Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Western Massachusetts
Tug question

I know this is for trawlers mostly, but I was looking at an American Tug 485 - very impressive, and I was wondering how this kind of vessel would handle a crossing from Miami to the Bahamas?
john-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It would handle it very well. Remember that lots of people take very small boats to the Bahamas.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Most all here consider American Tugs as recreational trawlers. They are more trawler-like than most other boats owned by forum members.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-o View Post
I know this is for trawlers mostly, but I was looking at an American Tug 485 - very impressive, and I was wondering how this kind of vessel would handle a crossing from Miami to the Bahamas?
That would a great boat for the Bahamas. With the less than 5’ draft you’ll be fine and as with any boat (make) you have to watch the weather.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Western Massachusetts
Thank you all for your responses. Both my wife and I happen to see one of these and we were total taken by the craftsmanship and rugged construction. I am very deliberate in buying MADE IN AMERICA. I know other manufacturers all over the world make a great product - but, I prefer made in USA.
Again, thank you.
Since finding this forum, my wife and I send a good part of our evening reading various posts. We've learned a lot since joining. Again, thank you.
john-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook TX
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
People take jet skies over there. As mentioned, weather windows are the important thing. I recommend contacting Chris Parker for weather when crossing. His info is online.
Steveg353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
MY Nordic Tug 42 has been there too...several times.

MADE IN THE USA
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
We bought the 41' (435) last year and I can tell you we could not be happier. We're on the west coast right now but eventually plan to move it to the east and Bahamas will likely be part of the plan. The jump from florida to Grand Bahama is only about 70 nmi, so could easily be made in daylight at hull speed (about 9 knots). Plus if you decide you want to beat some weather or get there a bit faster, that tug can be pushed up to probably 18 kts. American Tugs are (IMHO) incredibly sturdy and well built. Everything is accessible and every wire, hose, valve, pump, etc is clearly labeled and properly laid in. The factory is small enough that when you have questions you can simply call or email one of the Tomco engineers and they will answer your questions.
If you're seriously considering one, it might be a worthwhile trip to visit the factory in La Conner, Washington. They're welcoming to visitors and also sometimes have an open house event in the spring.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote