Single or Twin Screw!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If building new, especially out of metal, I would install an articulated rudder.

Seems like too much to break or jamb. I think a nice solid Schilling rudder would be fantastic - efficient and with that wonderful fishtail wedge

Iots of things break on boats, new tugs all have much more complex drive systems and they work hard every day.

Spacecraft and airplans are complex with articulated surfaces.

Engineered and built correctly should provide recreational boating just fine.

Heck, a well designed rudder on a slow boat is amazing, but if I were to improve on it, I would go all the way.

Last edited:
From twin engines to spring lines to articulated rudders. but I still don't know which anchor is best!

After bow spring. Tied to bow cleat, 35 feet long for 40 foot boat, loop at end to drop on dock cleat near where your stern will wind up.

This is what I do if coming bow first into the dock/wind but my line is on my midship cleat. I grab the closest dock cleat then power fwd to line up with the dock. If I have to shoehorn between 2 other boats on the dock, I often back up to the dock cleat to use my aft stbd cleat with line ready. Once the stern is tied short, I can power fwd to line up with the dock.

This is a highly technical subject, I`m going to give the excellent posts more well deserved time.
One thing placing a spring line points up is the utility of a helm door, and walkaround decks. Imagine having to leave the helm via the cockpit door and return,or descend a FB ladder and return after placing a line

Absolutely!! I couldn't single-hand as easily without both.

Attachments

• 10 Kts - 1.jpg
    10 Kts - 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 23
This is what I do if coming bow first into the dock/wind but my line is on my midship cleat. I grab the closest dock cleat then power fwd to line up with the dock. If I have to shoehorn between 2 other boats on the dock, I often back up to the dock cleat to use my aft stbd cleat with line ready. Once the stern is tied short, I can power fwd to line up with the dock.

Absolutely!! I couldn't single-hand as easily without both.

Al...sure...I think the discussion jumps around and one technique isnt right for the next boat or situation. The technique I am describing is for times you CAN'T get anything but the biw near the dock. You might be able to use a midship cleated spring but I see no advantage in severe conditions.

And I am talking the rare situation that rec boaters might be caught in...but many may never try to come to a face dock in 3 or more knots of ciurrent ot 30+ knots of wind perpendicular to the face dock. Even less might be all that it takes or a shorthandec crew to make getting your beam close enough to the dock to do anything.

Twins alow a little more flexibility in moderate conditions, but I have also seen plenty of twin drivers wind up in bad situations. It's because rthey have a spring line on they are used to using and the conditions are more than their boat or helmsman can handle.

Last edited:
Agreed....just throwing it out there for others with differing boat configurations to consider.

To better describe my setup, my spring line is rigged to my amidship cleat but the tag end is draped over the bow rail when I'm going to the dock in those conditions. I enter bow first and ask that it be secured as short as allowable...then I power fwd to align with the dock. Bow and stern lines are rigged and ready for the final dock tie.

This is a highly technical subject, I`m going to give the excellent posts more well deserved time.
One thing placing a spring line points up is the utility of a helm door, and walkaround decks. Imagine having to leave the helm via the cockpit door and return,or descend a FB ladder and return after placing a line

This why I became adept at tossing my spring out the window by my helm. I mentioned earlier if you toss a bight instead of an eye it's easier to get it over something on the dock and it's made fast with both ends on the boat so you can just let one end go when your done and leaving the dock.

This little video while not directly applicable to the type boats we're talking about at least shows a possible technique. I used to work occasionally on ore boats in the Great Lakes and we made extensive use of lines both for simply docking but also for maneuvering the ship back and forth while loading ore. That was typically with wire rope on winches so a bit beyond the scope of our discussion.

Note that the vessel is keep under constant control while maneuvering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iots of things break on boats, new tugs all have much more complex drive systems and they work hard every day.

Spacecraft and airplans are complex with articulated surfaces.

Engineered and built correctly should provide recreational boating just fine.

Heck, a well designed rudder on a slow boat is amazing, but if I were to improve on it, I would go all the way.

Been watching the demonstration videos on Youtube. It appears that the boats with articulated rudders have about a 4-boat length turn radius (half of a traditional one). But then the fishtail rudder boat has about a 1.5 turn radius. Basically it's a stern thruster, in essence.

Been watching the demonstration videos on Youtube. It appears that the boats with articulated rudders have about a 4-boat length turn radius (half of a traditional one). But then the fishtail rudder boat has about a 1.5 turn radius. Basically it's a stern thruster, in essence.

think there's any cost involved?? - LOL :socool:

OMG if you go aground... :eek:

psneeld, I've been thinking about the recommendations that I've read in the past from Houston Pilots. They have a publication of recommendations for bridge design and in it they recommend either the Becker or Schilling rudders. I'm not sure if when you are referring to an "articulated" rudder that you mean a Becker or not. I don't like the idea of the external steering hydraulic cylinder in that design. Sure it works on so many commercial vessels, but what could be better than just a solidly welded up steel rudder of efficient design and no moving parts?

Anyway if you have some photos or design of what you are referring to, then please share.

Seems a lot complexity and expense to avoid slipping the gearbox in and out forward and reverse a couple of times, but it is interesting. I ran a 76' longliner briefly that had an articulated rudder and
in some ways it was nice but that was mostly holding the boat over the fishing gear as it came aboard.

Interested parties can easily find numerous articles on articulated rudders. Not that it is the end all info source, Passagemaker had a short article tolling the virtues of articulated rudders.

I have serious doubts that by design , fishtails perform better across the board. If they did, no one would design or install articulated rudders.

Not that fishtails arent a great thing too, so on new builds I would investigate both. Both can be added later also.

Last edited:
I looked into the articulating rudder for awhile and it just didn't make enough sense to install, and didn't wanted any more complexity even though it was rather simple. Ended up installing a simple fishtail with some stainless strips that worked pretty good, plus increasing my skills in the back and fill method and overall, works ok.

Interested parties can easily find numerous articles on articulated rudders. Not that it is the end all info source, Passagemaker had a short article tolling the virtues of articulated rudders.

I have serious doubts that by design , fishtails perform better across the board. If they did, no one would design or install articulated rudders.

Not that fishtails arent a great thing too, so on new builds I would investigate both. Both can be added later also.

There's a good section on rudder design in Dave Gerr's book "Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook" that discusses this issue.

I looked into the articulating rudder for awhile and it just didn't make enough sense to install, and didn't wanted any more complexity even though it was rather simple. Ended up installing a simple fishtail with some stainless strips that worked pretty good, plus increasing my skills in the back and fill method and overall, works ok.

Sometimes a little practice at a basic skill can save some money. I don't have a lot of money so I've tried to focus on improving my skills to compensate. What's your rudder made of? I've looked at putting a fishtail on mine as it's fiberglass which wouldn't take much to modify, or return to original. I also looked into a bulbous bow but that's another story.

Sometimes a little practice at a basic skill can save some money. I don't have a lot of money so I've tried to focus on improving my skills to compensate. What's your rudder made of? I've looked at putting a fishtail on mine as it's fiberglass which wouldn't take much to modify, or return to original. I also looked into a bulbous bow but that's another story.

Fish,

I believe the rudder is bronze, but hard to tell. The fish tail I put on is stainless.

Diagram below:

Attachments

• Rudder Mod.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
I have run a lot of singles. Some had more rudder response than others, but never did I think that the boat needed modification. Just varying amounts of technique needed.

Twins or singles -- have had both over the last 50 years and I am sold on singles -- less maintenance, more room to work, more storage room and in the PNW the prop is not on the outboard chines sucking in garbage. In terms of maneuvering my Mainship 34 has bow and stern thrusters and can turn in its own length

Yep. This says it best for me. I'll only add that I knew before hand the kind of risks I'm willing to take. So that meant I absolutely needed to have the protection a full keel gives the running gear.

I'm sure it's been mentioned , but the number one reason an engine stops is a fuel issue. No amount of engines, wing engines , generators or whatever will cure that.

I'm sure it's been mentioned , but the number one reason an engine stops is a fuel issue. No amount of engines, wing engines , generators or whatever will cure that.

Agreed, and that's why I'd far prefer a single engine. Two is just double the servicing and often less room to move around the engines.

Yep. This says it best for me. I'll only add that I knew before hand the kind of risks I'm willing to take. So that meant I absolutely needed to have the protection a full keel gives the running gear.

1966 my family had 38' sport fisher whose single engine quit due to fuel blockage. CG towed us into Block Island. :eek:

2010 I had twins in a 1973 31' Uniflite that both quit in narrow canal due to fuel trouble in the one tank that fed both engines. Son and I had been out all day. Luckily... that problem didn't happen until we were less than 1/2 mile from my slip as we returned; buddy passing by side towed me in! Whew!! :facepalm: :D

Our Tolly has twins and two tanks. Each engine runs of its own tank. One might quit due to fuel trouble. Doubtful that both would have same fuel problem simultaneously. :thumb: :speed boat:

Twins, each with their own independent tanks... will... "usually" mean the boat will not be stopped dead in the water due to a fuel issue. Of course, there is an exception to every rule! :whistling: :ermm:

Our Tolly has twins and two tanks. Each engine runs of its own tank. One might quit due to fuel trouble. Doubtful that both would have same fuel problem simultaneously. :thumb: :speed boat:

Twins, each with their own independent tanks... will... "usually" mean the boat will not be stopped dead in the water due to a fuel issue. Of course, there is an exception to every rule! :whistling: :ermm:

We have twins with separate tanks...

But then we tend to take on fuel in both tanks at the same time... so a load of bad fuel would likely affect both tanks, both engines...

<sigh>...

-Chris

We have twins with separate tanks...

But then we tend to take on fuel in both tanks at the same time... so a load of bad fuel would likely affect both tanks, both engines...

<sigh>...

-Chris

As I mentioned in bottom of my post #204... "Of course, there is an exception to every rule! :whistling: :ermm:"

Also - I'm sure it happens, but I've not heard of fuel so bad from a fuel dock where an engine actually would not run [or, at least somewhat run - lol] on it. Have heard of dirty fuel where fuel filter needed constant cleaning.

:speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom