unfortunately, the ramp was extremely slimy. I slipped on the ramp, sliding further down into the water, scraped my shoulder, left a two inch cut on the bottom of my right foot, and wrenched my right knee. Overnight, it was badly swollen and stiff. And I needed to get a new phone, too. It was in my pocket when I went down into the water and now it is dead.

Just came back from the ER. Woke up about 2:00 am and knew the knee thing wasn’t a simple twist. X-Rays showed a fracture on the tibial plateau. However, the CT scan said otherwise. Doctor feels it is a torn ACL and referred me to an Ortho. Will call tomorrow to set up the appointment. Gave me a tetanus shot and two antibiotics for the cut on my foot and a leg brace and crutches for the knee issue. The Ortho will probably want an MRI. It’ll be interesting to see if there are any ligament tears.

And replaced my trusty-but-waterlogged iPhone 6 with a the new iPhone Xs.

Ugh.

Be careful on those ramps out there!

did the same 5 years ago in naples on city boatramp. wrenched an already damaged rotator cuff and spent a month with my wife helping me shower (so all news is not bad......) will NEVER try to launch or retrieve without both hands on the gunnel - will you wind the crank ?
heal well !
:)

Well, buggers.

We trailered our dinghy over to the Seminole Boat Ramp in Clearwater, FL yesterday to go out for a little spin. Unfortunately, the ramp was extremely slimy. I slipped on the ramp, sliding further down into the water, scraped my shoulder, left a two inch cut on the bottom of my right foot, and wrenched my right knee. Overnight, it was badly swollen and stiff. And I needed to get a new phone, too. It was in my pocket when I went down into the water and now it is dead.

Just came back from the ER. Woke up about 2:00 am and knew the knee thing wasn’t a simple twist. X-Rays showed a fracture on the tibial plateau. However, the CT scan said otherwise. Doctor feels it is a torn ACL and referred me to an Ortho. Will call tomorrow to set up the appointment. Gave me a tetanus shot and two antibiotics for the cut on my foot and a leg brace and crutches for the knee issue. The Ortho will probably want an MRI. It’ll be interesting to see if there are any ligament tears.

And replaced my trusty-but-waterlogged iPhone 6 with a the new iPhone Xs.

Ugh.

Be careful on those ramps out there!

I'm an old time seaplane pilot. I can attest to how slippery ramps can be! It's really difficult to command respect and demonstrate professionalism in the cockpit when you're covered in green slime and dripping wet! Get better! Take care! We all feel for you!

Well that sure put a damper on you cruise, sorry to hear it. Slimy boat ramps are slicker than snot!
Godspeed on a full recovery...

...and now for the rest of the story...

Met with the ortho yesterday to review the knee MRI results. No meniscus tear! There is a stress fracture at the top of the tibia and stretched ligaments bilaterally and on the back of the knee. It'll ache for a few months but will eventually heal without surgery. Not my first stress fracture so I kind of have an idea what to expect for recovery.

Still, I was kind of surprised to find out about the two other previous, long-ago-healed fractures in my tibias.

Back
Top Bottom