Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #41

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: NOMAD
Vessel Model: 48' DeFever Trawler
Like I said, I don't use it much but when I need it I'm glad I spent the $9k to have it installed!
jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #42
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a single screw with bow and stern thrusters, it's like having twin engines. Don't know what we would do without them.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2825697025.jpg   image-2336813776.jpg  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
This information is from 2008. Wellington Canal lock will not allow a single handed cruiser through. Actually on the upbound (?) trip three people on board is required.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #44

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
This information is from 2008. Wellington Canal lock will not allow a single handed cruiser through. Actually on the upbound (?) trip three people on board is required. Marty
Did you mean the Welland canal?
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #45

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
We had a Hat 53 MY with twin Cummns for 9 years. It was actually not bad to single hand. We now have a 34' Mainship II, which is single with no thruster, and naturally harder to single hand. Since having the two experiences, I agree that the heavier boat is actually easier to single hand.

Once exception is a 27' Albin Family Cruiser I had for a few years. That boat handled like a dream with its small single diesel and no thruster. I did a single hand trip of 600 miles on the Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers (8 locks) with no problems. There is always an exception.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #46
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
heavier boat is actually easier to single.
Couldn't agree more, had to move the boat into a bigger slip a couple weeks ago and It was blowing, our boat coming close to the 100,000lb mark didn't move even with its high windage, even though I wasn't single handing and had two other people on the boat, I feel confidently I could of done it single handed as long as there was someone on the dock ready to catch lines. Also for people that have Vertical Capstan windlasses, i would dis-engage the clutch before coming to the dock. it's handy when man power won't do the job, just a few raps around the capstan and some clicks of foot buttons, viola!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesy View Post
Did you mean the Welland canal?
Yep, was really tired yesterday.

Thanks for the correction.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Couldn't agree more, had to move the boat into a bigger slip a couple weeks ago and It was blowing, our boat coming close to the 100,000lb mark didn't move even with its high windage, even though I wasn't single handing and had two other people on the boat, I feel confidently I could of done it single handed as long as there was someone on the dock ready to catch lines. Also for people that have Vertical Capstan windlasses, i would dis-engage the clutch before coming to the dock. it's handy when man power won't do the job, just a few raps around the capstan and some clicks of foot buttons, viola!
You (and others) are right on the mark. Our current boast is much easier to dock than our trailer boats were.

Except in a very serious cross wind one person can easily handle the boat. Even in a pretty stiff wind I can do it myself using the mid cleat located just outside the pilothouse door.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #49
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It's all do-able with preparedness and practice. My smaller lightweight boat gets twisted around by the wind a fair bit, but I am starting to know what to expect and when, and can compensate for it.
With a strong wind from an unusual direction, I often have a dummy run prior to docking, and pull into a big empty single berth facing the same direction as my double berth to check the wind effect without bouncing off my next door neighbour.

I have become much more confident in my boat handling by taking this approach, rather than just saying "It's too windy, - we'll leave her tied up at the dock".
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single-hand, size, solo