Old 04-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doesn't get much easier than this: 360-degree deck, doors on both sides of helm, deck and helm close to dock height, bow thruster, mid-ship cleats.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving berth.jpg  
Old 04-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Doesn't get much easier than this: 360-degree deck, doors on both sides of helm, deck and helm close to dock height, bow thruster, mid-ship cleats.
For under a 100 grand? I too overlooked that important statistic.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For reference...

We have a very strong construction, good condition and extremely comfortable boat. Other great boat builds have just as good and similar styles/features. We happen to be attracted to Tollys. Well cared for "vintage aged" boats can offer one heck of a great deal. Usually takes some searching to locate the correct one... but, afterall... looking at many boats to find "her" can be lots of fun!

Avatar and Photos Show: Our twin screw, 34' Tollycraft "Tri Cabin". She has a very roomy rear master stateroom and large V-berth front guest stateroom... both sleeping quarters equipped with their own heads and handy full room showers. She's easy to handle for one. Comfortable in every way for two. Nice for three or four. Roomy salon. Great galley. Powerful gen set. Sturdy, fairly wide swim step. Has accommodated four adults for long weekends. Usually it's just we two. Exterior has many square feet of bimini covered sun deck and fly bridge areas for hours of relaxation at anchor.

Purchase any boat as you may see fit... but, don't overlook the opportunity that vintage, well cared for, top quality builders' fiberglass boats can offer.

Happy "Boat-Choice" Daze - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg   Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg   The Office Name_100_1656.jpg   Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg   9-2-13 Sunrise.jpg  

Mem Day Sunrise -2- 3017.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Dock access solely from a swim deck is not ideal for single-handed docking.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I did the Loop solo in 2017 with the boat in my avatar. It is 45' (50' LOA), single engine, bow thruster, and no side decks. If you want to buy your boat and leave tomorrow, there will be a steep learning curve if you don't give up. If you want to buy the boat, learn to handle it, add accessories as needed, get proficient at locking and docking, there are probably few boats that meet the bridge clearance and draft limitations, that work work ok or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Cockpit docking station is a cheap addition to your boat. Kapnd is right, Look at Teds setup on Slowhand.
One of the nice features that could be added to many boats is a stern docking station. The controls on mine are a single lever that controls transmission and throttle, bow thruster control, and a jog lever that turns the rudder through the autopilot. It gives you unparalleled vision when backing into a slip or side tying. I use mine about 90% of the time when docking. The location makes it easy to deploy stern or spring lines as your docking. I don't use it much when locking as many times I'm holding position with my mid ship cleet which is easier to access from the pilothouse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1657.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	102008

Name:	DSCN1543.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	102009

There is a mid ship cleet on each side that you will need to use in the locks with floating bollards.

Name:	DSCN1645.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	102010

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickair View Post
Get any boat you want. The key is not added Expensive accessories, bow thruster, stern thruster, etc, (They are nice, although they can and do quit working or become compromised at times.)

The key to single-handing any boat is to spend time doing it in various conditions and having lines/bumpers all pre arranged and set.
LEPKE said it best, above In post#11.
You will develop: Plan A; B; C; for each scenario. Thinking ahead of the developing scenario will help more than any accessory. Any operator needs the basic skills, in case of accessory failure. Know when to abort.

Regarding helm location and quick access to the amidship for docking: This is convenient, although not necessary. It is well proven that planning ahead will cover a single-handed operator. Most any scenario can be handled, regardless of the layout and location of the helm control or reasonable wind and current.

[et cetera]
I mostly agree, but would just add that a buyer can make it easier on him/herself during the shopping phase when it comes to choosing (or not) features that may make single-handing easier.

Some of the features that might make single-handing easier might conflict with other features on the shoppers "Need it" list, so there's always an option for trade-offs...

But if choice comes down to two boats a shopper likes about equally well, and one of those comes with some features that may make single-handing easier, faster, smoother, whatever... making a conscious decision about it one way or the other wouldn't hurt.

And then moving further afield and in a different direction from all that... a bow and/or stern thruster can be added to darn near any boat, should that eventually be warranted. (Not a recommendation, just an observation.)

-Chris
Old 04-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #27

City: Camp Hill, PA
Thank you for all the responses. The budget is open, just throwing around 50-100k seems about right for a used boat for the loop, but I am only looking online right now. SOLDBOAT shows some craft list and sell prices vary by A LOT. Like why did that boat go for 100k under ask? Did it float? Right now I think i will be using the services of a buyers agent as this is different than just writing a check for a pontoon boat. Spending the money is not an issue, spending it wisely is. Given i have some time prior to purchase, I can wait until the right deal comes along.

Glad to hear from people who have done this, its not a pipe dream then. I am looking at purchasing the boat and putting it in tip top shape and getting familiar with it for 24-36 months prior to leaving. If I aint got it down by then, I probably never will and will head off to an old folks home.
LGRAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #28

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I single hand my 45'. It doesn't have side decks so I hang the fenders from the top at about mid ship. I don't spend much time in marinas. Once I leave my slip I spend all season cruising the PNW and mostly anchoring in coves. When I do need to resupply I call in to whatever marina I'm going to dock at and get a slip or place at the guest dock. Then I go online and pull up a map of the marina and plan my approach. When people see that I'm single handing they usually help out, which I greatly appreciate. I have bow and stern thrusters which help a lot and I keep a remote for the thrusters around my neck. It never fails that the boat starts to drift away from the dock by the time I get from the pilot house down to the cockpit and that remote saves a lot of running back and forth. I still get nervous every time I have to bring her in but so far there has always been someone there to grab a line. I've only had the 45 for going on 3 seasons and all of my previous boats were much smaller. The nice thing about a trawler is the weight and the keel. When docking it tends to stay put and is much less affected by the wind than a smaller and lighter boat. In some ways the larger boat is easier to handle in a marina.

I've seen skippers of much larger boats single hand at the dock and make it look easy. With enough practice anything can become easy. I'm still in the practice phase.

Go big the first time and save yourself some money in the long run.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
As others have said, you can single-hand just about any size boat with the right tools and prep. I happen to believe strongly in the need for a door at the lower helm station onto the side deck. That takes a lot of stress out of hopping around to reach cleats and pilings.

Plan your maneuver, prepare what you'll need, and take your time. If things look to be going awry, be ready to abort, back off and just wait.

Every boat has its idiosyncrasies. As with most things, practice may not make "perfect," but practice definitely makes "better." One more thing: even with boats that I had months or even years of experience handing, when the wind pipes up and current gets sporty, I have discovered things in five minutes that I hadn't learned in months of calm conditions!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
But if choice comes down to two boats a shopper likes about equally well, and one of those comes with some features that may make single-handing easier, faster, smoother, whatever... making a conscious decision about it one way or the other wouldn't hurt.
Good words there Chris. I'd submit that even if you plan on having crew, be it just a partner or a slew, those same words apply. A boat that can be single-handed easily, will be a dream with crew, and besides, things happen and one day some member of the crew may have to single hand it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I single hand my Mainship 390 pretty regularly. The 350/390 are the same boat. Mainship just changed the way they were measured, hence the model # change. Docking is easy with the bow thruster. At the lower station with the starboard side door open I keep a boat pole to reach lines on the dock. If its not our slip I prep the lines before entering the marina. Again from the side door you can easily rig a spring line. once that is done. your in. If you have to dock port side to you need to use the back door. However that is not an issue as the boat walks to port when in reverse.
Good luck
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:08 AM   #32
FF
Guru

The key seems to be the ability to get from the helm quickly to a large mid ship cleat , so a breast line can be used.

This is about the only line that can be tossed to dock 'Helpers" that when tied tight will not screw up the docking drill.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #33

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Agree with some of the other posters. Whatever boat you buy, practice on it and figure out how it handles in different conditions. I solo a 3870 a lot, and have a Plan "A" (which is when everything goes right), Plan "B" (try something different when I have to abort and try again), and Plan "C" (head back out and figure a new plan "A" & "B")

I would say, a heavier displacement boat would be easier to single hand than my light weight, high freeboard boat. The extra momentum would be nice to have.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Yes, It's all about having multiple options and knowing when and how and when to use them. Every boat behaves differently, so what works best for one may not necessarily apply to another.
If you are used to smaller lightweight boats, you'll have to get familiar to the momentum of a larger boat. The inertia of a heavy boat is very useful if you use it to your advantage. It can also get you into trouble if you are not expecting the slower reaction times.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #35
Guru

My observation is that a sun deck model without any cockpit is rather more difficult for single handling. When all access is via ladders, the operator will need some speed and agility!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven
I did the same thing you are looking to do. I retired a few years ago at 59, bought a 1976 Grand Banks 30 and did the Loop. Trip of a lifetime and I can’t wait to do it again. I did it solo and no big problems. The locks were straight forward but docking in some of the tidal areas ( due to the current) provided a couple of challenges. My single engine diesel didn’t have any thrusters and I could have used them a time or two. My best suggestion is just practice boat handling so you can put it wherever you want in various wind conditions, etc.

In as far as boat selection that’s a huge topic. I can say I did like my small diesel as I spent less than $5k in fuel on the whole Loop. People have said buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on. I concur.
Sherburnloopblog.wordpress.com
dsherburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #37

You might want to consider a Ranger Tug and I have one for sale
jeffimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #38

City: Redlands
I did the loop single handed on my36 ft, single engine Marine trader. Trip of a lifetime. A couple of thoughts: You will do over 100 locks. Often several in one day. Make it easy on yourself. Dual helms with doors on both sides made a huge difference. The ability to quickly get around the boat was critical several times. I found myself standing at the lower helm with lines in my hands running through the door while I settled the boat in wind or strong current.

Having a fly bridge provided great views. Having a well protected prop saved me more than once. There are places on the loop where shops make a good living doing nothing but prop repair.

Imagine tying up to a canal wall after a tiring day, with sky’s darkening, heavy rain, and tornado warning. Now ask yourself how big a boat do you really want. Then imagine being on the hook in the most beautiful bay you can imagine, warm, crystal clear blue water, and white sand beach you can swim to and ask how big a boat do you really need.

For me the answer was 36 feet, a great sound system, a 42 inch tv, comfortable seating, and an ice maker.

Go for it, and have a ball!

Arch
Old 05-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #39

City: Seattle
Yachtcontroller bow and stern thruster remote control hanging on your neck.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #40

City: Bristol, RI
I wouldn't start with the Loop.

Depending on where you buy the boat, I would first go to the Bahamas for the winter. Perfect place to slow down to "retired speed". Lots of islands to see. All the fun of a foreign country but lots of American cruisers for friends. You won't see everything in 10 winters (and many cruisers go back for 10 years trying). Lots of people single handing.

Then do a spring trip up the ICW to Maine in May and back south on the ICW in the fall to the Keys. The East Coast of the US is full of interesting cruising, great towns, and wonderful cities like Charleston. They have great facilities for cruisers and lots of maritime history.

In this trip, you'll have seen some of the greatest cruising grounds in the world with many fewer miles than the loop and many fewer long days listening to the motor.

Then do the Loop - if you feel like it.

For the Bahamas and Maine, good anchoring gear is a must. You'll anchor as often as you tie up. And anchoring is much easier for a singlehander than docking. Be sure you have good side decks to walk to the bow. Have a "new gen" anchor like a Mantus, Rocna, Ultra, or Manson Supreme with at least 150ft of chain and 150ft of nylon - with a good windlass you can operate from the helm. Have a salt water wash down hose on the bow to wash mud from the chain and anchor in the muddy areas.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote