Single Handed suggestions......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LGRAFF

Hi TF,

I can just about see retirement, and WOW does it look great!!

I am looking at doing the Loop, and taking some time in the Bahama's after coming around the keys.

Question: What type of boat in the 50-100k range would work if I am am going to be doing the majority of this solo? I have been looking @42' trawlers, but it seems that might be a little more boat than I can solo. The Mainship 35 looks OK and there are loads of them for sale. I have been boating for decades, but on smaller, single engine boats (Runabout,Pontoon). Is it a matter of just learning the boat? Has anyone done this solo? Seems like Docking, locks, etc might be an issue as I cannot line handle and navigate at the same time (unless I practice tossing dock lines out the window or off the flybridge.) Safety to myself and others must come 1st and I don't want more boat than can be used in a safe and responsible manner. Each boat is different, I know with the pontoons it is 2nd nature as I have decades of exp on them. Can the same be said with a 35-40 ft trawler, is it just a matter of time on the water with any particular boat?

A pontoon and a trawler, although both float, seem to be very different animals, the ability to have situational awareness on a pontoon is very easy as I have 360 degree open LOS, an 8.5 beam, and it weighs less than 4k lbs, and responds to inputs a lot faster than a 30k trawler would.

Looking for anyone that might have done solo looping on a trawler and what that experience was like.

Thx,

Len

Hi Len,
I have not done the loop, but I do have some suggestions about singlehanding. First, get a boat with side deck access from the helm on both sides. Very important for handling dock lines, especially if singlehanding. (My current boat does not have this). Second, a 42' trawler is not too much boat for you to singlehand. I had a Californian 42 that was easy to handle and anchor singlehanded. Just plan each event ahead of time, with a plan B and C in case things go sideways. Sounds like a great adventure. Good luck! :thumb:

Cheers, Bill

I run a rather basic 38' single, probably similar to a MS 35 in interior and handling.

I have single handed it all over the southern US coast and a couple of trips in the Bahamas. No problem handling it, and it is plenty of room for two. Three and there are times someone is stepping on someone else or their stuff. I would not want anything bigger than what I have. Longest staying on it has been a month or so. Living full time and it would get tight.

When coming in to dock, I linger near by and get bow, stern and spring lines on the cleats, set on the deck for quick grabbing, and hang the fenders. Then lean on the dock and hop out and move quick to get the lines secured. If an adverse wind, get the center cleat line (spring) on the dock first, it will hold the whole boat from pivoting off.

Most marinas will have guys meet you to catch lines, makes it super easy.

I do not have a side door from the helm (lower helm), but straight out the pilot house about 10' and I am in the cockpit. Quick trip.

If you are piloting from the flybridge, the time down the ladder can make single handing dicey.

Nice to have a bow thruster too.

I single handed the Loop in '06 on a Mainship 34 and it was pretty straight forward. I did operate the boat from the flybridge and could get from the helm to a side deck for line handling in the locks in 4-5 seconds. I think successful single handing in locks(probably the most challenging aspect as your pretty much on your own, no assistance is available unlike marinas) requires a reasonable degree of physical agility and strength. As far as boats go, single handing gives you a significant amount of flexibility, I found my Mainship 34 quite comfortable for extended periods of living aboard, even with occasional guests.

I run a rather basic 38' single, probably similar to a MS 35 in interior and handling.

I have single handed it all over the southern US coast and a couple of trips in the Bahamas. No problem handling it, and it is plenty of room for two. Three and there are times someone is stepping on someone else or their stuff. I would not want anything bigger than what I have. Longest staying on it has been a month or so. Living full time and it would get tight.

When coming in to dock, I linger near by and get bow, stern and spring lines on the cleats, set on the deck for quick grabbing, and hang the fenders. Then lean on the dock and hop out and move quick to get the lines secured. If an adverse wind, get the center cleat line (spring) on the dock first, it will hold the whole boat from pivoting off.

Most marinas will have guys meet you to catch lines, makes it super easy.

I do not have a side door from the helm (lower helm), but straight out the pilot house about 10' and I am in the cockpit. Quick trip.

If you are piloting from the flybridge, the time down the ladder can make single handing dicey.

Nice to have a bow thruster too.
I agree with absolutely everything Ski has said. Although I only helm from the flybridge, scrambling down the ladder takes time which you don't have when single handling.:popcorn:

I agree with most of what others have said with a few additional comments.

I can single hand my Mainship 34HT very easily in most situations. I have thrusters bow & stern and added wireless remote last yr before doing 110 locks in NY & Trent Severn. The remote allowed me to easily assist my mate when winds & current were substantial.

I only have a stbd side helm door and it makes stbd side ties easy. There are a number of locks that require port side tie and would be much more difficult for me.
A helm door on both sides would be a high want.

I have no flybridge to deal with and being a Sr not interested. IMO rushing off a bridge to handle lines is a formula for mishaps and the question is more when than if an incident occurs.

Docking single is much less of an issue than locking as dock hands are generally available. When locking when up bound you are basically on your own. Adequate / Extra fenders for both sides are a big help.

I go along with the consensus . Up to about 40 feet with side decks you should be able to do just fine. Just get some practice. A 40 footer is indeed different than a pontoon or ski boat. I would recommend a flybridge also.

Welcome Aboard.

pete

A set of controls in the cockpit can make solo docking much easier.
I’ve added controls at the center of the transom, great for docking on either side, or for backing in.

Size and configuration matter less than skipper's boat handling and agility capabilities.

So it can vary quite a bit.

Every day you see all kinds of combos... an 18 foot bow rider with 8 people onboard crash and burn...then a 50 foot sprotfish, glide into place with just a delivery captain on board, no dock hands to boot.

Last edited:
As you might infer from the previous posts, ergonomic vary greatly from boat to boat regardless of size. And more importantly, so do individuals' adeptness, agility, coordination, focus and strengths and general rodeo skills.

For instance, my big tub of a Hatteras with 60' LOA and high freeboard, I , a person inherently quite lacking in much of the aforementioned abilities, could and did eventually single hand it because the ergonomics were superb. Doors to each side of the lower helm opened to wide wrap around decks, and the gates to get off the boat were immediately out the doors. Even had a strategically placed deep portlight right below each gate so I could climb down to the dock easily. I could get from helm to bow or stern in seconds. 360 degree views from each helm. It was just Ann and I from the get-go of cruising, and the two of us combined into what might compose a mariner of average abilities. After a couple years of full time cruising and living aboard we got pretty good and confident as a team.

And so on. On the other hand, I have been on boats in the 35-42 foot range that I cannot see myself being able to single hand, and some 75 footers I could.

All that is in many ways not relevant to you, because I'm not you and vice-versa. So you will need to go look at boats and evaluate them in light of your own abilities and intended uses. That's what Ann and I did, focus on ergonomics first, based on our learnings from various bareboat charters and crewing on others' boats.

I single hand an 83' boat. My first boat was 65' and was my smallest private boat. Size isn't the issue.
You need to pre-plan solutions to all the problems that might come up while traveling alone. Engine, electrical, flooding issues that could come up. Know your systems.

Dock and handling lines requires preparation. You need your lines and fenders out and ready. Sometimes you need to realize wind and current makes docking too dangerous for docking single handed. You can't be in a hurry. You may need to anchor and wait for better conditions.

You can get controls that allow you to remotely control the engines, anchor, autopilot, etc.

Whatever your new boat is, you need to practice all the difficult single handed activities until you're good, before you start on your cruise.

I am is the final stages of shopping for my single handed loop boat. I thought the Mainship 390 was the one for me but after sea trial I found it to be a lot of boat to dock solo when is was windy. I have since rethought what my true needs are and I am going smaller without a flybridge but with port and starboard wheelhouse doors. Survey is tomorrow if it passes I will let you know what I am going with.

Not cheap, but YachtController and bow thruster turns docking into the equivalent of a hand-held video game. Add a stern thruster and you won't even have to set down your martini while docking. This or something similar is what BACCHUS said he added to his Mainship 34 (good looking boat, BTW)

Videos on this link are pretty amateurish -- turn off volume to avoid irritation. But you get the idea. Oh, and don't forget to change the batteries often - if it leaks, it will destroy the remote control, which is incredibly expensive, though not as expensive as the gelcoat repair if you don't have skills as a back-up.

https://www.yachtcontroller.com/video

I've been on boats where they're used and they're cool, though I'm not a fan of wireless gadgets due to reliability concerns. A cockpit helm station is also a possibility, especially if the boat is equipped with electronic engine controls.

Good luck!

Peter

Last edited:
Get any boat you want. The key is not added Expensive accessories, bow thruster, stern thruster, etc, (They are nice, although they can and do quit working or become compromised at times.)

The key to single-handing any boat is to spend time doing it in various conditions and having lines/bumpers all pre arranged and set.
LEPKE said it best, above In post#11.
You will develop: Plan A; B; C; for each scenario. Thinking ahead of the developing scenario will help more than any accessory. Any operator needs the basic skills, in case of accessory failure. Know when to abort.

Regarding helm location and quick access to the amidship for docking: This is convenient, although not necessary. It is well proven that planning ahead will cover a single-handed operator. Most any scenario can be handled, regardless of the layout and location of the helm control or reasonable wind and current.

There are many tricks to make single-handing easy in many scenarios and conditions. Practice and tricks learned from talking to others that are well versed at doing will allow you to handle different wind, current, helm location and machinery available.

If you are willing to put in the time you will feel confident taking most any boat you want. Practice in safe areas and pretend it is a tight situation with wind and current being problematic. Practicing is cheap while giving the most confidence. The more time you put in, the more you will know this to be true. Plans A,B & C.

Last edited:
Being proficient with Plan A docking scenario is a given but being just as proficient with plans B & C make a running solo a possibility.

I'll make a mention of budget. You say $50-$100k range. Is that purchase only and you have additional funds to fix/equip/etc? Or is that all in?

Also, are you looking to buy a boat you can basically step on and go? (Or close to it.?)

If it were me with that budget I would think a 42-footer would not be in the condition I'd like (unless you are planning an additional chunk but I can't tell from your post). One way to get a boat in better condition for the same money is to go smaller. Also, many things cost more for a larger boat (and some costs go up exponentially). Engines may be the same, but a bigger anchor needs a bigger windlass, takes bigger rode. Larger fenders, more windows and ports, etc.

You could also increase your budget, get lucky with an amazing deal, or spend more time DIY fixing to "add" funds.

Not trying to discourage you but just some food for thought. Admittedly my bias is that I'd rather have a smaller boat in better shape than a larger rougher one (if budget is fixed). Being solo there is less potential for "needing your own space" on any given boat (it's all your space).

I single-hand our boat occasionally. Docking with the wind blowing you off of the dock is very tricky alone.

If it were me with that budget I would think a 42-footer would not be in the condition I'd like....... One way to get a boat in better condition for the same money is to go smaller............ I'd rather have a smaller boat in better shape than a larger rougher one (if budget is fixed). .
Frosty makes good sense! (certainly when it comes to selling the boat. And it will!)

I had not paid attention to the OP's budget. And we haven't heard, as someone else also questioned, is what the budget is after purchase. So I am going to default back to the great Skipper Bob dictum" Buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on, not the biggest boat you can afford". If I was going to single-hand a boat on the loop and had that much to spend, I'd go with some sort of mid to high 20 footer with outboard(s), in a walk around or express style. A "camping boat" as Ann fondly calls them, and we're thinking of one like that as our next craft. That would actually be a lot of fun, and you could just enjoy the journey instead of futzing around fixing or fixing up the boat all the time. And it lowers the need for a dinghy in many places.

Doesn't get much easier than this: 360-degree deck, doors on both sides of helm, deck and helm close to dock height, bow thruster, mid-ship cleats.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
For reference...

We have a very strong construction, good condition and extremely comfortable boat. Other great boat builds have just as good and similar styles/features. We happen to be attracted to Tollys. Well cared for "vintage aged" boats can offer one heck of a great deal. Usually takes some searching to locate the correct one... but, afterall... looking at many boats to find "her" can be lots of fun!

Avatar and Photos Show: Our twin screw, 34' Tollycraft "Tri Cabin". She has a very roomy rear master stateroom and large V-berth front guest stateroom... both sleeping quarters equipped with their own heads and handy full room showers. She's easy to handle for one. Comfortable in every way for two. Nice for three or four. Roomy salon. Great galley. Powerful gen set. Sturdy, fairly wide swim step. Has accommodated four adults for long weekends. Usually it's just we two. Exterior has many square feet of bimini covered sun deck and fly bridge areas for hours of relaxation at anchor.

Purchase any boat as you may see fit... but, don't overlook the opportunity that vintage, well cared for, top quality builders' fiberglass boats can offer.

Happy "Boat-Choice" Daze - Art :speed boat: :thumb:

Attachments

• Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59
  • Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 53
  • The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9-2-13 Sunrise.jpg
    9-2-13 Sunrise.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Mem Day Sunrise -2- 3017.JPG
    Mem Day Sunrise -2- 3017.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 54
Dock access solely from a swim deck is not ideal for single-handed docking.

I did the Loop solo in 2017 with the boat in my avatar. It is 45' (50' LOA), single engine, bow thruster, and no side decks. If you want to buy your boat and leave tomorrow, there will be a steep learning curve if you don't give up. If you want to buy the boat, learn to handle it, add accessories as needed, get proficient at locking and docking, there are probably few boats that meet the bridge clearance and draft limitations, that work work ok or better.

Cockpit docking station is a cheap addition to your boat. Kapnd is right, Look at Teds setup on Slowhand.

One of the nice features that could be added to many boats is a stern docking station. The controls on mine are a single lever that controls transmission and throttle, bow thruster control, and a jog lever that turns the rudder through the autopilot. It gives you unparalleled vision when backing into a slip or side tying. I use mine about 90% of the time when docking. The location makes it easy to deploy stern or spring lines as your docking. I don't use it much when locking as many times I'm holding position with my mid ship cleet which is easier to access from the pilothouse.

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

There is a mid ship cleet on each side that you will need to use in the locks with floating bollards.

DSCN1645.jpg

Ted

Get any boat you want. The key is not added Expensive accessories, bow thruster, stern thruster, etc, (They are nice, although they can and do quit working or become compromised at times.)

The key to single-handing any boat is to spend time doing it in various conditions and having lines/bumpers all pre arranged and set.
LEPKE said it best, above In post#11.
You will develop: Plan A; B; C; for each scenario. Thinking ahead of the developing scenario will help more than any accessory. Any operator needs the basic skills, in case of accessory failure. Know when to abort.

Regarding helm location and quick access to the amidship for docking: This is convenient, although not necessary. It is well proven that planning ahead will cover a single-handed operator. Most any scenario can be handled, regardless of the layout and location of the helm control or reasonable wind and current.

[et cetera]

I mostly agree, but would just add that a buyer can make it easier on him/herself during the shopping phase when it comes to choosing (or not) features that may make single-handing easier.

Some of the features that might make single-handing easier might conflict with other features on the shoppers "Need it" list, so there's always an option for trade-offs...

But if choice comes down to two boats a shopper likes about equally well, and one of those comes with some features that may make single-handing easier, faster, smoother, whatever... making a conscious decision about it one way or the other wouldn't hurt.

And then moving further afield and in a different direction from all that... a bow and/or stern thruster can be added to darn near any boat, should that eventually be warranted. (Not a recommendation, just an observation.)

-Chris

Thank you for all the responses. The budget is open, just throwing around 50-100k seems about right for a used boat for the loop, but I am only looking online right now. SOLDBOAT shows some craft list and sell prices vary by A LOT. Like why did that boat go for 100k under ask? Did it float? Right now I think i will be using the services of a buyers agent as this is different than just writing a check for a pontoon boat. Spending the money is not an issue, spending it wisely is. Given i have some time prior to purchase, I can wait until the right deal comes along.

Glad to hear from people who have done this, its not a pipe dream then. I am looking at purchasing the boat and putting it in tip top shape and getting familiar with it for 24-36 months prior to leaving. If I aint got it down by then, I probably never will and will head off to an old folks home.

I single hand my 45'. It doesn't have side decks so I hang the fenders from the top at about mid ship. I don't spend much time in marinas. Once I leave my slip I spend all season cruising the PNW and mostly anchoring in coves. When I do need to resupply I call in to whatever marina I'm going to dock at and get a slip or place at the guest dock. Then I go online and pull up a map of the marina and plan my approach. When people see that I'm single handing they usually help out, which I greatly appreciate. I have bow and stern thrusters which help a lot and I keep a remote for the thrusters around my neck. It never fails that the boat starts to drift away from the dock by the time I get from the pilot house down to the cockpit and that remote saves a lot of running back and forth. I still get nervous every time I have to bring her in but so far there has always been someone there to grab a line. I've only had the 45 for going on 3 seasons and all of my previous boats were much smaller. The nice thing about a trawler is the weight and the keel. When docking it tends to stay put and is much less affected by the wind than a smaller and lighter boat. In some ways the larger boat is easier to handle in a marina.

I've seen skippers of much larger boats single hand at the dock and make it look easy. With enough practice anything can become easy. I'm still in the practice phase.

Go big the first time and save yourself some money in the long run.

Cheers!

As others have said, you can single-hand just about any size boat with the right tools and prep. I happen to believe strongly in the need for a door at the lower helm station onto the side deck. That takes a lot of stress out of hopping around to reach cleats and pilings.

Plan your maneuver, prepare what you'll need, and take your time. If things look to be going awry, be ready to abort, back off and just wait.

Every boat has its idiosyncrasies. As with most things, practice may not make "perfect," but practice definitely makes "better." One more thing: even with boats that I had months or even years of experience handing, when the wind pipes up and current gets sporty, I have discovered things in five minutes that I hadn't learned in months of calm conditions!

But if choice comes down to two boats a shopper likes about equally well, and one of those comes with some features that may make single-handing easier, faster, smoother, whatever... making a conscious decision about it one way or the other wouldn't hurt.

Good words there Chris. I'd submit that even if you plan on having crew, be it just a partner or a slew, those same words apply. A boat that can be single-handed easily, will be a dream with crew, and besides, things happen and one day some member of the crew may have to single hand it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom