Skipper or Captian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonstruck wrote:markpierce wrote:
I like the sound of "master and commander."
*Mark, have John or Doug put that under your avatar.* Very cool.

*John has made it so.*
teamwork.gif

When we sailed to Hawaii a few years ago we met two cruisers who had spent the last few years in the S. Pacific. *He was a Brit and made up a coat of arms and stamp giving himself the title of the Duke of Buckingham. *He said that in third world countries, signing in as Robert, Duke of Buckingham got him very good treatment. *This title disappeared about 4 centuries ago I gather, so no one seemed to object and no one had a way of verifying or falsifying the claim.

I think Bob has passed away, so that title is open as well if you would like to use it, Tom.

Delfin wrote:
I think Bob has passed away, so that title is open as well if you would like to use it, Tom.
*The Duke of Skinny Dippin'?

Maybe if Mark can get master and commander, Doug can swap out my "guru" for Duke.

I think when going through the locks they used Skipper?* **About the only time I have heard captain is from yachts.* When people ask we refer ourselves as a live a board, live on and/or owner a 58 ft trawler or just Debe/Phil, which usually leads to a discussion and/or questions.

Phil, please explain something, I often wanted to ask, even before, in the PMM days, but never got round to it. Where does your nom de plume, Phil/Fill come from - from what is is derived, should I say...?

I think we are skippers clear and simple. Only rarely does a captian enter our world of yachting and the use of the word is just plain wrong. Because yachting is somewhat of a party world I can see how folks can throw the word around and have a bit of fun but that dos'nt make it correct just somewhat pretentious and part of the "fun" of boating.

Good point.

Here is what Wikipedia has to sayy:
<ul>[*]Captain (nautical), the person in command of a ship or similar vessel[/list]
So, I guess if you are in command of your vessel and want to be a captain, you are.

I will usually address other vessels communicated with as Capt., Skipper, or just Cap.* That includes bridge tenders, lockmasters, and dockmasters.* It may not be exactly correct, but the respect that goes with those titles usually illicits a courteous response.

Moonstruck wrote:

Here is what Wikipedia has to sayy:
<ul>[*]Captain (nautical), the person in command of a ship or similar vessel[/list]
So, I guess if you are in command of your vessel and want to be a captain, you are.

I will usually address other vessels communicated with as Capt., Skipper, or just Cap.* That includes bridge tenders, lockmasters, and dockmasters.* It may not be exactly correct, but the respect that goes with those titles usually illicits a courteous response.

Good point Don about Bridge tenders , etc.. I always feel a little awkward when we have passed through a bridge opening and want to thank the tender. Cap'n or Skipper or such seems respectful- provided it's not an "Admiral"!

Forkliftt wrote:

Good point Don about Bridge tenders , etc.. I always feel a little awkward when we have passed through a bridge opening and want to thank the tender. Cap'n or Skipper or such seems respectful- provided it's not an "Admiral"!

*In the military if we were addressing a female sargent, we would say, "yes sargent".* If she was an officer it was, "yes ma'am".* Does that work today?

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 12th of June 2011 08:23:20 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 12th of June 2011 08:24:22 PM

The problem is not what to call folks ,

it is the clown that bought a Greek Captains hat since he got a 6 pack operators ticket , some weekend,

and demands to be known as Captain.

I address lockmasters and bridge tenders as sir or ma'am. Although, sometimes from the voice it is hard to tell if it is a man or woman.
Steve W

I prefer"mista' chip".
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• sdc10382.jpg
    sdc10382.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 61
Peter B wrote:
Phil, please explain something, I often wanted to ask, even before, in the PMM days, but never got round to it. Where does your nom de plume, Phil/Fill come from - from what is is derived, should I say...?

My first posts on PMM,*10+ years, had a lot of*grammar and spelling errors as I spell how it sounds. **Since then spell checkers has become popular and I have learned to cut, spell checker*and paste. Occasionally, when in a hurry my poor spelling/grammar comes out.

I contended that Webster was actually a poor speller but he published*HIS dictionary first so now we are stuck with it.The best dictionary are Bad Speller Dictionary and Instant Spelling Dictionary which where given/send to me by the PMM members at that time which I still use.*To me a regular dictionary is a waste*of time*because if*I do not know how to spell it how in the heck am I going to find it a big old dictionary?*******

So the name Phil/Fill.***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 11:00:54 AM

I've been called a lot of things in my day, some of which I wish I hadn't heard
biggrin.gif

When I'm running* a commercial passenger vessel I hear Captain a lot, but I don't really care, still it makes it easier to identify who someone is addressing and is a sign of respect from the crew. On my own boat, the admiral calls me everything except captain, and when the Coast Guard hails me on the VHF it's as Skipper.* ...........Arctic Traveller

Phil Fill wrote:
My first posts on PMM,*10+ years, had a lot of*grammar and spelling errors as I spell how it sounds.*

Glad you fixed that, Phil! :confused:

Phil Fill wrote:I contended that Webster was actually a poor speller but he published*HIS dictionary first so now we are stuck with it.
*So how did Webster write the first dictionary any way?* Where did he get the words with out a dictionary and how do we know he spelled them correctly the first time.

Where did he get the words with out a dictionary and how do we know he spelled them correctly the first time.

He read a book, and took the current spellin..

FF wrote:
Where did he get the words with out a dictionary and how do we know he spelled them correctly the first time.

He read a book, and took the current spellin..
*It was a joke Fred, a tongue in cheek.

Back
Top Bottom